theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 09-11-12, 10:02 PM   #1
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Help or advice as I'm totally confused..

Bit of a head vs heart thing going on ATM, I currently am considering selling the 180 to get a more practical family car for our current situation. Not saying the ZS isn't practical but now my partner and I have just had our second baby 4 weeks ago it's proving that running the 180 is maybe taking up a bit too much of my money. Only my income to support a now family of 4. My issue is if I do sell the 180 do I replace with a diesel version which will really only benefit on running costs or do I move upto a zt-t diesel? After just having gone out in the ZS for a "spirited" drive I am again in love with the noise and handling of it but again watching the gauge go down whilst doing so (nearly anyway) I then feel slightly guilty for the pleasure. Are the diesel models as good in the handling stakes as the 180's as the only derv I've owned was my old quite heavily modded 200 sd and that's why I was thinking about the 115 as a stating point. Anyway, thoughts keep flying through my head but I really don't know what way to go with it.. Any advice from others who have been in or are in similar situations would be appreciated and are the diesels anywhere as much fun?

Last edited by Craig-ZS180; 09-11-12 at 10:10 PM.
Craig-ZS180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 10:07 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
How?
Why?
Old 09-11-12, 10:12 PM   #3
Craig-ZS180

Craig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the roughCraig-ZS180 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
How?
Why?
Sorry hit the wrong button before finished writing. Hazards of using the iPhone when totally shattered unfortunately.
Old 09-11-12, 10:20 PM   #4
jorj

jorj is on a distinguished road
I really wanted a zt diesel for the finish and quality but think the zs suited me more for tuning and handling I guess just think about what would suit you best
jorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 10:25 PM   #5
WalkerDnB

WalkerDnB has a spectacular aura aboutWalkerDnB has a spectacular aura about
It it was me Id rather have a ZT Diesel than a ZS diesel tbh
also doesn't the ZT diesel use a BMW engine?

WalkerDnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 11:18 PM   #6
Craig-ZS180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorj View Post
I really wanted a zt diesel for the finish and quality but think the zs suited me more for tuning and handling I guess just think about what would suit you best
This I where it's difficult, I know that in reality the ZT-T would be far more practical with the extra space but my other half really doesn't like estates which is a negative against it and the second is that we both love driving the ZS.
I know the ZT won't handle the same but should I for now go with a more comfortable family tourer than a sportier hot hatch effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerDnB View Post
It it was me Id rather have a ZT Diesel than a ZS diesel tbh
also doesn't the ZT diesel use a BMW engine?
Yeah they are the BMW engines, Come in either 116 or 135 bhp models which I think related to 113 & 131.
I've found they can be easily mapped too which gives a very nice torque output. Head says the ZT but heart I think is still saying ZS.
I just don't know as not driven either yet as all the local ones to me are out of my budget.
Old 10-11-12, 07:58 AM   #7
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-ZS180 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
How?
Why?
Sorry hit the wrong button before finished writing. Hazards of using the iPhone when totally shattered unfortunately.

For what it's worth heres what I think.

The key to me is you saying "guilty pleasure. You need an outlet, not allowing yourself a bit of "me" will lead to resentment, yes, family come first but if you can do right by the family while retaining the car I would.

Just be a little more careful of when you put your foot down, even sign upto something like www.fuely.com and watch the fuel consumption, mine is improving through this.

Also do you really need an estate, holidays can be covered by the use of a roof box and most of the time the ZS is big enough.

If your car is sorted you run the risk of buying a money pit and even simply changing cars will cost you money, the ZS isn't worth a great deal so you'll need to put cash to it to get a "better" diesel.

I'd keep it, drive a little more gently and enjoy the 180 when you can.

James

P.S. congratulations on the birth of no.2.
Old 10-11-12, 08:02 AM   #8
talkingcars

And if you both like the ZS and your good lady doesn't like estates what are you gaining by buying a ZT diesel apart from a car that will cost more when it breaks?
Old 10-11-12, 08:25 AM   #9
Captain Peanut

Captain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the roughCaptain Peanut is a jewel in the rough
I made the mistake of moving to an estate when my second came along, was great for lugging stuff on holiday once a year but cost a load more to run as a daily.

I think the two posts above hit the nail on the head, you are probably going to lose money on the 180 given current prices and will regret it.
Old 10-11-12, 08:44 AM   #10
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough
I couldn't compare the three as I didn't own any other than the ZS derv, but someone on here will drop a line... Personally I wouldn't go for a ZT-T unless I really needed an estate, but each to their own.

As for the ZS derv, I don't see why it wouldn't handle the same as the 180, the brakes you may as well upgrade to 180 ones or some aftermarket setup. It will be slower and it wouldn't sound as pretty but it's a compromise you have to take when you want to save on fuel. Anything with a BMW engine would provide less mpg than the L-series.

Also, it being rather simple, there are less things to go wrong and most of the time you would drive it rather than repair it...

Although not so powerful, it's torgue won't dissapoint you and your pocket money would be enough to tune it a bit if you want a lot more power.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote