theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-09-13, 03:40 PM   #21
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Well the trims are away at the bodyshop, so decided to start replacing the door cards. Boy what a f*****g awful job. Cant believe the aggro I had. I mean, when I took the o/s trim off M177TT80 old TY car, they came off easy. Mine were still stuck on. Thought I was gonna have to leave it origional.......Managed to take door card off, and replaced the broken clips on new one with good ones from my old one. Then lined it up and discovered a major problem. The multiplug for the electric windows didnt fit. The switch is totally different!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never mind swap switches over. NOPE as the plastic it sits in has a different hole and my switch wouldnt fit in the new door, so had to undo the handle to swap over covers. Once done, just had to put trim back on door..........YEAH RIGHT. Trying to get the trim over the top of the door, the air was blue, either it wouldnt go on or I got it over the metal, but with my fingers caught.....
Begining to wish Id never started, then it all finally snapped into place and the first yellow trim is in..............................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo1886 - Copy.jpg (34.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo1887 - Copy.jpg (38.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo1890 - Copy.jpg (34.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Photo1891 - Copy.jpg (36.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Photo1889 - Copy.jpg (44.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by daytona365; 13-11-16 at 12:27 PM.
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 03:42 PM   #22
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Good for you Gordon....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 03:49 PM   #23
M17TT180

M17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the roughM17TT180 is a jewel in the rough
Lol its never easy!

Lots of second- hand parts click HERE
Project Typhoon
M17TT180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 04:10 PM   #24
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by M17TT180 View Post
Lol its never easy!
Hopefully the other 3 will be easier, no switches for starters....
Old 08-09-13, 06:34 PM   #25
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I had assumed the switch change was a mk1/2 thing, didn't realise it was when the strip went missing.

The trick to getting the front card on is to open the window, plug in the switch, then with the card at about a 45' angle engage the front corner as close to the mirror as you can, then as you lower the card tilt it so the bottom is towards you and slide it under the mirror, line up the lock pin, once it is in the right place thump it down to ensure it is in place, finally thump all the way round to locate the plastic clips.
Old 14-09-13, 10:44 PM   #26
daytona365

Next instalment....................the N/S front door. Now I thought this one would be a lot easier, as (A) Id done one already and (B) no electric window switch to worry about.
HA HA...getting it off was just as hard, damm thing was glued on. Then once I got the new one lined up, despite knowing how to avoid getting my fingers trapped it still involved plenty of cursing and 3 fingers ripped to shreds. Still as you can see in the pics I now have both front doors done. Still no dash yet, as my bodyshop man on holiday.
However if you look closely at the new N/S door, you can see my road map no longer fits!!! Yep suprise suprise the older style door card, has a smaller door pocket!!!!!! Same shape, but a lump of plastic insert is at the back , thus making the pocket smaller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What will go wrong with the rear doors??? All I can say is Im glad Im using my origional dash trim......

Last edited by daytona365; 13-11-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 15-09-13, 08:40 AM   #27
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I noticed the lump when I swapped my cards, wasn't sure if it could be removed so didn't try, might do on a scrap yard car next time I'm there.
Old 15-09-13, 09:53 AM   #28
daytona365

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I noticed the lump when I swapped my cards, wasn't sure if it could be removed so didn't try, might do on a scrap yard car next time I'm there.
Never noticed when I did the drivers door. It was only when I went to put my road map back.........
Old 15-09-13, 11:39 AM   #29
POMPSKI

POMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the roughPOMPSKI is a jewel in the rough
Its ok the rear door cards are much easier

Looking good
POMPSKI is offline   Reply With Quote