theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 26-01-12, 08:53 AM   #11
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
The simple answer is yes, you would be mad. Just take a look on eBay, autotrader and pistonheads, the diesels hold a decent premium over a 180 and for good reason, the are dirt cheap to run in comparison.
Stick some sdi injectors in you's, turn up boost to 19 psi, de cat and remap then take a 180 for a drive. The only thing you gain is the v6 sound tbh but if you do the above mods the derv doesnt sound bad, a nice bit of turbo whistle.
Having owned both I can safely say the only way of consider another 180 would be if it had LPG but even on LPG you will be luck to get 160 bhp so either way I'm better off with my diesel.
Think you'll find that Clive's LPG 180 with a remap still ran close to 190 bhp on LPG.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 12:27 PM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

If money isnt a issue I'd stick to the derv, lots of savings over the 180's.

Road Fund Tax, insurance, mpg, 159 bhp and 234 ft/lbs torque, dont think I'd swap my Mk2.

Old 26-01-12, 01:40 PM   #13
ian zs180

ian zs180 is on a distinguished road
Myself i would sell the derv then get a newer 180 . As people have said depends on what you want and if money is an issue . Myself i couldnt own a derv the sound and smell just put me off and when you boot them they leave a cloud of smoke behind them for this reason i wouldnt have one . But if you want cheapish motoring then maybe stick with the derv as the 180s can be quite expensive to run ,,fuel ,, tax,, insurance etc . Like others say you can get good power out of a derv with a few mods so my conclusion is if money aint an issue the 180 if it is stick with the derv
ian zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 02:01 PM   #14
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i personally would say stick to the derv.....

If you fancy a 180 maybe get one on a limited milege policy and run it for a short while to help decide.

If you chose to do so with a good condition car with the belts done i can't imagine you would losse out too much in costs if you hunted around for a bit....

I know i would miss the running costs if i went petrol, and my performance is not that far off a 180 now - if/when i can use all it's potental once more....

for me it is only the noise that would make me want one really.... i am far too lazy and like wafting around on the torque splurge that the diesel gives you..... and i also like the puff of smoke once you boot it a bit
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 02:18 PM   #15
vanishing days

vanishing days will become famous soon enough
One other thing to bare in mind is tuning a car may well make it faster but it's important to remember you very rarely get your money back when selling the car on. And depending on how far you go reliabilty may become a problem
Old 26-01-12, 05:27 PM   #16
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Think you'll find that Clive's LPG 180 with a remap still ran close to 190 bhp on LPG.
That car was amazing, drool...
190bhp on LPG is impressive since its generally accepted that you lose at leat 10%. I based 160bhp on a standard 180 (177 bhp when new), take 10% and you have just shy of 160.
Old 26-01-12, 05:29 PM   #17
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanishing days View Post
One other thing to bare in mind is tuning a car may well make it faster but it's important to remember you very rarely get your money back when selling the car on. And depending on how far you go reliabilty may become a problem
Agreed, that applies to any tuning. At least the derv mods are very cheap and have proven reliability untill you start putting hybrid turbos on.
Old 26-01-12, 05:43 PM   #18
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
That car was amazing, drool...
190bhp on LPG is impressive since its generally accepted that you lose at leat 10%. I based 160bhp on a standard 180 (177 bhp when new), take 10% and you have just shy of 160.
my old car

Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-12, 05:56 PM   #19
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbircher View Post
Ive got a 52 reg standard zs diesel with 12 months mot and 6 months tax and 94k but i may have a chance of swapping for a 02 reg zs 180 with all the belts done just serviced and a few other jobs done and 6 month mot and tax with 82k, would i be mad to swap my trusty good old mpg diesel or would it be a good deal what do people think??
Any advice would be appreciated cheers
You have a newer car with a long MOT but slightly higher mileage.
You've been offered an older car with a shorter MOT that was 3 years over due for a belt change and has needed other work.

Add to that the fact that an identicle diesel is worth more than a 180 I guess the 180 owner realises he is onto a better deal if he swaps..........

You decide
Old 26-01-12, 07:00 PM   #20
Bobdope2002
Senior Pant Sniffer

Bobdope2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
You have a newer car with a long MOT but slightly higher mileage.
You've been offered an older car with a shorter MOT that was 3 years over due for a belt change and has needed other work.

Add to that the fact that an identicle diesel is worth more than a 180 I guess the 180 owner realises he is onto a better deal if he swaps..........

You decide
exactly what i was thinking mate
Bobdope2002 is offline   Reply With Quote