theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 22-03-15, 11:05 AM   #41
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
stainless bolts are not very strong, stick with the oe bolts in stress areas, stainless are fine for pretty things, like holding a fairing on a motorbike.
Okie doke will do.
Just didn't want them seizing up but I guess if i clean up the parts properly it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also I won't be going another 13 years without touching them again!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-15, 09:11 PM   #42
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
I'm not sure tbh. I absolutely love how it looks wider.
Something definitely needs to give though. Maybe 10mm off each of the rears and an arch roller.
The mk1 has.5inch less width on the wheel too so I was pushing it really but hey. I love with it.

Yeah it won't be getting done the day before. I'll be travelling down in daylight to stop the midges getting me and doing final prep work (quick detail at the Mrs in Lymm)
If I get chance I'll do it well before and I'll get some stainless bolts sorted for the suspension too.
No not yet. I'm hoping the local guy will see fruition but I'm not sure until then.
I read a few threads saying that the ECU has enough capacity to learn the 270's not sure how true that is though.
Also that it'll run lean top end but again I've heard they're all that way but I guess with a different cam it'll be leaner still.
I'm actually really looking forward to POL, so much to do yet though.
Hope you do manage to get the coilovers on, it will look incredible
I've heard talk of learning regarding the ECU too, I don't think the word learning is strictly true to be honest but rather the ECU will pluck different values from a pre-determined range dependent upon input sensor values such as lambda, temp, engine speed etc.
As long as these pre-determined ranges contain suitable values for the different input values due to the mods then you should be ok. If not, that is where a re-map comes in.

The above isn't based on experience with the 180 ECU but rather my understanding of how an ECU works in general.

Anyway, I'm talking too much. Re-map for race car points.
Old 23-03-15, 09:06 AM   #43
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
I'm actually really looking forward to POL, so much to do yet though.
Hope you do manage to get the coilovers on, it will look incredible
I've heard talk of learning regarding the ECU too, I don't think the word learning is strictly true to be honest but rather the ECU will pluck different values from a pre-determined range dependent upon input sensor values such as lambda, temp, engine speed etc.
As long as these pre-determined ranges contain suitable values for the different input values due to the mods then you should be ok. If not, that is where a re-map comes in.

The above isn't based on experience with the 180 ECU but rather my understanding of how an ECU works in general.

Anyway, I'm talking too much. Re-map for race car points.
I'm getting more excited at the prospect too! Just wish the paintwork was in better condition but that will come with time.
Just paid for the coilovers this morning and they'll be with me by tomorrow so their courier is ace! They needed a rod doing so more than I was expecting but I paid far less overall than buying new so I'm pleased.
I also just ordered so gear to do the arches which will be with me by the end of the week so if the car is done (saw it on the garage forecourt this morning which may be promising) I'll try and get it all widened, trimmed and fitted this weekend! I'll spray penetrating fluid everyday I have the car back up till its time and I have a blow torch which may help with the bolts.

Glad the car is serving you well though! It'll be good to see it in the flesh!
When my saloon was stripped out it definitely felt sharper so it should be good!
Old 23-03-15, 09:20 AM   #44
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
how much extra was the rod from gaz? i have 2 or 3 rusting away!!! luckily out of the working zone.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-15, 09:42 AM   #45
Skillen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
how much extra was the rod from gaz? i have 2 or 3 rusting away!!! luckily out of the working zone.
£36.50 unit price +vat so actually pretty reasonable.
I needed two.
Old 23-03-15, 05:31 PM   #46
Silverdreamracer

Silverdreamracer is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
I trust the latter is Howard's car who had the cage done at SW? (based on car colour rather than driver description ).
Phil, just ignore the buffoon, ....... he'll be chuckling away to himself like a demented slug!!!!
Silverdreamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-15, 10:17 PM   #47
ZS Phil

*Update time*

So the car is still at SW having lots of work done, it's been there just over 3 weeks so hopefully I should get it back relatively soon... he did say a week but obviously don't want anything to be rushed so playing it cool for now.
There will be another update to follow but this one is to cover the work I did before I dropped it off.

Like last time, I'll try not to write too much and tell the story with pictures where I can:

This is the continuation of my cold air feed...

Light weight fuel hatch release cable:

Just to show the vent holes... the MK2 grille was just a temp fix while the mesh was away getting powder coated. MK1 grille is back on now (no pics yet though).

Look at this pile of scrap...

Sheared bolt 1 of 1 thankfully

Next there be fire.

Then some presents came.

Then remember that scrap?

She got a thorough undersealing while I was at it, minus 10 racecar points for added weight

Did a bit of gardening in the wing first though...

Going back together

Complete aircon system completely removed, absolutely everything: This is where the compressor used to live and the pulley, running the shorter belt works a treat.

More weight saving inside, all window mechanisms and motors gone along with a large proportion of door skin. Windows secured with old seatbelt, will do fine until I get some polycarbinate windows but that can wait for the weight it will save (crash bars are staying)

Seats back in:

Lets not forget her mate...

And that's where she was up to. Ran out of time to take more pictures of the front sus set up but they can come later.

Can't wait to get her back now... watch this space.
Old 02-05-15, 11:21 PM   #48
Skillen

Awesome work Phil!
We're the bushes easy to do? Mine want doing as the harder suspension has exposed so much knocking and banging going on all round but I don't have access to a vice :/

Good to see that even though it's now a track slag that so much work is going into it and it's probably getting more love than if I'd sold it locally.
Old 03-05-15, 12:23 AM   #49
ZS Phil

Cheers
Yeh, its having plenty of time and effort spent on it so no chance of it being neglected.

To be honest, the bushes are really easy to fit although a vice does make life 10 times easier. Thinking about it, its the tool I use most without a shadow of a doubt, certainly worth you investing in one.

The tricky bit (or the bit which CAN be tricky) is getting all the components off without shearing seized / rusty bolts. I soaked everything in Plus Gas at least 3 times and drove it for about 2 weeks before even attempting it... seemed to work.
The other part that took a bit of time was getting the old bushes out, obviously if you have a bearing press its not an issue but the "burn and cut" method worked fine for me... again, you need a vice though really.

But yeh, its all "doable".
Old 03-05-15, 07:06 AM   #50
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Coming along nicely there Phil. It's very pleasing when everything gets stripped, cleaned, painted and fitted with new parts. I've a few more bits to play with myself yet, just leaving it until my dodgy arm tendons heal. Are you replacing the brakes hoses? I would if I were you, HEL ones are priced very well and good quality, added bling too