AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-03-13, 08:41 AM   #1
DuckFeet

DuckFeet is on a distinguished road
Just hit a cyclist (no one hurt)...

...wasn't as much fun as I had hoped. Technically he hit me. He got dinged*
but he and bike are ok. Luckily(?!) I was in the missus car so I can go with "it's only metal". Next on my to-do list is learn how to repair scratches.

For discussion: I won't go with who was to blame, but more "how could this have been avoided?". I'm blaming the *** who blocked the entrance though. Wenker.

Green = cyclepath, so technically he was on the road. And I was on the wrong side of the road, but that was necessary to get to the car park. All other traffic was stationary.
Orange cross = impact
Blue square = me
red square = cheers for blocking the road MATE.

*WWE 2000 on the N64 reference.
DuckFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 08:50 AM   #2
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Is this a two way road? Just confused as to why you were on the wrong side of the road.

Either way, glad no-one was hurt.
Old 19-03-13, 09:19 AM   #3
sambomonkee

sambomonkee will become famous soon enough
So, Am i right in saying that you turned right into the road, behind the red car, and the bike hit you there. If so and the traffic was stationary, mr bike shouldn't have been under taking people on the road.

I suspect it will be one of those 50-50 blames Jobies.
sambomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 09:32 AM   #4
DuckFeet

DuckFeet is on a distinguished road
Yeah I was turning right into the side road. Mr red car eventaully moved forward into the car sized space he left in front of him, slowly as he possibly could of course. I don't see what I could have done differently as i did check for pedestrians, so it definitely looks like the biker could have avoided it by not undertaking. No real damage done, not worth doing anything other than fixing the scrathc myself for the cost of a touchup pen.

This is why motorcylces go down the middle of the road then!
DuckFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 10:01 AM   #5
sambomonkee

sambomonkee will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
Yeah I was turning right into the side road. Mr red car eventaully moved forward into the car sized space he left in front of him, slowly as he possibly could of course. I don't see what I could have done differently as i did check for pedestrians, so it definitely looks like the biker could have avoided it by not undertaking. No real damage done, not worth doing anything other than fixing the scrathc myself for the cost of a touchup pen.

This is why motorcylces go down the middle of the road then!
as you said then not your fault then, the bike was undertaking on a single lane which is illegal.

As you stat though as long as everybody is OK.
sambomonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 10:11 AM   #6
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
First things first: congrats, you get 10 points!

Seriously though, I'm a bit confused as to the position of the red car - it looks from your sketch as though you'd either gone through it (and I don't think that's the case or we'd be talking about a different accident), or he'd moved in behind you after you passed him. Was there anything that prevented you from entering the junction fully, like a stationary car in front of you?

I don't think it matters much either way - he was risking it by hammering up the inside of traffic and putting himself in a position where he couldn't stop in the distance that he could see.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 10:17 AM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Could have been a lot worse, might have been in the ZS!!!!

You got any of those, "Chips away", type guys near you, do a fantastic job and not too pricey.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 19-03-13, 12:02 PM   #8
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
If he was in a cycle lane he wasnt untertaking anyone same goes for buses in bus lanes, otherwise there would be no point in having them, you havent looked properly.
Old 19-03-13, 12:09 PM   #9
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Bad luck sam, i think they may make you culpable for the accident though. In a row of stationary traffic you were the only vehicle moving (and on the wrong side of the road) into the cyclist right of way. I thought cyclists could undertake, thats one of the benefits of having a bicycle isnt it? no more traffic jams.
Old 19-03-13, 12:19 PM   #10
Enright

Enright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the roughEnright is a jewel in the rough
But from the sketch he hadn't entered the start of the cycle lane yet.
Having said that, I hadn't noticed before that you weren't turning into a sideroad but into a junction.
Tough call - I don't know how it would go down. Might be worth seeking the advice of a friendly copper.

Mk2 MG ZS TD 115 with full 180 kit (and 2x Lotus Elan SE Turbos)
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote