AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-05-10, 10:03 AM   #1
sarah

sarah is on a distinguished road
Track days? where and how much?

Hiya guys,

basically im just asking around about Track days for beginners, Andy (other half) wants to take the BMW round a track, but considering he has never done it before he doesn't know what it involves? where the best tracks are, like location wise? and how much? what do you have to take? do you need different tyres? etc...

i said id ask around as i know a few of you on here do these kind of events. Any help would be greatfull to point him in the right direction.

cheers

my oh my.....
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 10:18 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Hi Sarah,

This for Brands, if you Google your nearest track sure there will be details, we do the £25 1/2 hour novice session, dont do so much damage to the car or you as the full or half day sessions and these are £125 +

http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/br...sp?NewsID=5463

Go to track days on the side panel.

Well worth doing great laugh.

Old 09-05-10, 10:25 AM   #3
Dave ZS-X

Dave ZS-X is on a distinguished road
For a first time i would recomend bedford autodrome, it has enough variation in corners and speeds to be great fun but more importantly the track is very wide with massive run off everywhere so even if you have an off there's nothing to hit.
You dont need special tyres but you dont really want to be using brand new road tyres as they will wear very quickly, deep new tread moves around, overheats and drops to bits. If the tyres are worn some they will be ok though as long as the pressures are monitored.
Apart from that make sure the brake discs and pads have plenty of life in them, oil and fluids good etc.
Remove everything from the car that isnt bolted down,ive seen shoes, footballs, all sorts on the back seats and in the first braking zone they usually end up in the front giving the driver a scare.
Check fluids, tyres and pressures, brakes, wheel nuts after every session.

Sounds a bit intense maybe but its incredible fun and easy really, accidents are fairly rare and you can book beginner sessions so he doesnt feel out of his depth.
Bedford you can usually book for 150 quid and also they do helmet hire iirc but you would have to check, on top of that he will need another 100 quid for fuel and maybe track insurance if his car is expensive, though in my experience very few bother.

Dave
Dave ZS-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-10, 10:29 AM   #4
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave ZS-X View Post
For a first time i would recomend bedford autodrome, it has enough variation in corners and speeds to be great fun but more importantly the track is very wide with massive run off everywhere so even if you have an off there's nothing to hit.
You dont need special tyres but you dont really want to be using brand new road tyres as they will wear very quickly, deep new tread moves around, overheats and drops to bits. If the tyres are worn some they will be ok though as long as the pressures are monitored.
Apart from that make sure the brake discs and pads have plenty of life in them, oil and fluids good etc.
Remove everything from the car that isnt bolted down,ive seen shoes, footballs, all sorts on the back seats and in the first braking zone they usually end up in the front giving the driver a scare.
Check fluids, tyres and pressures, brakes, wheel nuts after every session.

Sounds a bit intense maybe but its incredible fun and easy really, accidents are fairly rare and you can book beginner sessions so he doesnt feel out of his depth.
Bedford you can usually book for 150 quid and also they do helmet hire iirc but you would have to check, on top of that he will need another 100 quid for fuel and maybe track insurance if his car is expensive, though in my experience very few bother.
He's just had 2 new front tyres fitted, all the brake discs and pads are new too, oil and everything.

its something he's always wanted to do, and when he had the TT he did actually strip it out ready for track days, but he lost interest in the car itself after so many problems so decided to sell and never got to do this.

Thanks for this info Dave, oh and Peter cheers for that link ive saved it into my favourites to show him

as for helmet hire, his brother has 2 because his bro wants to do track days aswell so once they know all this info, i suppose they can go and book something?

my oh my.....
Old 09-05-10, 06:43 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
As mentioned by Peter ClubMSV hold events across the UK for begineers and you can pay for one to one tuition as well as helemt hire. Well worth it.
Old 09-05-10, 08:22 PM   #6
sarah

Cheers, he don't need helmet hire so he will be ok.

my oh my.....
Old 09-05-10, 10:04 PM   #7
GTMSpyder

GTMSpyder is on a distinguished road
Dave is right - Bedford is excellent as a venue for the first experience because you'd have to be very unlucky to damage your car there even if you had an off. THere aren't many other circuits that are as good in the respect.

If you look at Trackdays.co.uk you'll find a complete calendar of events ant can book from there too.....same for openpitlane.co.uk.

I'm at Bedford again on 24th of this month with the ZS.....
Old 10-05-10, 08:33 AM   #8
sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMSpyder View Post
Dave is right - Bedford is excellent as a venue for the first experience because you'd have to be very unlucky to damage your car there even if you had an off. THere aren't many other circuits that are as good in the respect.

If you look at Trackdays.co.uk you'll find a complete calendar of events ant can book from there too.....same for openpitlane.co.uk.

I'm at Bedford again on 24th of this month with the ZS.....

Wicked hun thanks.

ive just taken a look at those websites and saved em in me favourites got 3 sites to look at now haha, Andy is greatfull for your help guys.

my oh my.....
Old 10-05-10, 05:24 PM   #9
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
Requirements for most trackdays:

Vehicle
1. V5C
2. MOT if car more than 3 years old
3. Driver's license

Driver
1. helmet (preferably BS or Snell)
2. clothing to cover arms & legs
3. suitable shoes (not sandals/high heels!)

Other things that may be worth taking
1. wheel brace
2. foot pump
3. basic tools (spanners & screwdrivers)
4. litre of engine oil
5. water (for driver & car)
6. Jerry can of fuel

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-10, 06:03 PM   #10
GTMSpyder

GTMSpyder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMS Ltd. View Post
Requirements for most trackdays:

Vehicle
1. V5C
2. MOT if car more than 3 years old
In probably 60 track days I have never been asked for a V5 or MOT. Driving licence (both parts) is an absolute must though.