theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 17-07-13, 08:10 PM   #21
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
This is simple.

No-one in their right mind, would choose a diesel over a petrol UNLESS economy was a factor in the decision making.

The clatter - the narrow power band - compared to the silky smooth sound of a petrol engine with a broader power band. No brainer until you add in running costs.

And - I'd back my 2001 85K - (ITG induction only upgrade) 180 against any ZS diesel on here head to head up the quarter mile. I might use more fuel doing it - but I'd get to the end quicker. Rolling gear acceleration maybe not, but that's what the gearbox is for.

And - I'm no numpty ill-informed diesel basher. Had a Mk2 ZS diesel - one of the nicest - SDis, decat, EGR blanked, K&N and it made 151 on a RR. Also ran a 6 cylinder BMW diesel coupe.

Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-13, 08:16 PM   #22
Din

Din has a spectacular aura aboutDin has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
Also ran a 6 cylinder BMW diesel coupe.

Now your talking !

e46 330d is very good, but move up to a later e90... or if funds permit, a 335d ! awsome awsome engine, an extreamly close run thing between that and a 335i (yes they are that good).

Hell, what about the triple turbo diesel coming in for the x5md... 400bhp an a HUGE amount of pulling power, diesels are getting much better.

But back to reality, hmm... petrol power is much nicer to live with imo, it helps that home to work is 3.8 miles though !
Din is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-13, 08:31 PM   #23
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
Now your talking !

e46 330d is very good, but move up to a later e90... or if funds permit, a 335d ! awsome awsome engine, an extreamly close run thing between that and a 335i (yes they are that good).

Hell, what about the triple turbo diesel coming in for the x5md... 400bhp an a HUGE amount of pulling power, diesels are getting much better.

But back to reality, hmm... petrol power is much nicer to live with imo, it helps that home to work is 3.8 miles though !
Had an E92 325d coupe. 197bhp. No clatter. Frugal and fast.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-13, 09:19 PM   #24
Dave

Dave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
This is simple.

No-one in their right mind, would choose a diesel over a petrol UNLESS economy was a factor in the decision making.

The clatter - the narrow power band - compared to the silky smooth sound of a petrol engine with a broader power band. No brainer until you add in running costs.

And - I'd back my 2001 85K - (ITG induction only upgrade) 180 against any ZS diesel on here head to head up the quarter mile. I might use more fuel doing it - but I'd get to the end quicker. Rolling gear acceleration maybe not, but that's what the gearbox is for.

And - I'm no numpty ill-informed diesel basher. Had a Mk2 ZS diesel - one of the nicest - SDis, decat, EGR blanked, K&N and it made 151 on a RR. Also ran a 6 cylinder BMW diesel coupe.

To be honest, i like the gruff manly sound of the diesel engine.

I use my derv, generally about 3 times a week, pottering around town. So MPG isn't a major factor, altho 50mpg is very nice!!!

I really like the aggressive urge when giving the car some stick, so i guess i can't be of sound mind then!!!!

Maybe i expected too much from the 180???

Cheers
Dave

MGR East Anglia - THE area meet, for all enthusiasts of MGR
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-13, 10:30 PM   #25
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
Power right up to the limiter and instantly on power again the next gear, pull pull like a train son!!
Old 17-07-13, 10:36 PM   #26
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Yeah which ever way you put it the 180 will always be quicker and more inspiring to drive than the diesel equivalent. I would put mine up too like Dan said against one to have a proper look at how they compare head to head.
Not knocking the dervs at all as I do like them and can be very surprising but you just can't beat a petrol in reality.

Petrol + Turbo really does = lots of fun as I really can't wait to get back in one again. Maybe even looking at the Maestro turbo van as a toy, very interesting indeed.
Old 17-07-13, 11:15 PM   #27
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Thinks my old 194bhp zs 180 would kill oil burner one any day.

Last edited by tcb 180; 18-07-13 at 07:31 AM.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-13, 08:13 AM   #28
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
We're not talking drag races here, drivability is the discussion
They drive differently that's all
Old 18-07-13, 10:18 AM   #29
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Raby View Post
We're not talking drag races here, drivability is the discussion
They drive differently that's all
It is a hard one to compare though you must admit, both do deliver the power in different ways but have a similar feel. The derv would prob give a slightly quicker round town boost due to the high torque levels and at town speeds they are always on the edge of the power band. A 180 is very similar in that respect but if you really wanted it to go you would prob have to drop a gear to get it in and around the 3k mark to get it to really move.
Either way, however we describe them and their differences I would happily own either one as both are superb and great cars but I do think that it would always be the v6 that'd get the vote due to the epic noise.

Whichever model ZS = FUN.!!
Old 18-07-13, 10:51 AM   #30
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
By the end of the year I think you may not be able to say hands down that a 180 will be able to beat any oil burner....

but then then this one is not just 'any old one'

Either way you need it to be 170+ to get close to a 180, and prob more like 200 to be actually faster whether that is from a standstill or rolling. and currently there are no ZS's with 200 ponies!

Horses for courses really and i am still very tempted to sell the fiesta runabout i have pocket the change and buy a nice cheap 180 and use the saved money to keep the motoring costs low
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote