theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 24-10-18, 09:25 AM   #11
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
And .... ?
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-18, 11:22 AM   #12
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

two rear tyres replaced, loads of tread but had cuts and delaminating. Looked good to me, Hankooks V12's, so they have gone and Falkens on now as the Hankooks are a silly price.

CV gaiter split and needs replacing.

Cat missing when one was fitted as standard, lucky I have one, to replace the missing one. ;-)

But.............................. emission test stopped because of excessive smoke, as if!!

So got to see if I can get that down, Cat might help, I have a Rover Ron device on that is wacked up high, don't really know what it does, fools the Maf sensor or something. Have a BMC FILTER but thats been in 10 years, it is a recleanable one every 60,000 miles, and I have done it twice. Got a Eurocarparts ordinary one to go in. Plus a bottle of injector cleaner.

If that doesn't work I'll put back in the standard injectors not the SDi ones, like everything, they are in a jiffy envelope and always in my spares box. Looked for them the other day and the fairies must have moved them and put them somewhere safe!!

The car has done 110,000 now and still pulls like a (smoky) train.

I realised now I should have sorted the emissions out first, but when have I ever done anything in the right order.

Everything else was OK and the lights all went out. I was worried about the N/S headlight, bulb went, easy, new bulb 5 minutes to fit. About an hour later it was done, the spring clip is held in place by a small ridge, built into the headlight. My one broke away and the spring clip was just loose, big washer, so I could trap the end of the spring under it, then catching the clip in the other end. All with chubby fingers through the little hole.

The story continues.

TF in Tuesday for a new cat to be fitted!!

ZS in Wednesday for the old cat to be fitted and the CV joint.

All good fun.

Old 24-10-18, 02:49 PM   #13
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Sounds like a proper faff mate .... Ah well - cars eh ... !!!
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 09:48 AM   #14
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Ah! yes. I can recall those bloody headlamp bulbs. Nice to see you guys still rocking on here.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-18, 12:15 PM   #15
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

[QUOTE=tcb 180;378648]Ah! yes. I can recall those bloody headlamp bulbs. Nice to see you guys still rocking on here.[/QUOTE

Hows the GTE GOING???

Old 27-10-18, 11:52 AM   #16
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Peter - probably don't need to twist your arm too hard here...

but take it for a proper thrash once you've trown some cleaner in the tank...

4000rpm pulls in gear - and drop it in for the test right after you've done them - an L-series is often very smokey when colder, and if driven gently will smoke a bit as the the crud gets blown out.

The mafam just attempts to restore a failing signal - i'm sure you said your car is hitting a 4k hardcut, which says to me the maf is dead and the mafam won't be doing anything.

Worth checking for boost leaks as well before the Italian Tune runs..... OE turbo and SDI's should not fail MOT emissions for smoke
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 12:30 PM   #17
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Cheers and I'll book it to be sorted as soon as I get there, usually have to leave it on the road and they pull it in during the day so done cold.

It is not all that bad when warm, but as you say is a bit smokey on start up and cold.

Hoping that the u/s pump control module was causing the cut off, that seems better now.

Let you know how it gets on.

Old 27-10-18, 12:54 PM   #18
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Fine thanks Pete. Sorted my leaking garage roof and put 269hrs into her last year. Mainly minor rust scabs to undersides.All seats out all floor areas inside and out cleaned off and treated. Front wings off few minor repairs. New fuel lines pump and filter. Belts.

Going up in value. I'd like it to go but my lads shout on it.

I'm wanting a Mgb. Was a Mk1 Gt on ebay stunning. It went within days.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-18, 06:46 PM   #19
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Glad it's still around.

Had four MGB GT's, they are fun cars but a bit agricultural, just make sure the sills are ok rear spring hanger mounting points, front wings.

I love my 160 TF, goes and handles well.

Old 01-11-18, 05:46 PM   #20
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

That's the ZS passed it's MOT done and dusted.

Cat on and a quick run up and down the Spur Road. Had a bit of a play with a ZR, Blue with green wheels, so that helped warm up the cat. Just got to decide if it stays on or not.

The TF is in tomorrow, with its new cat, so fingers crossed. Seems a bit quicker now as well.