theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects > Smokey's site track day car

Old 01-03-12, 01:58 PM   #1
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Feel like giving the whole thing up

Well today has not been the best for me.

I bought a G clamp in order to push the piston back on the front calipers so I could replace both front disks which were paper thin and warped.

First one I managed to do, but in testing is jammed on. I cant undo the caliper as the bolts are so rusty they just round off (I had to remove the whole carrier to replace the disk)

The second one, the caliper bolts are again rusted to the point they wont turn without rounding off and to top it off, the bottom carrier bolt is ompossible to move even with wd40 and is starting to round with my efforts.

The efforts were so forceful, I managed to crease a small crease in the front wing with my shoulder but wasn't bothered about this until I went out in the car and on my return, the door wouldn't open. This is because the metal has bent further on heating up and it fouling the door:

I cant even get the arch liner off to remove the panel as more rusty screws!

So I currently cant move the car because the pads on one side are burning up (so cant go to Falkirk to get the gear stick fixed by Goldie)

I cant get in the drivers side door because of the wing

And the other brake disk is still wafer thin.

I don't have the finances to take it to a garage as I spent this months budget buying the car. I dont have anyone local who can help me out and I have too many cuts on my hands to do much more.

It is looking like I will have to cancel the track day and pay people back which will put me even more out of pocket!

This was meant to be a fun pass time that I could enjoy and share with others. It has turned into an expensive session of injuries and anger.

F*cking B*ll*cks!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:05 PM   #2
Nobrainer

Nobrainer has a spectacular aura aboutNobrainer has a spectacular aura about
I know how that feels. When I changed the whole brakes on my BRM (calipers, braided hoses discs and pads I had to cut one of the brake lines to get the hose off and the disks I'd got cheap ages before were new but warped! Car was off the road for ages getting bits and the time to sort it. Now I take the ZS to the garage and just swallow the bill (which was (£250!!! to get the wipers working again)
Nobrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:12 PM   #3
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
You have my sympathies as I have not yet started something on the Zed that hasn't turned into a massive swearing session.

With the wing, is there any way you could pop the side repeater out and use something in the hole to pull the dent out? I think its a bit big for the freeze and heat method.
Captain Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:17 PM   #4
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I sympathise, some days every job you set out to do turns into a can of worms, just have to pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and swear.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:19 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Christ Blair you have had a bad run mate. Wish I was nearer as I would be only too glad to help you. Out of interest are you using 6-sided impact sockets to undo those bolts and with a breaker bar? Don't use anything else as it will cause the heads to round off. I'm sure there must be someone local who would love to help out.
Old 01-03-12, 02:22 PM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
But to address the problems,on the seized caliper have you tried loosening the bleed nipple to try and free it off.

For the bolts that are starting to round, hex impact sockets have worked for me in the past, especially when used with a impact gun, Irwin sockets also work very well on rounded nuts and bolts.

Not sure on the crease, with luck it may very well spring back out if you can get to the back of it.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:33 PM   #7
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Sadly I have rudimentry tools and cant afford to be buying more equiptment right now

Old 01-03-12, 02:36 PM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
What size ratchet are you using? I might have some spare impact sockets I can send up if that helps? What size is it you need, can't remember off the top of my head, 13, 15 and 17mm?
Old 01-03-12, 03:40 PM   #9
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

The big ones are 17mm. Small ones are 12/13 can't remember which.

As for local help, there is defo no one nearly that aware of to help.

My major problem is, I can't take the car to Goldie on Saturday which was the last thing to get the car track ready

Old 01-03-12, 04:02 PM   #10
stamford
Site Owner

I'll see what I have, pm me your address.

Also you need to read your pms! Fun and games up north mate