theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 10-06-10, 07:32 AM   #1
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Question I have a dilemma

I am hardly using the ZS these days as it is now just a fun car. However seeing that the cost for insurance and tax is so expensive, especially when running two other cars, I don't know what to so.

I currently insure and tax the MGF, the TD5 Discovery and the ZS, but it is costing alot on the insurance and I cannot justify having it insured.

Not sure whether to leave it as a track day car and trailer it when I want to use it or totally strip it and go racing again which will mean no V5..........................will be a shame to see it get hammered over a couple of seasons. I want to put it to some use and not let it sit there doing sod all! It's not going anywhere I might add! Can always trailer it to meets I suppose I would love to prep it for the MG race series but in this climate finding sponsors is a non-starter.

Oh, and I picked up a few bits at the local autojumble, battery cut-off switch and extinguisher/battery switch external pull cables and some fibreglass racing arches. One way or another it'll be a long term project.

I'll miss driving it on the road, but I can't justify keeping it road legal at this time.
Old 10-06-10, 07:50 AM   #2
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Shame, but it all comes down to cost and usage.

If cars are left parked up and not undercover they do deteriorate very quickly.

Think your plan to race it and trailer it would be my way to go. Your half way there with the Zed plus the tow car.

Sell enough bits and youve got the trailer!!!

Old 11-06-10, 01:04 PM   #3
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
What about selling shares in it and having it as a "ZS Site car" to help with some of the costs ?

Couple of track days here and there with laps depending on investment ..... ?

Glad you're holding onto it though.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 01:23 PM   #4
StragglaSteve

StragglaSteve is on a distinguished road
a rentable track car sounds like a good idea!

52 LeMans Green MG ZS 120+ Saloon
StragglaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 07:47 PM   #5
R1CSO

R1CSO is on a distinguished road
get rid of the other cars! SIMPLES
R1CSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 09:53 PM   #6
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CSO View Post
get rid of the other cars! SIMPLES
Sound advice Ric thanks

Dogs would slide all over the place in it!

Drove it to work today for a run out, what fun, christ it is so quick now!

I do love driving it on the road still, just wish everything wasn't so darned expensive.
Old 11-06-10, 10:18 PM   #7
SharronB

SharronB is on a distinguished road
Awww not another one! We need to keep these great cars on the road....I know it costs alot but if its not for us enthusiasts, where will the MG be ??.....Its heartbreaking to see peeps breaking good cars because of a dent or selling because "I need a bigger car because i have now got a dog"......

This is why we are here, because we love MG's.......Simple as!
SharronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 11:52 PM   #8
RichZS180

RichZS180 is on a distinguished road
I was made redundant in april and put my car up for sale, someone even came to look at it but i figured that since i wasn't using it i wasn't spending much money in fuel and decided to keep it! And i'm glad i did. its totally standard but i love it to bits, and i now am loving the V6 when i give it a toe full. But like Sharron said if it weren't for peeps like us keeping em on the roads then they'd be in the hands of chavs and boy racers and most would end up in scrappies because they end up stacking them.
Yours is bloody immaculate from what i have seen on here and you look like you've spent a fair bit on it. Fair play! Hope you keep it.
RichZS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 06:48 AM   #9
fastmike

fastmike is on a distinguished road
What scares me @ the moment is whats going to happen to the price of petrol when the cost of that leak and the clean up impacts on the price
fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-10, 07:59 AM   #10
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
i am always faced with the same dilemma stamford.

while its nice to have a car for track, its a expensive thing to just leave sitting their while you have other cars to use. Especially if you are to busy to do track days etc at the moment like i am i just havnt got the time.

would be a shame to ruin it Racing seriously but they are throwaway money now.. i say trailer it to Track days if you can lay your hands on a trailer? if not you can normally hire them for around £60 quid a weekend. which would probably be cheaper than tax insurance etc..
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote