AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-06-10, 08:26 PM   #1
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
What the ZS like to live with everyday?

Hi,

i've just posted in the new members section so onto my first question! I'm interested in a ZS as a car to use everyday. I've never thought of owning one, but i drove past one the other day and i couldnt help but look. Is it reliable? I've heard all the horror stories about head gaskets on the 1.6 and 1.8 petrols. I'd probably go for a 1.8 petrol as im only 23. I'm basically on the look out for a good looking friendly car which can be a bit of fun too and has lots of room with a decent boot to fit a pram in with no trouble.

Thanks!
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 08:33 PM   #2
Phate

Phate is an unknown quantity at this point
As an everyday car they are perfectly fine. Not too bumpy, liveable, comfy enough etc.

Not sure about the 1.8 reliability though. Only the 2.5L
Old 01-06-10, 08:35 PM   #3
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
I had the 1.8 (120) before getting the 180 and it was a great car, was reasonably quick but great fun on country roads

Also the 120 is cheaper on tax/petrol. The ZS' seem to fly through MOTs too!

Theres the obvious issues with HGF but Ive had 3 kseries engined cars and never had one go.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:13 PM   #4
Jem

Jem is on a distinguished road
If you are worried about head gaskets problems go for a diesel,Cheaper on the tax aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
How can I be so thirsty in the morning, when I drank so much last night?:
Jem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:14 PM   #5
Nor

Nor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the rough
It's a 180 I have, but fine daily driver. Turning circle is quite large though, 11m on MK2 with bodykit. Not sure about other models.
Old 01-06-10, 09:20 PM   #6
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
its fine to live with, the head gasket will only usually go if the engine overheats, and if it does go then the uprated gasket doesnt suffer the same problem, the cars got a pretty big boot, and everything is pretty simple so not a lot to go wrong, but stil a nice car to drive
Old 01-06-10, 09:30 PM   #7
will-w

will-w is on a distinguished road
I've got a diesel, do 60 miles a day to work and back and have no major complaints about economy - I'm getting just under 50mpg at the moment, and that's with a heavy right foot!

From what I can gather the mk1 (up to 2004) are built slightly better (but don't look as good IMO), I know a few mk2 guys who've had no problems so think it's down to the individual car... I think my mk2 (2005) was built on a Friday as it can be a little trying at times!

If you want really good performance then get a 180. If you want brilliant economy with good performance then get a diesel (115). Other than that the 110 (1.6)/120 (1.8) both do a 60 sprint in about the same time as the diesel yet aren't as punchy in gear, they return a good 10-20mpg less but on the plus side don't sound like a tractor!!

Derv power baby!

Last edited by will-w; 01-06-10 at 09:34 PM.
will-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-10, 09:48 PM   #8
grimmy

I have been living my my zs's as daily drivers for about 8 years firstly a 120 mk1 then a mk2 180 and had hardly any problems whatsoever great cars and you wont regret buying one.
Old 01-06-10, 10:04 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

My Mk2 is the first derv I've had in 40 years of driving and I love it, fast enough to have fun, but also low insurance, £125 road tax.

All have massive boots, best thing is to take one or two out and see what you like, all handle and go well. Just up to you what model will be best.

Old 01-06-10, 10:09 PM   #10
ian zs180

I love my 180 great daily drive car and when you wanna have fun boy does it put a big smile on ya face . Good size boot aswell and handles like a dream get one you will love it