theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 21-02-10, 08:57 PM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
This weekend didn't quite go to plan.......

Spent Saturday morning under the Discovery sorting the diesel leak, it cost me £8.50 for a new fuel filter, that's all it needed! However the spongy brakes turned into something much worse..................fluid pissing out the rear somewhere. Looks like the rear pipes need replacing and they are a full run! Looks like the repair centre will get a shitty call from me this week. So the Disco is now off road waiting to get fixed.

During the calls through my insurance company to get some information on the 3rd party'd insurers and my legal rights I decided to speak to them about my zed. I dropped the old Xsara off the policy as that is no longer being driven and for another £49 the ZS is back on the road! So it has been washed, checked over and taxed! It's like having a new car, it's great to be behind the wheel terrorising folk again!

I'm sure Kathy will be pleased as she gets her MGF back now.
Old 21-02-10, 09:01 PM   #2
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Still a pain with the insurance on the Disco but fantastic news about the Zed, glad she's back on the road! I did a quote on gocompare.com, my cheapest being £1000 after my 21st birthday and holding a license for 3 years, was NOT happy, however Direct Line can do insurance for £535 on my mum's policy, so I'm tempted!

Bet it's good fun being behind the wheel of her again! So jealous!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-10, 09:06 PM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Cheers Steve, yes Great fun! It wasn't planned, just circumstances made it happen that way. It would be cheaper to tax the zed than to get the brakes repaired I reckon! Having checked out the information it is a right pita as the pipes run the full length and a right biatch to do as they disappear between the body and the upper chassis rails. Getting them off in one piece in order to use them as a template for new ones is a challenge.
Old 21-02-10, 09:14 PM   #4
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
nice one gettin the car on the road, shame about the disco! would be ragin hard to find a decent bodyshop these days and theyre really expensive
Old 21-02-10, 09:21 PM   #5
grimmy

Bollocks about the disco Mick but getting the zed back on the road is a bonus it's to nice a car to be off the road .
Old 21-02-10, 09:31 PM   #6
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Top stuff about getting the Zed back on the prowl

So far in my limited experience of doing brakes pipes i have found when you think the jobs going to be a pain in the arse it goes smoothly with nae problems....but when you think it's going to be a piece of **** it turns into a nightmare lol
Old 21-02-10, 09:38 PM   #7
stamford
Site Owner

I know this is going to be a pain as I cannot see where they route and I have been all under the darned thing! I don't think my poorly back will cope! The zed had been off road since last September, just needed priming and she's as sweet as a nut. I think the neighbours had hoped I had sold it, now they can hear it again

Looks good with two MGs up the drive.
Old 21-02-10, 09:43 PM   #8
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
Talking about a nightmare with the disco, but on the plus side you get the zed back on the road!

I agree with Maxfly; if you think a job is going to be a total PITA then it usually goes quite well, to the point where I always set myself up for a tough job in the hope that it turns out to be nice and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire039 View Post
however Direct Line can do insurance for £535 on my mum's policy, so I'm tempted!
Tut tut! Fronting is naughty you know and puts everyone elses insurance up!

I did it for a year and regretted it, it may have saved me £400 that year but I easily lost that by not having the NCD the following year

Derv power baby!

will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-10, 03:47 AM   #9
starfire039

starfire039 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will-w View Post
Talking about a nightmare with the disco, but on the plus side you get the zed back on the road!

I agree with Maxfly; if you think a job is going to be a total PITA then it usually goes quite well, to the point where I always set myself up for a tough job in the hope that it turns out to be nice and easy!

Tut tut! Fronting is naughty you know and puts everyone elses insurance up!

I did it for a year and regretted it, it may have saved me £400 that year but I easily lost that by not having the NCD the following year
Nothing wrong with what I'm doing at all, she is the policy holder, as well as the legal owner of the car, however the insurance company are aware I am the main driver.

As for the idea it's a false economy- it's either £500 odd a year for insurance- or nothing at all, as I cannot afford £1000 a year for insurance as a student.

To be honest though, my girlfriend raised a valid point, I might get a 125cc bike if I earn enough money over summer. Much cheaper to run. I am getting my hopes up with the dream of getting behind my ZS again, I don't think it's going to happen and the longer I have hold of it the more it's going to torment me!
  • Replace/fix rattly mirror
  • Mark 2 dashboard
  • Catch tank
  • New VIS motors
  • Fit bucket seats
  • Induction kit
  • New spark plugs + oil change
  • New exhaust
  • Decat
  • Fix drivers seat mounting hole
  • Reidy Remap

starfire039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-10, 05:10 AM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Is it worth just removing the damaged section of pipe and putting a joint in, it isn't difficult to flair brake pipe if you've got the correct tools.