theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 05-04-14, 08:49 PM   #51
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Can they upgrade the o/e injectors???

Or do they want the SDi's???

Love the mods.
Old 07-04-14, 09:38 AM   #52
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Can they upgrade the o/e injectors???

Or do they want the SDi's???

Love the mods.
Thanks Peter,

They can upgrade either stock or SDI injectors. They are really just the same apart from the nozzles and opening pressures and since both of these are modified it doesn't matter which they start with I wouldn't have thought.

They set the first stage to 220bar and the second stage was set by looking at flow rates. I sent the stock injectors.

That said, for anybody with SDis, a remap and standard turbo these are pointless...
However for people requiring more fuel after a turbo upgrade OR if they have a standard car and fit these with the standard map I think it would have a similar effect to fitting SDIs and a remap. These with a remap and standard turbo however is asking for a smoke screen!
Old 07-04-14, 09:57 AM   #53
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Cheers Phil, that was what I was wondering, have a quick blast of smoke, but its only when first booted and it does go off.

Wont bother with the upgrades as I'm happy with my ones performance!!!

Old 07-04-14, 10:09 AM   #54
ZS Phil

Fair enough

I suppose they could also re-build your SDI injectors to standard spec and re-balance them should they ever get tired. Apparently the nozzles wear away and the spray pattern deminishes over time, 100K miles is a figure which floats around but not sure how significant it all is.

As long as your happy is all that matters, they certainly do shift with the right mods even with the standard turbo . In all honesty I do this because mechanistry is a hobby and I get as much enjoyment from tuning the car as I do from taking it for a blast. Performance on yours will be way more than a match for most modern traffic.
Old 07-04-14, 10:22 AM   #55
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
I reckon that the 200 nozzles will be too much for a OE turbo on anything but a 101 map, and still think that smoke would be pretty epic.

I've seen some of the more aggressive remaps with SDI's and the smoke levels is way higher than I would put up with - and why I downgraded from my wingy's (and also cos they were faulty).

I am still curious what nozzles were used on them, so maybe i should send that set off when i get round to the last parts of the project!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 06:59 PM   #56
ZS Phil

Another update...

Was back to see Kris at Darkside a few weeks ago to play around with the map since the new core and injectors had been fitted and I had played around with the map of the turbo.

We had the rollers for half the day and did loads of pulls, cutting a long story short, we decided to leave fueling as it was but changed the opening pressure on the wastegate as well as played around with the controller map so she now boosts at 29psi.

The amazing thing is EMP peaks at 23 psi, something you will simply not achieve with a non-VNT turbo with any kind of quick spool. Because of the external wastegate on my VNT set up there is no spike so literally have the best of both worlds.

I should say that the 197.7 result was with the rollers set with slightly higher resistance which helped the boost spool.
The 184 result was consistent with the dyno on shootout mode for FWD forced indiction cars.
The reason i am posting both graphs is because on the FWD forced induction mode (184bhp) the boost was dropping off to about 25psi. This does not happen on the road, on the road it sits at 29psi to the redline as it did with the rollers set to higher resistance when it pulled 197 bhp. Im not saying one is right and one is wrong, just trying to give the full picture.

Either way, safe to say its got well over 300 ft/lbs torque and considerably more power than a ZS180, needless to say it is quick.

It was always my aim to have a 50+ mpg RELIABLE ZS with more power and almost double the torque of a standard 180. I think it has now been met.

Old 02-05-14, 08:07 PM   #57
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Good results.

Old 02-05-14, 09:42 PM   #58
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Very very impressive, a great result there
Old 02-05-14, 10:14 PM   #59
adam

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about
That's a cracking amount of power right there.
Old 02-05-14, 11:24 PM   #60
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
That is rather impressive. Well done mate!

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote