Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-03-16, 05:12 PM   #11
Deckz

Deckz is on a distinguished road
I'd hate to see how much Rimmers are charging you to send it to Oz lol
Deckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-16, 06:44 PM   #12
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Get them to post it to me and I'll send it on, can't see it being much by Royal Mail airmail.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-16, 11:14 AM   #13
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
help!! right after spending a pretty fortune to get the oem crank sensor the car still wont start.... fuel is present, and i can smell it in the exhaust after starting and when i disconnect the fuel pipe by the filter its clear its pressurizing fine. There is power to the coils, everything is plugged in as it should be and earths have been checked. im going to put a different ecu in see if that solves it but any pointers on where else i can check? It turns over fine, fuel pump primes fine, coils have been replaced and has new spark plugs fitted very recently. I have recently cut out unused loom in the car only removed the wires to the rear doors and the wires up to the sunroof and everything has been insulted and cut properly. cant see how it was turning over fine just recently and now doesnt?? help if you can!

cheers in advance
Old 22-03-16, 12:25 PM   #14
hansligg

hansligg is on a distinguished road
Ive had the same problem last few days, missus car was knackered last week, used mine to jump start it a couple of times, Drove ZS 100 mile roud trip friday, left it until yesterday then it wont start, coughing and spluttering but wont start. Jump started it, still nothing, bump started it and nothing.
Greenflag came out this morning and towed it to garage with them thinking it was fuel related or starter motor as its cranking and trying a little more to fire up when pumping pedal but still nothing.

I expected cam shaft sensor as it was showing all signs of this.

Garage rang this morning, used another Battery and after a couple of attempts it fired up. It turned out I had flooded engine trying that many times to start it.

£15 lighter, same battery, couple of checks and its running and working.

just saying see if its something a little less complex such as starter motor or as minor as a battery draining.

As all MG owners do, we dread the worst when something like this happens!
hansligg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-16, 09:44 PM   #15
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Does the car turn over but make no attempt to fire?
If I start mine up from cold and move it a few yards and then not use it for a couple of days it floods. It'll turn over and turn over but sound almost as if there is no compression, I just have to spin it over for what seems like for ever before starting.
Old 22-03-16, 09:50 PM   #16
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
weak fuel pump or old fuel?
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-16, 12:42 AM   #17
redzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
weak fuel pump or old fuel?
There's no spark for what ever reason. Fuel pump primes well and it's been topped up with new fuel. Only thing I can think of is the immobiliser at fault. I've got some old ecu's but stupidly didn't keep the sets together so trying to find out what's what so I can change the ecu properly and see if it's that. I have changed the ecu and bcu but that didn't help but can't have the right pair. It's so strange and infuriating. Had two mechanics out and they can't find out why it's doing it.
Old 23-03-16, 12:45 AM   #18
redzed

I'm going to refit some of the loom I've stripped out see if that has somehow caused it, but I've only taken out the rear doors and roof loom for the sunroof, I did remove the sensor on the b pillar by the door but as I had a car that the previous owner had removed (for whatever reason) I can't see that causing it not to start
Old 23-03-16, 08:05 AM   #19
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
no spark usually crank sensor, poss cam sensor
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-16, 11:12 AM   #20
top_man_eldo

top_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the roughtop_man_eldo is a jewel in the rough
Always dislike trying to diagnose a non start problem!

I've had a cam sensor go bad before, similar symptoms to yours, changing it sorted the issue. I also changed the knock sensors on another occasion after poor running and starting problems.

2016 Subaru WRX STi
top_man_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote