theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 14-05-13, 09:53 AM   #1
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
My New Tank

Well I know its not an MG, but as you may have seen FE54 is now at its new home (Damn you lack of money! I miss that car!!) so here is her replacement:

She comes to me with 95Bhp, a *lot* of battle scars on her body, no gas struts in the boot, no wheel centre caps, sagging head lining (but only on the lower lid of the sunroof) and various other issues! But, she was a damn good deal!

She is a 1.9D (Turbo Diesel) S40 Returning around 50mpg

So far I have done the following:
  • Replaced the Gear Lever Bushes (gear change was hit and miss if you got the gear you aimed for, now is perfect again)
  • Replaced the Hazard Light switch (that stuck on and I had to jam it behind the dash to turn them off)
  • Treated the leather seats to try and stop them cracking any further
  • Fitted a decent Head Unit (the one I had in FE54)
  • Used Spray Glue and cable ties to fix the roof lining
  • Fitted New Headlight Wiper Blades
  • Replaced Passenger Side Headlight Wiper Arm

The "To Do" list:
  • Lowering Springs (on way - got them for a damn good deal)
  • Get and Refit some centre caps
  • Get and refit the tailgate struts
  • Give the outside a damn good clean and T-Cut then asses what else needs to be done to correct the battle scars
  • Work out a better way to fix the sun roof lining
  • Fit remote central locking and\or Alarm
  • EGR Bypass
  • Tuning Box (this is a would be nice and if I can get it for very cheap... probably won't happen lol)
  • New Numberplates (if I can get them cheap)
  • Replace Automatic Ariel as the one on there does not work (again if I can find it cheap... MP3's are fine for the time being!)
  • Anything else that I can think of

A note: This car was purchased to SAVE me money, so far I have spent a huge £5 fixing the issues or modifying her (including the cost of the springs) and anything else I do will be either free, or damn cheap if I can help it. In fact if anyone has some wheel centres that will fit and they would like to donate then I would happily take them off your hands lol

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 14-05-13 at 09:56 AM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-13, 10:00 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Good looking motor, loved my 440 Turbo, that was a rusty old sleeper that surprised a few!!

Wonder what the tuning box would release???

Old 14-05-13, 10:13 AM   #3
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Looks a decent car and should tidy up nicely. A mate bought one a few years back for the same reason, cost him £400 and lasted a good couple of years with minimal maintenance costs before the slush box gave up.
Old 14-05-13, 10:20 AM   #4
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Good looking motor, loved my 440 Turbo, that was a rusty old sleeper that surprised a few!!

Wonder what the tuning box would release???

TBH, this car seems to have plenty of "poke" considering its only 95bhp, roundabouts are roughly the same as when I was in the 180

The tuning box, on this model, takes it from 95 to 130bhp... but if I were to do other mods and then remap its possible to see in excess of 160bhp apparently... not that I will be spending that much money on this car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peanut View Post
Looks a decent car and should tidy up nicely. A mate bought one a few years back for the same reason, cost him £400 and lasted a good couple of years with minimal maintenance costs before the slush box gave up.
These engines apparently go on for 500,000 miles plus. I have since found out its a Renault Engine and Box and they are apparently "bullet proof" lol

The EGR valve... If I blank it off apparently it gives 10 mpg extra, increased power and torque, decreased engine wear, reduced smoke (even though this doesn't smoke at all) and is better all round for the car. BUT at the expense of a bit more pollution out the exhaust (although not enough to fail an MOT) - A blank off plate can't be that expensive surely?

Old 14-05-13, 10:44 AM   #5
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Looking on eBay, about £4! You may even be able to fabricate one for less.

Worth checking the Volvo forums though as a quick squizz shows that blanking it off can cause the ECU to throw a wobbly on some models.
Old 14-05-13, 11:05 AM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peanut View Post
Looking on eBay, about £4! You may even be able to fabricate one for less.

Worth checking the Volvo forums though as a quick squizz shows that blanking it off can cause the ECU to throw a wobbly on some models.
I'm following a thread on volvoforums.org.uk about the plates... it might not be as easy as I thought though... Will keep an eye on it and see where the thread goes

IIRC the models that throw a wobbly are the ones with DPF's fitted... Which mine does not have (so all good there!)

Old 14-05-13, 11:07 AM   #7
Captain Peanut

Worth a go then and looks simple enough to drop it out for MOT time if the emissions are a problem