theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-11, 12:45 AM   #21
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i know i am playing slightly late catch-up each time - but i am yet to ever see a single L-series in any guise get beyond 300K. whether it was designed for that is irrelevant - the early 'bomb proof' engines have bodywork rust in the (s)DI.

the vag units that melt pistons are all badly tuned. i know of many that are 200bhp+ that are running, and melted pitons are not a chancer trying his luck, they are some-one who has been told by a tuner that it can cope and it not being the case - eg bad mapping.

I was told that my turbo was good for the engine and was safe and reliable - i know differently.

I know I might sound harsh, but you have said some fairly 'strong' things here and yet you do not seem to have any evidence to back up your theory other than what you say. i have seen a lot of L-series both VP-30 and vp37 (and older mechanical pumps) in various levels of tune generate power in excess of what you say is the max the engine can deliver.

reliabilty is all relative once you start to exceed the desgined limis by more that 20% - teh 'safe' tune is significantly more than this with SDI injectors and a mild remap... which really takes a huge amount of stress out the pump itself....

timins solenoid failure is not linked to actual tuning - i am ware of a lot of 'OE spec' cars that have failed - in fact it is Dr Dave's biggest and most vociferous argument against a vp30 pumped car; and he knows his stuff!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote