theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 18-10-13, 07:29 AM   #51
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
kev mocho if you are not too impressed you have a bit of a problem going on there with that car? My old one had a de cat, induction and a re map and was 194bhp on the printout.

As for Rx8's I had a ding dong with one early one morning up a mile or so stretch of motorway and it was embarassing for him.

Don't want to open that old can of worms, but also had a second gear off roundabout tussle with a ctr. Although he was with me for a little while he too was done after a quarter of a mile.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 08:43 AM   #52
kev mocko

kev mocko is on a distinguished road
Ive no problem with the car tcb180 just stating it wasnt as quick as some cars which surprised me a little,it doesnt have any running issues at all all im stating its a standard 180 with no modifications at the min,ive had three 180s before this one and this has been the first standard one i have bought and felt a little surprised how certain cars easily kept up with it,But on a good note its getting a sports cat and full stainless tomorrow so hopefully should see some difference then,just what mods to do after that i believe the standard filter set up is very restrictive? was going to go for a panel filter upgrade but probs not the best idea?,I drove two audi tt automatics this week 2.0t i think they are a very quick car id love one if i could afford one but quite happily stick to my 180

Last edited by kev mocko; 18-10-13 at 08:46 AM.
kev mocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 12:45 PM   #53
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Dont waste money on a panel filter. Wait until you can do an inner wing job. Mine was a carbon enclosed cannister vertically behind the radiator with some stainless and silicone pipework out into the inner wing. Cost me around £150 to have it made and fitted but if you got bits could make it up yourself a lot cheaper.

That is best initial mods and was enough for me as didn't want to go into cams and mannis tbh.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 03:29 PM   #54
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
I keep threatening to do it and I’m almost ready, I have a Honda Accrord 2.4 bottom end and a Civic type R K20 head available, throw in a set of new pistons (11.5.1) then install into a ZS.
300 NASP power with a power band to die for, reliable, fast, and economical if you want it to be.
The KV6 in the ZS was quite something back in its day but realistically dated if you’re comparing it to today’s modern diesels. My last Merc was a 3 ltr single turbo making about 280bhp with 400ft/lbs and my mates ZS couldn’t keep with it, on a track day depending which track it may be a different story.
Most of us are making comparison tests on the road not the track so real world, I loved my Z but it was almost impossible to extract any meaningful power at a reasonable price. 4 pot turbo’s is the way forward if you want cheap reliable gains and a ballistic car rather than something quicker than you have.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 04:00 PM   #55
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb 180 View Post
My old one had a de cat, induction and a re map and was 194bhp on the printout.
I assume at the fly and calculated?

Any idea what whp it was?

Have seem 145whp equated to 175+fly hp, but in my mind thats just dreaming.

At least with whp there is something slightly comparable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
I keep threatening to do it and I’m almost ready, I have a Honda Accrord 2.4 bottom end and a Civic type R K20 head available, throw in a set of new pistons (11.5.1) then install into a ZS.
300 NASP power with a power band to die for, reliable, fast, and economical if you want it to be.
reliable gains and a ballistic car rather than something quicker than you have.
sounds like you are doing what the honda britcar boys did?

If so, they based their build on an article written by 2 leicestershire lads which was published in the states as a theory exercise.
The britcar build was 30hp down on what it could/should have made
Having spoke to the chaps and seen their work, the full 330hp is possible if done properly and with attention to detail.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 04:04 PM   #56
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I reckon 145 whp is closer to 170 at the fly +0.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-13, 04:28 PM   #57
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I assume at the fly and calculated?

Any idea what whp it was?

Have seem 145whp equated to 175+fly hp, but in my mind thats just dreaming.

At least with whp there is something slightly comparable

sounds like you are doing what the honda britcar boys did?

If so, they based their build on an article written by 2 leicestershire lads which was published in the states as a theory exercise.
The britcar build was 30hp down on what it could/should have made
Having spoke to the chaps and seen their work, the full 330hp is possible if done properly and with attention to detail.
Was already involved with a 340bhp build last year and that engine has been transplanted and slightly de-tuned mild road car, 300bhp is very easy to achieve you can make an easy 260+ with a stock K24 bottom and just a K20 head, the jump from 260 upwards is cams and valve train, pistons and rods and light porting work.
The replacement for that build is a full out 400bbhp k2.6 block still 4 pot but with sleeved block and over bored and stroked, will need to run dry sump with the largest Kinsler ITB’s and on ethanol it will make a lot more power than 400+, big spec engine and purely for racing.
What I have in mind is cheap and simple, reliable and 300bhp NAP is more than a match for any FWD turbo car on the road today, the plus side will be the torque at 1800 rpm to 9000rpm.
Doing it in a ZS shell will be a nice touch, Lotus Elsie boys have been doing this conversion as have the Honda crowd for years.

This was the old car on a slowish run (far land blue Honda)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPjKry_Ukew

Put that engine into a ZS quiet it down a tad though
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-13, 07:51 PM   #58
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
zs was quick enough in its day, crikey i used to play with m3 csl's and 911 gt3's on track with just 210 bhp, that was after a good few grand thrown at it mind ,lol.
Old 20-10-13, 12:17 AM   #59
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
zs was quick enough in its day, crikey i used to play with m3 csl's and 911 gt3's on track with just 210 bhp, that was after a good few grand thrown at it mind ,lol.
I like dreaming too! But that just proves what i said, to at least have a chance a ZS needs money thrown at it to tune it up. Sorry but there's no way on earth a ZS with 210 bhp would even get in the shadow of a GT3 or CSL. Sometimes i feel ashamed to be a ZS owner as all the other owners seem to have ridiculous delusions of grandeur!! Maybe why i've been off the site for 2 years, couldn't put up with the bull sh!t !!!
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-13, 05:54 AM   #60
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcam24 View Post
That's because there was nothing in the car. Quite literally just a seat.

On topic of zs's engines have moved on again, now you have 1.4 supercharged turbo cars with 200bhp and tuneable.

You also have diesels making way more power than the accepted 140 odd back in 2001
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote