theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 13-03-13, 09:09 AM   #1
chris01

chris01 is on a distinguished road
Just had a power run

Hi guys, I just had a power run done on my 180, it made 182bhp but only 152bhp at the wheels, was wondering if the transmission loss sounds about right and what mods can I do to get more bhp to the wheels?? cheers
chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-13, 09:14 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Sounds good, all too technical for me, but you lose a lot through the gearbox and drive train.
Old 13-03-13, 09:16 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Seems about right, rollers do vary though. What mods have you done already?
Old 13-03-13, 09:18 AM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Allowing for about 17% transmission loss your numbers are about right.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-13, 09:20 AM   #5
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
That was the number I was going to put, Pete.
Old 13-03-13, 09:23 AM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
It seems to work as a good ball park figure Peter.

Old 13-03-13, 09:26 AM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

There's not much you can do to make more bhp at the wheels without making more at the fly, decent induction and a decat would be a good start without breaking the bank, although if you're making 182 I'm assuming that some work has been done already.

Old 13-03-13, 09:36 AM   #8
chris01

chris01 is on a distinguished road
The only mods I have are a cat back exhaust and a viper pipercross induction kit, oh yeah and some magnecor ht leads (although cant see them making much difference) They did say to me that if I relocated my induction filter away from the rad I should be nearer to 190bhp, at the moment im suffering abit from heat soak, I was thinking of a remap but the guy reckons a lightened flywheel and a diff (couldn't remember what diff he said) is money better spent???
chris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-13, 09:46 AM   #9
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

A lightened flywheel and torsen diff are good mods which will allow you to make the most of the power you have.

Old 13-03-13, 09:48 AM   #10
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
If the cone or filter is exposed then either enclose it or move it away from the engine bay heat. A well positioned cold air feed will be beneficial too.

The flywheel and diff mod won't add any power but will make for a more fun experience

A remap is very much a mixed bag, I found it to be worthwhile and have never regretted it. You'll see improved afr and around 8-10 bhp on top of the breathing mods and decat.