theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-03-13, 12:30 PM   #11
caled

caled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nicecaled is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
In a row of stationary traffic you were the only vehicle moving (and on the wrong side of the road) into the cyclist right of way.
Dependent on whether the cycle lane had give way markings, surely?

Either way, glad you and the cyclist are ok.
Old 19-03-13, 12:50 PM   #12
DuckFeet

DuckFeet is on a distinguished road
lol 10 points! Stuff I was thinking but didn't want to post. Actually I was Prepping my brain to think first aid and a lot of screaming.

Poor diagram sorry, the red car pulled forward to join the others, then I turned into the sideroad. I had to wait for him a few seconds, which is why it was so annoying, I would have been out of harms way if he hadn't been a prat. Also no one stopped or got out their cars! what the hell? It doesnt hurt to shout "you ok mate?" out a window. I dunno.

Might have been the ZS, if it had I would have been parked up a good 5 minutes earlier

He hadn't reached the cycle lane yet. Given the visibility he had wherever he was he was going too fast in my opinion. I was in the road he wanted to occupy but obviously didnt see him (or I would have waited and hit him with the front of the car

I just phoned up to check on him, we're both fine and neither side is persuing anything. I think that means he doesn't see it being my fault, or we're both just easy going, lesson learned and glad no one was hurt. It's interesting to hear views on what should/shouldn't have happened there though.

edit: Is ther a good scratch repair guide here? I've got two about the same thickness as a bicycle brake...

Last edited by DuckFeet; 19-03-13 at 12:53 PM.
DuckFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 01:34 PM   #13
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
So you were turning right from a major road into a minor side road? The cyclist was on a designated cycle path running parallel to the major road? If so the cyclist is at fault for not stopping at the minor road giveway. All roads have priority over cycle paths afaik, he should have stopped to look before crossing the road. Cycle paths stop at the road the same as any pedestrian path does.
Old 19-03-13, 01:53 PM   #14
DuckFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Cycle paths stop at the road the same as any pedestrian path does.
Interesting point as pedestrians have right of way on a pavement, which I was crossing. I should clarify that the "side road" was a private single track into a car park. I've made out that it is a road I believe. Maybe I should annoate a google maps screenshot...
Old 19-03-13, 01:55 PM   #15
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Was the cyclist on the road or pavement.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 02:01 PM   #16
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
Interesting point as pedestrians have right of way on a pavement, which I was crossing. I should clarify that the "side road" was a private single track into a car park. I've made out that it is a road I believe. Maybe I should annoate a google maps screenshot...
Pedestrians only have priority if they are already crossing the road that you are turning into.

I would say that the cyclist is at fault here, he wasn't in the cycle lane yet was undertaking stationary traffic. As no-one is taking matters any further its merely conjecture but interesting to see other peoples take on it.
Old 19-03-13, 02:27 PM   #17
DuckFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peanut View Post
As no-one is taking matters any further its merely conjecture but interesting to see other peoples take on it.
This. If I can improve my road-sense then all the better. I believe he was on the road, why? I'm pretty sure he said he was on the cycle path, which is on the road further down where he was travelling to.
Old 19-03-13, 02:40 PM   #18
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I just asked if he was on the road or pavement as it may have had a bearing if either party was taking any further action, but as they're not it doesn't matter.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 04:08 PM   #19
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i think techncially speaking you the car is at fault for crossing the flow of traffic and entering a minor road from a major one - it is technically your responsibility to make sure it is clear for you to do so before you start your manoeuvre.

I say this as an aquaintance was recently knocked off his bike in a similar way - car pulled infront of him and caused a bit more than just a bit of paint scratches (you he was one a racer and on that hill i can get over 30mph on an MTB with off road tyres)

the car insurance paid out in full to replace his bike which was wrecked.....

As no-one is pursuing this any further it is irrelevant - but it is always hit and miss - the cyclist could have been more aware - he would have seen a car slowly pull out in front into the stream of traffic and i would ahve slowed in case some-one could not see me nipping up the inside....

glad no-one was hurt though... or any ZS
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-13, 06:22 PM   #20
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
What you should have done is made the cyclist swerve to avoid you, so no damage to your car, and into the path of oncoming HGV so no cyclist either. Then he couldnt go through anymore red lights, ride on pavements in shopping centres, ride through in queues and bang your wing mirrors.....................................
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote