theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 06-07-13, 07:51 AM   #11
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
manufacturers don't make exhausts themselves anyway.

He probably pulled you to check you out (assuming he was traffic officer), officers will more likely pull certain types of cars or vans and more so at certain hours of the day or night. (sported up saxo driven at midnight may indicate young lad over legal limit), if he was panda car he was probably a clueless idiot.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:02 AM   #12
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Top post Dan.

Pity there are officers who have this attitude. Also a shame they abuse their powers when they know nothing of the legalities. I also would admit for me it would be hard to not be a tad offish when replying to such a claim if it were me that was stopped. I would then expect the Policeman in question to arrange for every performance store, company and fitting shop to be plundered and closed for illegal business activity. That sounds very over the top but in essence that is what he is implying.

When it comes to such scenarios how are we, the public, supposed to react and believe what they are saying? No good saying 'illegal' it must be backed up with a known law in print for us to accept. Next they will be pulling people over for having a bright paint job, 'sir your colour is illegal and hurts peoples eyes and confuses bees (read yellow here )

No doubt I will get pulled in mine if it passes the MOT with its 'illegal' Janspeed cat back and decat system. I fear the V6 will become muted

Plenty of high end cars out there with OE systems that are far noisier than ours. TVR are one that springs to mind, they are unique and well made systems. This will rattle on for some time as there is so much ambiguity in the argument.
Old 06-07-13, 08:12 AM   #13
Steven11

Steven11 has a spectacular aura aboutSteven11 has a spectacular aura about
Its a sad day when your worried about getting into your car and going for a drive
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:16 AM   #14
Adam 180 V6

Adam 180 V6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb 180 View Post
Was he a real bobby or pcso? As retired sergeant and traffic cop he's talking utter crap. As long as it's within the decibel law you are ok.
He was a traffic cop.
Adam 180 V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:20 AM   #15
Steven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam 180 V6 View Post
He was a traffic cop.
Did they do the old good cop bad cop routine.
Old 06-07-13, 08:23 AM   #16
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Bottom line fellas is this ...

If the exhaust was illegal - you'd have been reported.

If you break the law - you will get stuck on. What some guys do is where they aren't sure they will warn.

Cops won't carry round legislation books to show you that under section 1 of the registration plate act - made that up by the way - your digits are 1 cm too close. What they will do is tell you that it's illegal and you then make your checks and decide whether you want to argue the point at court or not.

"Exhausts a bit loud mate - might be illegal" is a fair comment, but unless they are positive, you won't be reported for summons.

If you have a big bore exhaust bought from long life, powerflow, janspeed etc, which is for road use, you will be fine. If you knocked up a bit of metal tube and attached it to your manifold - you may well - and I'd say should - find yourself at court defending your position.

And beware the guy out alone in a panda. He might not be a traffic cop yet, but he may want to be, and by doing so may well know more than a traffic cop who's been doing it for 10 yrs. In many professions, the apprentice knows more about the theory than the experienced old hand ...
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:24 AM   #17
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
I'm totally behind pulling the Yellows over lol.

Who ever heard of a quiet TVR, they're meant to be loud and angry.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:28 AM   #18
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
If you do an on-line quote with AXA car insurance (thats who I'm with incidentally), when you get to the modifications part it gives you a long list of items that you do not need to declare as modifications. Stainless steel exhausts being one of them. FYI - That s'all folks
Old 06-07-13, 08:33 AM   #19
Steven11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Bottom line fellas is this ...

And beware the guy out alone in a panda. He might not be a traffic cop yet, but he may want to be, and by doing so may well know more than a traffic cop who's been doing it for 10 yrs. In many professions, the apprentice knows more about the theory than the experienced old hand ...
Couldnt have put it better myself Dan, well said. And like i said before this is not a cop bashing session. Have came across some really decent coppers in my time but like you say there are always going to be the odd one or two that ruin the image of most good police men & woman

I know im going to regret saying this but ive not been pulled in the 9 yrs ive owned my Zed and ive had my exhaust for about 4 yrs now. I guess ill cross that bridge when i come to it. But when the time comes ill deffinately remember what Dan said and stay calm and answer any questions i can and remain polite the entire time.
Old 06-07-13, 09:19 AM   #20
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
trouble is it seems a high percentage of plods have this attitude, certainly most of the ones i have dealt with anyway. They are their own worst enemy, they have made me dislike them just because of their own awful attitudes and i think many people feel the same.
They cannot just treat everyone like criminals and talk to us like cr4p because that's what they some times deal with, the majority of folk are good people and they need to learn to treat everyone as good people until proven otherwise, instead in my experience, the normal is to treat everyone like a criminal, coming out with put downs and mouthing off like they are saints all the time,....and do you get an apology when they eventually find out you are completely in the right and they are completely in the wrong...do you heckers like .....i dont know who they think they are, but if they want my respect they have a long way to go.