theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-03-16, 07:08 AM   #1
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
starting problem!!

Right guys i need some help for a brit on the other side of the world. my zs 180 recently wont start. Called an auto electrician out who said it was my crank sensor so i ordered an aftermarket one here which apparently works on zs, zt and landrover. Anyway i fitted that and still no start, it turns over, has fuel not sure on the pressure though. Coils have power going to them but has no spark. obd reader apparently didnt have a fault code when it was checked by the electrician, fuses all ok. So i have to it seems order another crank sensor from the uk which i really dont want to after just buying one from here, unless any of you zs wizards can give me any other things i can check??

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-16, 07:21 AM   #2
redzed

i need to order this http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-NSC000070 anywhere to get a better price??

Also looking on rimmers it looks like ive been sent the cam shaft sensor instead of crank sensor.... bloody aussies. Would that be why im not getting a fault code for faulty crank sensor but also why its not firing?
Old 08-03-16, 07:24 AM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Changing my crank sensor worked on my Red Mk1 when it had issues. (£10 second hand).

When I did do it though, it didn't just fire up straight away. I kept going and going - it didn't work. Then I had a break, went back out in frustration and tried again - and she fired up.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 07:25 AM   #4
redzed

this is the sensor i got sent by a supplier here in aus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_57.JPG (48.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-03-16, 07:27 AM   #5
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Just read your update about getting a camshaft sensor - not a crank sensor. Get a crank sensor - I'm sure they are different and not interchangeable. Does that one look like the one that you've got in there already?

Like I said - mine was £10 second hand - positioned on top of the engine - near the oil cap.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 09:44 AM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Hope the proper crank sensor sorts it, have to let us know.

Trust its all going well down under. (apart from the ZS)
Old 08-03-16, 04:08 PM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I have had cam sensor fault cause a non start twice, 18 months apart, wasn't the cam sensor but the power supply to the lambda probe on the rear exhaust manifold grounding out on the hot exhaust and fusing the mutual power supply.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-16, 09:51 PM   #8
redzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Just read your update about getting a camshaft sensor - not a crank sensor. Get a crank sensor - I'm sure they are different and not interchangeable. Does that one look like the one that you've got in there already?

Like I said - mine was £10 second hand - positioned on top of the engine - near the oil cap.
i didnt want the cam sensor at all just got sent the wrong one even though i double checked with the company it was a crank position sensor.... just looking at rimmers yesterday i can see they sent a landrover cam sensor none oe one. i wish i could get one for £10, theyre none here that i can find and no second hand ones either, plus where the dollar is crap the sensors going to cost $360 to get it to me......
Old 08-03-16, 09:53 PM   #9
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Have you asked Rimmers for a price?
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 02:42 AM   #10
redzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Have you asked Rimmers for a price?
Yeah the price that I quoted was from rimmers