theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-03-11, 09:22 AM   #11
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

I can see the benefits of running the car into the ground, then selling the bits off.

Trouble is, if every one starts doing it, we will run out of ZS's and the ones that are left will start going up in price.

I always get too attached to cars and would feel like I'd shot it, if the belts went and I could have fitted replacements.

Pity we cant do a group buy of replacement 180 belts, tensioners and waterpumps, incl gaskets etc. Then get a few quotes in different areas, so at least we knew what the firm costs would be. Or an all in fixed price.

Reading different posts, prices vary a lot, but I'm sure that if the work was guaranteed and to a good standard there would be a few takers.

Cars are getting older and miles/years means that most should be done, or have been done.

You know your car, fitted the mods you want and got the bodywork looking good.

Dont know if George would be interested in giving us a price. Down south, Stamford had his belts done by a mobile mechanic, he did say that he wouldnt do another, but he might have forgot the pain and be happy to give us a price, or not!!

Old 03-03-11, 09:34 AM   #12
nick_1973

nick_1973 is on a distinguished road
I'm another with the same dilema, no idea if the belts have been sorted or not. Cars an '03 with 70k so they are due but as i only paid ?1k for it, do i pay out half the cars value for the piece of mind.........

Its like the lottery, if you've been playing the same numbers for ever then forget one week, you can bet your bottom dollar that you'll miss out on a jackpot. Its called sod's law!

If you have to rely on your car every day then i would suggest getting them done. If you can go with out a car for a while and have a recovery service (AA, RAC etc.....) then take the chance.
nick_1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 09:48 AM   #13
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Only cost me ?300 odd quid to get my Belts done... if I had the tools I'd have done them myself... at 180,000 miles I might be tempted to do them myself anyway... - Depends if I can get hold of a set of the tools for cheap!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 09:58 AM   #14
idge2003

idge2003 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
Trouble is, if every one starts doing it, we will run out of ZS's and the ones that are left will start going up in price.
Well I can't see this happen if petrol prices get to the reported ?1.60 a litre by year end!

Brett
MGF Steering wheel
MGTF LE500 Gear knob
Scorpion Tuner S/S cat-back
Straights in anthracite
idge2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:36 AM   #15
Mr ZS180

Mr ZS180 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
mine where done a few months ago but the engine had been changed and its a 01 engine on its first belts so they have got to be nearly 10 years old!
Same as. I bought mine last April and got the belts done in August as the car had no history with it. In my opinion it is worth it if you plan to keep the car or give it hard driving and as Ian says at least you know with your own engine.

Im not even planning to keep my engine in the car as I want to drop something else in it but I plan on a few trackdays this year and definitely do not want a belt give as Im going round paddock hill bend!!
Mr ZS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 10:38 AM   #16
Mr ZS180

Quote:
Originally Posted by idge2003 View Post
Well I can't see this happen if petrol prices get to the reported ?1.60 a litre by year end!

Brett
?1.38 for V-power here already. Absolutely ridiculous!!
Old 03-03-11, 10:51 AM   #17
midcuk

midcuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
I can see the benefits of running the car into the ground, then selling the bits off.

I always get too attached to cars and would feel like I'd shot it, if the belts went and I could have fitted replacements.
:
i have always been the same but recently i am starting to see the zed as a money pit as we are being priced off the road, deffo have a love hate relationship with it !.
midcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 12:05 PM   #18
Yampiedog

Yampiedog is on a distinguished road
My belts are due too and I can't justify that amount of money so I have come to the conclusion that I will drive it until it breaks. Then probably either consider a replacement engine or break the car.

Mercedes Vito
Yampiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-11, 02:04 PM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Unless you go for a chain drive, all motors have to have the belts done. Some models, like the derv, come out cheaper, but I bet its only a few quid difference if you go for another V6.

You could go for a 4 pot but you V6 guys would miss the rush!!!

Like everything in life, got to pay for the fun somewhere, and life is too short not to have fun!!

Old 03-03-11, 02:54 PM   #20
Mr ZS180

This is another reason Im planning on the T16 conversion as well. So easy to do the belt on that engine!