theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 08-11-13, 07:06 AM   #31
Rossy

Rossy is on a distinguished road
"Update" .. well I have had the clutch kit inspected and replaced but they don't think my problem was the pressure plate or friction plate ,as there were no signs of wear on the friction plate as the Valeo stamp was still visible so had not had any contact with the flywheel ,they said it looked like the friction plate had stuck to the pressure plate ?? So they suggested that my problem lay elsewhere !! probably gearbox .. and to make matters worse !!!! My wife has given me my final warning !!!!! sort it or get rid of it from the driveway ....Mmmmh .. Can't bare to get rid of it as I love my Zs so much "when it's going" she's well named too -heart breaker- the car that is .. So can anybody suggest a remedy or how to properly check the gearbox off the car ..... many thanks for help so far ...
Old 08-11-13, 07:50 AM   #32
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
First step get rid of the wife. Ha Ha

Don't know your mechanical knowledge and not trying to teach granny, but:

That is how a clutch assembly works. Both sides are in full contact with the pressure plate and flywheel. Pressure on pedal via hydraulics sends thrust release forward against pressure plate and cantilever action releases pressure by bringing the pressure plate surface away from the friction plate.

I dont think for one minute it is gearbox problem. More so I doubt your original clutch was too bad either. I'd put money on it being siezed clutch arm and or not enough travel being offered from the hydraulic side of things.

I had to use extended bolt and lock nuts and washers at the pedal stop end on my sheddist kit to get the pedal up more or less in line with the brake pedal. This is where you need to start. First get one of the lads on here with a good operating system to measure slave cylinder travel to give you a rough idea of what you need.

I reckon you've gone on one of those fix it merry go rounds, at expense, which was unnecessary.

And just to keep her indoors happy, get her to work the pedal for you.

Last edited by tcb 180; 08-11-13 at 07:58 AM.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 09:21 AM   #33
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Or get her a big bunch of flowers!!!

When the clutch kit is bolted to the flywheel, might be worth seeing if its tight and you shouldnt be able to spin the centre plate. You might need a old lay shaft, or whatever the splined bit that comes out of the gearbox is called.

If it feels tight, it might be the gearbox is making the centre plate lose contact. Which as tcb says could point to a stuck clutch release arm, or the slave cylinder might be too long and not giving any free play on the clutch.

The release bearing all OK??

Failing that any good mobile mechanics that might be able to diagnose the problem. Know its going to cost, but save throwing more money at it.

Hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Old 08-11-13, 05:04 PM   #34
Rossy

Thanks guys ..... had thought of kicking the wife into touch. But Kelly Brook is a bit more expensive on the housekeeping money !! hah bought her a nice bottle of wine, keep her happy till she sobers up .... I know what folk are suggesting but when it was all in place the last time it was like the clutch was engaged all the time ..even when I took of the sheddist kit bracket and slave still made no difference you could select gears without touching the pedal ????and no drive at the wheels !!! Have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge over the years all be it on mini coopers but this has got me and a couple of friends totally flummoxed ... this saga is worse than the Forsythe one .. for the older viewers .... Cheers
Old 08-11-13, 05:36 PM   #35
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, the bit about being able to select gears with the engine running without using the clutch is a real puzzler tbh.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 05:40 PM   #36
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
The only other thing I can think of, which is pretty random is that the selector mechanism inside the box is broken, it isn't unheard of on a pg1, but is very rare, this would allow you to move the lever to all the gear positions, but wouldn't actually be selecting anything in the box.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 06:19 PM   #37
Rossy

Pete that's surprising that's what my mate said .. it's like a selection fault .. but once again will need to rule out things that it could be without spending allot of more money .. !!
Old 08-11-13, 06:59 PM   #38
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Are you saying you can select gears without touching the peddle while the engine is running?
If the engine was off you can select gears without touching the peddle.

With the gearbox out of the car you can check the action of the clutch are, does it move all the way through it's motion, does it act on the other end where the clutch sits etc?

You can also check that you can select the gears and that in each gear the drive from the clutch reaches the diff.
Old 08-11-13, 07:59 PM   #39
Rossy

Sorry mate Talkin .. youv'e lost me a wee bit .. when everything was installed on the first set up .. yes I could select gears without touching the clutch pedal but the only reverse gear would crunch a bit .. with no drive at the wheels when jacked up the hubs would turn but you could stop them by hand !!
Old 08-11-13, 11:16 PM   #40
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Then that has to mean that either the driven plate for some reason is disengaged, ( not being sandwiched tightly between the pressure plate and flywheel ) which I find hard to believe?

OR It is being sandwiched tightly and turning the gearbox first motion shaft and for whatever reason, the drive is not being transmitted through the gearbox via the lay shaft?
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote