theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 30-04-18, 04:24 PM   #31
Street Elite

Street Elite is on a distinguished road
Where in the UK? Passenger doors still in good condition?

Drew
Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 04:34 PM   #32
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Elite View Post
Where in the UK? Passenger doors still in good condition?

Drew
The 180? Its sat in my unit down between Alton and Winchester... The doors were replaced with good ones, so yeah they might be odd colours (two are XPG and two are green) and two handles need the normal fix, but I don't think they are dented or anything.

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 04:41 PM   #33
Street Elite

Street Elite is on a distinguished road
I could use some new ones on my xpg. Car park scratch/dent through both doors!

Drew
Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-18, 08:10 PM   #34
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I didn't realise it was that bad. I never touched the boost when I had it, left it as found. I will admit if I kept it myself I would have looked at a rebuild in the future with forged internals as that is what it needs with that spec. It is really on the edge.
Old 30-04-18, 09:00 PM   #35
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
there is no way anyone would have realised it was that bad till it happened.

I was going to do a rebuild at some point anyway, its just speed up my plans

Old 23-08-19, 11:54 AM   #36
ZS
IT Administrator

So... a long time coming, life gets in the way... but I decided it really is time to get the car back on the road! (I didn't realise it had been quite so long actually!)

I have been collecting parts over the last year and, after moving house, now have a garage I can work in, rather than trying to do this on the drive at my previous house.

I started the strip down last weekend:

engine.jpg

Whilst there I found a troubling sight, the large black intake hose in this photo:

turbo-n-pipe.jpg

Yeah that hose, it goes from the ITG enclosed filter, through the normal route, into the inner wing. But it was full (I mean full) of water!

So once the car is back together I need to work out a way to stop water getting to the induction system.

Realising that actually it is quite possible that all my non starting issues could simply be down to the lack of air getting past the water, I could have reassembled the lot and see if it started up. However I am this far now and I have all the parts... So I am going to continue with the rebuild.

First issue: Cambelt cover is held on by alen head bolts, so simply remove them all, top cover comes off easy, bottom cover has ONE 8mm bolt at the bottom left. I have two socket sets in my house and not a single 8mm socket!?!?!? How did that happen? Plenty of 7mm and 9mm but no 8mm.

No matter, I will get the other tools from the unit in the week. Lets move on to the sump and work my way through the bolts on that.

Second Issue: The sump is also held on by alen head bolts. I easily remove 6 of them, the 7th is a little harder than the others so apply a little more pressur....BANG. I snapped my tool leaving part of it in the bolt!

Right, thats enough for the day (this was last weekend) I will grab yet more tools from the unit and bring them back ready to work on the car over the bank holiday weekend! (Apparently going to be one of the hottest august bank holidays on record).

Anyway, thought you guys would like an update and to know the car is not dead, and is being fixed (finally!)

Old 23-08-19, 11:59 AM   #37
ZS
IT Administrator

Because I have added my other cars to this thread before...

The MGF is back on the road, turns out the issues i had with that are because the altinator froze up and the resulting high load melted the cable between the altinator and the starter motor.

The MGF is currently white, with line drawings all over... but has gone back in the booth for a respray before a show next weekend!

The MG6 flywheel is dead, currently still being used as a workhorse, but it desperately needs changing (poor show at 40k miles IMO and costs over a grand to fix in parts alone apparently).

the RX8 is the reliable one!

The 180, is sitting at the unit waiting for me to find time to do the bodywork that is required!

Old 23-08-19, 10:02 PM   #38
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Busy boy Sam! Have you moved again? Can’t keep up.
Old 23-08-19, 11:18 PM   #39
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Busy boy Sam! Have you moved again? Can’t keep up.
Yeah we moved over to Bordon, closer to work for me and a bigger house, plus a garage which is a massive plus

Old 26-08-19, 02:46 PM   #40
ZS
IT Administrator

Got the head off:

engine.jpg

head.jpg

and in the process noticed that the timing was massively out:

timing.jpg

Now I am stumped on the sump. It is held on by theses (imo stupid) hex bolts:

Bolt_top.jpg bolt_side.jpg

And I have managed to snap two hex key tools inside two of the nuts (the rest undid really easy!).

Anyone have any idea, either how to get the rest of the tool out of the bolt, or how to remove the bolt without doing any damage to the sump or block?