theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 18-04-11, 09:00 AM   #21
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Must be a Scottish thing, had darkish tints on the front, no probs down here for 2 years.

Went up to Scotland and got pulled, north of Loch Lomond, said it was a ?60 fine 3 points, and the car couldn't move. In the end, said, or you can remove front tints now, and that's it. So tried to get the tints off, wouldn't budge, asked the policeman to help, he couldn't move it either.

One thing in all my years I've learnt, no matter what, always be polite and respectful to the police, they are only doing their job and can have off days.

Anyway, he said oops, cant let you drive on, wife said we are on holiday, so in the end he said, you drive off that way and I'm going the other. Nice chap and shook hands with him.

Back home was going to have the dark tints taken off, so dropped it off, went to pick it up and thought it looked OK. Guy said he hadn't put any tints back on, because of the film remover might have affected the new tints. Left it, as he said you cant legally tint fronts.

Just don't go on holiday up to Scotland in it!!!

Old 18-04-11, 09:20 AM   #22
archermav

archermav is on a distinguished road
I'm a kill joy I know, but those front tints are way too dark mate, have to let 70% of light pass through. No way will those do that. Just a polite heads up, as it will cost you ?60 should you get pulled.
archermav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 09:53 AM   #23
Leigh_EvoIX

Leigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura aboutLeigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura about
I'm looking at getting light tints on the Evo and ?80 is cheap.

Do you know what film they use? Also are you completely happy with it? I've had my last 2 cars done and was never 100% happy. Close up on the rear screen there were some small bubbles the size of a pin head.... Do you have this problem?

*MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX FQ320*
*Carbon Vortex Generator*
*Carbon Fiber Front Splitter*
*APS Dump valve*
*ARP Strengthened con rod bolts*
*Sytec uprated fuel pump*
*APS cold air induction kit*
*De-cat pipe*
*EcuTek Remap*
*407.4bhp @ 1.7 bar and 350 ft/lb*
Leigh_EvoIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 10:24 AM   #24
l18mnb

l18mnb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh_EvoIX View Post
I'm looking at getting light tints on the Evo and ?80 is cheap.

Do you know what film they use? Also are you completely happy with it? I've had my last 2 cars done and was never 100% happy. Close up on the rear screen there were some small bubbles the size of a pin head.... Do you have this problem?
i think it was called OPTICOOL, yes im happy with it, there were a few bubbles in it wen he finnished but he said they would dry out and from the sun yesterday they have, my dad had his done and was well happy with his too, plus he said weve got a garauntee for as long as we own the cars anyways and any problems just ring and he will sort them out

and the front tints look alot darker in the pics than they actually are, but hell i will take the chance with the
l18mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 10:33 AM   #25
Leigh_EvoIX

Leigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura aboutLeigh_EvoIX has a spectacular aura about
Cool thanks, may get in touch. Did you get discount for having 2 cars done? I've always had all round tints and luckily not had any problems. I have on occasions flicked the front widows down when going past traffic officers and VOSA inspections

*MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX FQ320*
*Carbon Vortex Generator*
*Carbon Fiber Front Splitter*
*APS Dump valve*
*ARP Strengthened con rod bolts*
*Sytec uprated fuel pump*
*APS cold air induction kit*
*De-cat pipe*
*EcuTek Remap*
*407.4bhp @ 1.7 bar and 350 ft/lb*
Leigh_EvoIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 10:38 AM   #26
l18mnb

l18mnb is on a distinguished road
not really a discount, he said his ebay ad was an offer cause he needed the work to come in after such a bad winter.
and dropping the windows down is something i will deffo consider lol
l18mnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 11:04 AM   #27
andys1981

andys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the roughandys1981 is a jewel in the rough
i had both my windows down that night,it was about -5 at the time,told me to pull in,then he came up and sayed windows up son,a was like arrrgghhh,they were on a mission that night right enough lol
andys1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 03:16 PM   #28
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Like when we got pulled, he drove past and I saw him do a U turn, blue lights came on, and over we went!!!!

Must have been on a drive to get rid I reckon.
Old 18-04-11, 03:36 PM   #29
Andyf

Andyf is on a distinguished road
They look great with the yellow, i'd remove the fronts though. Depending how dark they are depends on how you get dealt with, from a telling off to going to court for dangerous driving due to the condition of the car. I was also told by our Road Safety officers who deal with tints alot that 6 points for a 'dangerous' offence such as tints or carrying too many people is all it takes to lose your licence.

It shouldn't be the worry of being caught that makes you want to remove them. Think why the law is there, so you can have a clear view of the road. would you tint your windscreen to that level? What would happen if you don't spot a child on a push bike with no lights one night and pull out on them? I have been to a nasty accident with a motorcycle and a mini with illegally tinted front windows.

I hope this doesn't come across as me moaning or lecturing you as that is not my intention, i'm just telling you about my experiences/thoughts so feel free to ignore them!

You may fall in to the 'words of advice' level and not even get a ticket but I personally wouldn't risk any illegal tint on my windows just in case!
Old 18-04-11, 04:20 PM   #30
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
A guy in Wickford, Essex will do the rear end for ?90, ?150 front and back. Quite popular on the focusowners forum.... I'll be taking mine there soon, if anything, to try and reduce the heat in the car as I have no A/C.

07961542533 for anyone that's interested.
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote