theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-03-12, 07:29 AM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I say it is worth it, if anything it tidies up the power delivery when past the power valve opening and you will get an improvement in mpg and high end AFR is sorted as the the stock ecu map is a little flawed here.

Up to you at the end of the day as always mixed opinions on this. I wasn't disappointed and noticed a much better drive when I tracked it from its previous run when on stock map. Never timed it as not that into it just enjoying it for the driving pleasure. Still, it made the ZT260 boys ask what I was running.

Mines been done 3 years now and still pulls well and returns a decent mpg figure.
Old 19-03-12, 08:01 AM   #2
Nobrainer

Nobrainer has a spectacular aura aboutNobrainer has a spectacular aura about
How does a remap affect the ecu making its own adjustments?
Nobrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-12, 08:13 AM   #3
R1CSO

R1CSO is on a distinguished road
expect about a 25bhp. Got my remap done at Reidys, before was 173bhp and after was 198bhp (oe cams). This was at the height of summer and i didn't have a heat shiled for my induction kit (which in my car is located close to the radiator).
Old 19-03-12, 06:20 PM   #4
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CSO View Post
expect about a 25bhp. Got my remap done at Reidys, before was 173bhp and after was 198bhp (oe cams). This was at the height of summer and i didn't have a heat shiled for my induction kit (which in my car is located close to the radiator).
no offence mate but anyone who knows anything about nasp tuning will be rolling around on the floor laughing their asses off at that claim.
If the car was healthy and had a decent induction kit it should have had 185 bhp to start with ?!?!?
In reality you would do well to make half of that claimed gain without adding other mods.
On a turbo car yes no probs but you cant turn up the boost on a zs 180, all you can do is optomise and tweek and there just isnt the potential for gains like that.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-12, 06:31 PM   #5
MG6Turbo
Banned

MG6Turbo is on a distinguished road
Got to agree with Dave here.

No engine breathing hot air will make decent power.

As Dave rightly says, nasp tuning is much harder than turbo.

I spent many hours on a rolling road with a zs 180 so i know what does and doesnt work.

No zs 180 will make 198bhp without decent air induction system and cat back exhaust.

As a matter of precaution, we would do a health check on any car we was tuning before any mods took place. The zs needed to be 100% healthy to start with or it wuldnt give the gains.

George
MG6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-12, 07:13 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
What he probably meant was from stock power figures to breathing mods expect an increase already seen which is half that or more. Then add on the remap increase and you'll be there or there-a-bouts not in one hit as stated.
Old 19-03-12, 07:15 PM   #7
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
add a de cat in there george too, and you might just make it.
Wirlys always made good power and thats the spec he had, inner wing induction, cat back and de cat, re map, iridium plugs.
Having said that wirlys car wasn't quite the norm, weve both seen similar modded zs not make that power.
He said he brought it off the guy who brought that 200 bhp btcc replica, the special legit one, i cant remember who built it, was it wsr or mg s & r or similar ?...but anyway the guy said wirlys was noticeably more powerfull than his 200 bhp btcc replica....and that was when it was standard !
Old 19-03-12, 11:03 AM   #8
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
There must be a power gain, not that you can feel it that much as in a derv (dervs are more affected by a remap). It's true you've got a self-learning ECU, but as said, it just self adapts on breathing values, usually it takes 20 miles of driving to re-learn. All other modifications would require a remap in order to experience the full potential.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-12, 11:22 AM   #9
stamford
Site Owner

The Siemens ecu can only learn a small amount and doesn't have the ability to advance the timing, only to retard it. It can change the fuelling by a small amount to allow for changing weather conditions.

The remap can go beyond this and advance the timing and the AFR until such point you can't go beyond the parameters within the stock ecu.
Old 20-03-12, 05:53 PM   #10
Quadcam24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
The Siemens ecu can only learn a small amount and doesn't have the ability to advance the timing, only to retard it. It can change the fuelling by a small amount to allow for changing weather conditions.

The remap can go beyond this and advance the timing and the AFR until such point you can't go beyond the parameters within the stock ecu.
i always thought this till a conversation with george a few years back.
Him and ross had taken the supercharger off ross's car then both went in their own zs's to santa pod, georges car was standard, ross's car was now standard because the sc had been removed. They did some side by sides on the way to pod and ross's car was noticeably quicker, being able to pull on georges car every time, which also showed in the times at pod, where ross proceeded to set a time that was incredible for a standard car whilst georges just did what was expected.
Both ross and george told me it was because the car was running massive advance in the timing from having the charger just removed.
Now i dont know one way or the other, but how do you explain it otherwise ?