theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-04-10, 02:22 PM   #21
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
I know that I'm not as mechanically savi as most on here, but isn't there an issue with an MGF being RWD and the ZS front wheel drive ? I take it you just modify the engine a bit to accomodate the driveshaft ?

That being the case .... no-one thought about just putting a V8 in there ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 02:25 PM   #22
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
There's a guy on rovertech putting the kv6 in a F! There's not a lot of room in them!!

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 02:28 PM   #23
Nats Whiskas

Nats Whiskas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
I know that I'm not as mechanically savi as most on here, but isn't there an issue with an MGF being RWD and the ZS front wheel drive ? I take it you just modify the engine a bit to accomodate the driveshaft ?

That being the case .... no-one thought about just putting a V8 in there ?
Theirs a shed load of people that stuck em in Zr's so im presuming that it'll work (somehow) Nothing silicone and duct tape cant fix im sure haha
Nats Whiskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 03:58 PM   #24
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Matt, when I said about the difference between the 145 and 160 engines I meant between the two vvc engines which rover produced. As previously said by EMS the 145 engine was in the F (bar trophy edition which was 160) and BRMs/ 200 Vi whereas the 160 version came in ZR 160s and TF 160s.
Regarding cams as far as i know you can only change the exhaust cam on VVCs, if you want to change the inlet then a solid cam conversion is required which will cost a fair bit of dollar.
Dan, although the F is RWD, the engine is still horizontally mounted as it is mid engined so a similar layout to the zs but obviously powers the rear wheels instead of the front.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 04:17 PM   #25
Nats Whiskas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Matt, when I said about the difference between the 145 and 160 engines I meant between the two vvc engines which rover produced. As previously said by EMS the 145 engine was in the F (bar trophy edition which was 160) and BRMs/ 200 Vi whereas the 160 version came in ZR 160s and TF 160s.
Regarding cams as far as i know you can only change the exhaust cam on VVCs, if you want to change the inlet then a solid cam conversion is required which will cost a fair bit of dollar.
Dan, although the F is RWD, the engine is still horizontally mounted as it is mid engined so a similar layout to the zs but obviously powers the rear wheels instead of the front.
What he said!
Old 08-04-10, 04:41 PM   #26
RalphG

RalphG is on a distinguished road
You will need to keep the gear box from the ZS, as the gear change linkage is completely different on the MGF. It is, I believe, possible to convert the MGF gear box, but you'll need to move the bits over from the ZS 'box.

By how much do those who have gained by war fall short of the number of those who have perished in it? No doubt you will reply that there can be no comparison, that the dead cannot be numbered, while the living who have been rewarded may be summed up with three figures.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 05:48 PM   #27
ThumpJunkie

FYI, the engines are 143bhp and 157bhp respectively!
Old 08-04-10, 06:10 PM   #28
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpJunkie View Post
FYI, the engines are 143bhp and 157bhp respectively!
lol wasnt too far out then :P What are the differences between them exactly?
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10, 06:27 PM   #29
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
lol wasnt too far out then :P What are the differences between them exactly?
The differences between the 143 VVC in the F and the 160 of the MGF trophy are a slightly better airbox with 2 rather than 1 inlet, a larger 52 mm throttle body, a remapped ECU and I think a freer exhaust.

You can get 160 out of a 143 VVC by fitting a better induction, the bigger throttle, exhaust mods and proberbly most importantly, a remap. You can get the ECU remapped through rally matt (not sure if he is on here, definatly on xpower) or go for an after market one such as emerald.

Does the engine come with the ECU, keys and FOB? If not you'll proberbly need to get one from a ZR160. This might be a good idea anyway as the MGF runs MEMS3 and the mk1 ZS is MEMS5.

As for the gearbox, again consider a ZR box but don't forget they have cable clutch pedels so you'll need to swap bits from your ZS.

A good place for info on this conversion will be metropower as the VVC conversion is popular into the metro/100.

Keep us informed of progress.
Old 08-04-10, 06:38 PM   #30
Nats Whiskas

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
The differences between the 143 VVC in the F and the 160 of the MGF trophy are a slightly better airbox with 2 rather than 1 inlet, a larger 52 mm throttle body, a remapped ECU and I think a freer exhaust.

You can get 160 out of a 143 VVC by fitting a better induction, the bigger throttle, exhaust mods and proberbly most importantly, a remap. You can get the ECU remapped through rally matt (not sure if he is on here, definatly on xpower) or go for an after market one such as emerald.

Does the engine come with the ECU, keys and FOB? If not you'll proberbly need to get one from a ZR160. This might be a good idea anyway as the MGF runs MEMS3 and the mk1 ZS is MEMS5.

As for the gearbox, again consider a ZR box but don't forget they have cable clutch pedels so you'll need to swap bits from your ZS.

A good place for info on this conversion will be metropower as the VVC conversion is popular into the metro/100.

Keep us informed of progress.
Hey! The engine comes with the ECU and wiring loom, But nothing about keys!?!?! isnt it possible to use your own?!

As for the clutch, could u elaborate on that? What would need doing to the gearbox on the zs 120 to make it work with the vvc engine?

All im saying is im really starting to regret getting that keg of heinikein from tesco...

Cheers