theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 27-03-11, 03:15 PM   #1
Alan.F

Alan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the roughAlan.F is a jewel in the rough
Hmm what do you think

This was posted on 75/ZT forum last October has anyone seen it before

Quote:
some news of changes to the MOT from December 2011, now unfortunately it is going to be bad news for some ..............

HID lights ie the kit we all like that gives us brilliant headlights, this will be made an MOT failure if these are fitted, now obviously if you can fool the tester into thinking its Xenons then all well and good however they are apparently going to be well briefed on how to tell.

ECU chipped, unfortunately they have found a way of telling through the OBD port (diagnostic plug) on how to tell if the engine is chipped and if chipped you guess it its an MOT failure.

Wiring harness security and condition, they will now do a visual check on wiring harnesses to make sure they are not chaffing etc and that all is secure again MOT failure if adrift etc.

Airbag warning lights illuminated will again be a failure if illuminated.

Quote:
The car/light goods vehicle MOT test is about to change ? the European Commission has changed the Directive that covers it. We take a look at when these changes are likely to come into effect and what they mean for MOT testers.
Britain has been testing vehicles under the MOT scheme for 50 years now. Last year, the European Directive covering the MOT test was updated and revised by a modern version called 2009/40/ EC. This was then updated by 2010/48/EU, which was ratified on 5 July this year.
The new Directive keeps the EU minimum 4-2-2 test frequency but adds a number of new elements to the British MOT test. The Directive anticipates all test changes being in place by 1 January 2012, and a common European approach to test certificates in place by 1 January 2014. So what is VOSA doing to introduce the changes?
In terms of test frequency, in mid-July the coalition government confirmed that it intends ?to look at the issue of MOT test frequencies later this year?. VOSA contributed statistical data to inform the last review in 2008, and we expect that our computer system and the data you have entered will be utilised again in much the same way.
We expect to hear more details of the government?s review proposals later in the year.
As far as changes to the test content are concerned, VOSA has already been analysing the requirements of the new Directive and working out how to implement them. We started this earlier in the year by talking with representatives of the MOT trade at our regular Trade User Group and VTS Council meetings. Both VOSA and the Department for Transport (DfT) are keen to ensure that any changes to the test are introduced in as practical a way as possible, keeping the burden on the trade to a minimum and ideally keeping the changes cost neutral.
In many cases, the changes shouldn?t necessarily lead to an increase in average test times. A good example is the malfunction indicator lamps on the dashboard that indicate defective electronic power steering, electronic stability control and secondary restraint systems. Testers already check the dashboard for other lamps, so no extra time would be required for this addition to the test.
Electrical wiring and batteries are now included in the test?s scope, but testers already check the vehicle structure where wiring is secured ? often along the same routes as other testable items, such as brake pipes in the engine compartment. So again, this doesn?t look like an additional burden on the tester. In the pre-computerisation days, testers often (wrongly) failed vehicles for insecure batteries, so they must have been looking at them then! Now, it means that when we implement the new Directive, vehicles can legitimately fail for battery insecurity, for no extra tester effort.
Other items ? such as headlamp bulb and unit incompatibility, headlamp levelling devices and illegal engine ?chipping? ? will need further thought before we can get a workable solution for MOT stations.
Some of the new items may require extra effort on the part of the tester ? when we know for sure what that is we?ll be talking again with our trade and DfT colleagues to work out what the impact will be.
The common EU test certificate should be relatively easy to achieve ? the only data that the Directive expects and that we don?t currently provide is the symbol for the vehicle?s country of origin. Probably 99% of vehicles tested will have
?UK? entered here, but if you do test vehicles with a foreign plate, you will need to enter the correct country symbol. We may even be able to make this change earlier if there is a convenient opportunity.
The MOT trade can rest assured that VOSA is working closely with you to introduce any new elements as efficiently and effectively as possible, with the minimum of fuss. Just as importantly, we are also working closely with Siemens to ensure that any system changes due on New Year?s Eve 2011 go smoothly! We should know more by the time the MOT seminars take place ? come along and ask the experts.

Alan.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11, 03:26 PM   #2
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
i am really not sure how they can tell by looking at the obdii port if it has changed.. they i suppose can look at the date it may have been altered (software revision etc), but who is to tell you have not had work on that required it to be re-coded!

thereis no way they will know the parameters to check against so i can only assume that is the only real way to guess of an alteration to the mapping. re-chipped might be more obvious though but i am not so sure...

the HID has been mentioned in the past and is the reason i decided to buy 'bright' bulbs instead and they have made a world of difference on their own on my car...
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-11, 03:27 PM   #3
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Must admit my car dosnt see inside many proper garages, so I'm happy to pay out to confirm the cars hanging together.

I do oil and filter changes and brake pads but thats about it.

Be interesting if the changes are made.

Old 27-03-11, 05:49 PM   #4
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Hasn't this done the rounds before? Remapping cannot be detected unless they have the time to download the map and compare them side by side. Anyway, why is a remap illegal? Afterall it's only the factory parameter tolerance been changed to improve fuelling, not changed to the point where emissions are running high, it's the total opposite! If it goes that far and makes a good road car illegal then I will not bother MOTing it and just leave it as an out and out track car as that is where I enjoy it the most. Trailer will be it's road wheels
Old 28-03-11, 05:32 AM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
and how will they test pre OBD2 cars?
Old 28-03-11, 09:46 AM   #6
Zed Lee

Zed Lee is on a distinguished road
Forget about thr remaps it wont happen as its not illegal and is not dangerous, The hid teasting they have been trying to get in for ages due to being blinded by poorly fitted kits, and about time they bgot the wiring check in, I have spoke to my local mot garage and he said the remap is a joke and they only want it brought in so that it has to be declared on your insurance.
Zed Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-11, 12:00 PM   #7
Squeaks

Squeaks will become famous soon enough
there is no remap/engine chip thing wotsit for MOT
My father is a MOT inspector and has just been on the latest course and says its not herd off.
the only new thing is a car must have a cat on it at all times from now on.
Old 28-03-11, 12:07 PM   #8
haGGard

haGGard is on a distinguished road
So even if i decat the 180, will the precat be ok as that passes the emmisions fine. Or should it have the full amount of cats on it, as it came from the factory?
haGGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-11, 12:08 PM   #9
k7ngt

k7ngt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaks View Post
the only new thing is a car must have a cat on it at all times from now on.
unless its pre-93
Old 28-03-11, 12:14 PM   #10
Squeaks

Squeaks will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by haGGard View Post
So even if i decat the 180, will the precat be ok as that passes the emmisions fine. Or should it have the full amount of cats on it, as it came from the factory?
I asked him that and he will find out tomorrow.

My MGF is currently got a DECAT on it so ill have to get a cat for it again.
vosa will be doing more road side checks and will be looking for people running with out cat's on. I think the 180 will be ok as mine passed just on the precat when i had it, its all to do with emmisions i think.