theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 04-10-13, 12:55 PM   #11
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Miss the sound track, the handling & performance. Don't miss the thin tin body panels that dent too easily, bland interior and hard ride.

On plus side, got a genuine 40k 2003 Merc C220 Cdi always gives 40 to 50 mpg and after winning one of those chip box things on ebay for £30 I got her from 143 to 170 bhp so she will pop along quite nicely.

I have an added bonus or two though. Got a lovely Astra Gte for sunny days and our 260bhp scooby will be finally on the road around November I guess. Can't wait for a blast in that one.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 01:42 PM   #12
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev mocko View Post
I really like your zs too craig it looks the part now,i like the exhaust too what make backbox is that one?,i agree the v6 can be costly compared to a diesel but its the sound of the v6 im glad to have again,i had a combo 1.3cdti van for almost 5months and the difference when i got back in the zs for a test drive before i bought it put a smile back on my face
Thanks for the compliments its got a Piper cat back on it with 4" slash cut rear box. Used to have the 4" straight cut before. Also got a decat on it which does help with the noise and performance and sounds lovely when got with pops and so on.
Yeah the van is actually going today, options didnt work out with having that but christ the difference in economy was great. 140 miles + to £10 which was brilliant for round town blasting.
This is why thinking about the derv route again, low and slow with a smokey load of poke when wanted will be my approach
Old 04-10-13, 02:15 PM   #13
Dave

Dave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPSKI View Post
Having owned a 150+ Derv I can see what Dave is saying, but it was nowhere near as quick as my 180, even when dropping down to third. I'd be interested in swapping cars Dave
Swapsies, no returns??

Cheers
Dave

MGR East Anglia - THE area meet, for all enthusiasts of MGR
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 02:56 PM   #14
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
While mine isn't reliable yet, it is tuned that bit higher and it will give much faster cars a run for their money. handling wise it will be the same in the derv as the 180 as the KV6 and L are about the same weight, so it would just be learning to drive in the torque band not the upper rev limit.

I still get 40-45mpg out mine on average. It will go higher if i drive at 2000rpm every-where and short shift; but it will do less i i run it around at 4000rpm in every gear.

I would say consider your costs carefully. A diesel commands more money than a breathed upon 180 as standard, if you have had one looked after with the basic mods done then it will get a little more expensive still.

You'd have to do a lot of miles to make the fuel saving in purchase price alone... even if you sell yours for a good price...

I love my diesel (when it runs right) and I have in intention of swapping or selling it, but i dont think that I would go from a 180 to a derv and not feel dissapointed. the noise is something else, and the much higher rev limit is addictive....

I have considered getting a 180 as well to run, as i am curious and they are cheap as chips at the moment - but i dont need 3 cars, and the little fester is used round the city and I am not sure I could be that cruel to a ZS, my derv HATES doing short trips!

With my new turbo in the pipeline I am aiming once more at 200 ponies - would be cruel to have a V6 that was slower than an old tractor
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 05:11 PM   #15
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Diesels are all about the miles you do and your finances.

If you need to cut costs - get one. If not - there is no way in hell that it will be a better place to be than a 180. I don't care what you say about performance. A standard 180 - is faster than a 160 tuned diesel.

My diesel was tuned to 151 and rr'd at that figure. It went well, but every morning the clatter was crazy - every time you stopped at a set of lights or give way, the clatter was crazy - every time I booted it .... blah blah - you get the idea.

And Dave - I said this before when you made a comparison either here or on another site - you drove a dog mate. Mine goes like the clappers, been RRd at 184 the other week and if you'd like to have a drive, you'd be more than welcome - or even Pompski's well sorted example with a few breathing mods meaning that if his vis motors are OK his should be making even more.

But - when I'm stationary, I can't hear the engine, and when I do put my foot down, it's beautiful.

Craig - if you need some cheap transportation - get one. If not - don't bother. It'll never be the same.

Last edited by Dan1971; 04-10-13 at 06:08 PM.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 05:45 PM   #16
Dave

Dave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

If you need to cut costs - get one. If not - there is no way in hell that it will be a better place to be than a 180. I don't care what you say about performance. A standard 180 - is faster than a 160 tuned diesel.

My diesel was tuned to 151 and rr'd at that figure. It went well, but every morning the clatter was crazy - every time you stopped at a set of lights or give way, the clatter was crazy - every time I booted it .... blah blah - you get the idea.

And Dave - I said this before when you made a comparison either here or on another site - you drove a dog mate. Mine goes like the clappers, been RRd at 184 the other week and if you'd like to have a drive, you'd be more than welcome - or even Pompski's well sorted example with a few breathing mods meaning that if his vis motors are OK his should be making even more.

But - when I'm stationary, you can't hear the engine, and when you do when I put my foot down, it's beautiful.

Craig - if you need some cheap transportation - get one. If not - don't bother. It'll never be the same.
I remember you saying the same mate, obviously i am not going to say the car is bad or not, as James was kind enough to allow me a drive in his pride and joy. To be fair, i have not had experience of another 180, so i have nothing to compare to.

Will have to get you up to an area meet sometime, and well have a trip out to compare

Cheers
Dave

MGR East Anglia - THE area meet, for all enthusiasts of MGR
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 06:09 PM   #17
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I remember you saying the same mate, obviously i am not going to say the car is bad or not, as James was kind enough to allow me a drive in his pride and joy. To be fair, i have not had experience of another 180, so i have nothing to compare to.

Will have to get you up to an area meet sometime, and well have a trip out to compare

Cheers
Dave
It would be a pleasure ....
Old 04-10-13, 07:04 PM   #18
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post

But - when I'm stationary, I can't hear the engine, and when I do put my foot down, it's beautiful.

I was waiting for your response Dan, I remember reading the clatter clatter description before and that it wouldn't compare. I do understand where your coming from but I can only compare to my old 200 that was played with.
I would really love to get mine on the rollers just to see what its putting out but the closest one to me as I say is over £80 and I don't want to pay that to find out what it is. Now the vans gone and I temporarily have some money (not really spare though) I am very tempted to book in somewhere to see what its doing.. 184 is brilliant, even with the mods on mine if be surprised if its that good, would like it to be but don't know. Saying that though last weekend I was out with my mate who's got the Cupra R I mentioned in previous posts, it is very quick and drives so nicely with 274hp but on sat night we were being enthusiastic and he couldn't shake the zed, not in the way he should've anyway as was only just half a cars length by the time I was into 4th gear.
The old girl did do well being he has possibly an extra 100 under the bonnet.

Anyhow, its jut ideas or thoughts at present as money is a bit tight and am just wondering if I could enjoy a derv to give us a little financial ease for a bit.
Would probably regret it though.
Old 04-10-13, 07:14 PM   #19
welshone

welshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nice
Recently moving from a 180 to a TD I can honesty say the engine note is a lot different

The fuel costs is a lot better

Insurance surprisingly is a little more.

Really do miss the V6 roar and the way the power is delivered

Definitely think this is going to be the last ZS I own and don't think i'm going to have it long.
welshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 07:42 PM   #20
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-ZS180 View Post
I was waiting for your response Dan, I remember reading the clatter clatter description before and that it wouldn't compare. I do understand where your coming from but I can only compare to my old 200 that was played with.
I would really love to get mine on the rollers just to see what its putting out but the closest one to me as I say is over £80 and I don't want to pay that to find out what it is. Now the vans gone and I temporarily have some money (not really spare though) I am very tempted to book in somewhere to see what its doing.. 184 is brilliant, even with the mods on mine if be surprised if its that good, would like it to be but don't know. Saying that though last weekend I was out with my mate who's got the Cupra R I mentioned in previous posts, it is very quick and drives so nicely with 274hp but on sat night we were being enthusiastic and he couldn't shake the zed, not in the way he should've anyway as was only just half a cars length by the time I was into 4th gear.
The old girl did do well being he has possibly an extra 100 under the bonnet.

Anyhow, its jut ideas or thoughts at present as money is a bit tight and am just wondering if I could enjoy a derv to give us a little financial ease for a bit.
Would probably regret it though.
Wouldn't do any harm going on the rollers mate and if you do decide to sell, could be considered a good thing to have a proven dyno read out to demonstrate that the motors etc are all in good order. Tx Autosport in Harlow - £40 - maybe we could get that figure down if a few people were up for it - it's been muted.