theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-01-11, 02:25 PM   #41
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Can get a form from the post office, have to glue your old tax disk onto the form and send it in.

Should have done it in Dec as its clear months only for a refund, dont know if you went into your local DVLO might be kind and let you have Jan back if you took the disk in there first thing on the 2/1/11

Old 04-01-11, 07:58 AM   #42
MG 53 ZED

MG 53 ZED is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

If it is purely down to running costs then go for it because you will notice a huge difference. I had a 2.5L BMW E46 but had to change her due to running costs. I can honestly say my ZSTD is the best TD i have ever owned and i have had a couple of different makes in the past. I do miss my 2.5L but the performance and running cost of my ZSTD does put a smile on my face plus there are mods you can do to upgrade that performance without effecting mpg a huge amount. Only major issue i had with her was the downpipe had disconected itself from the engine due to rusting, replaced that with a stainless steel pipe and also de-cat what a difference. Good luck finding one if you decide to go ahead they do seem to be in short supply.
MG 53 ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 09:26 AM   #43
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
Its deff about the running cost sadly... did my sums yest..
I got it at the start of March 2010 at 77k and its now on 96k so in 9 months I have put on 19k miles which is bloody mad when you think that a tank usually does 280 miles for ?58... sooo thats 67.85 tanks of fuel at ?58 a tank so in 9 months I have spent.... ?3935.72 on fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ish...
Im not saying I didnt enjoy those miles because I have they have been loads of fun with more ups and downs than a rollercoasterbut unlike other cars I have never lost faith or thought 'balls I want rid of it' Thats why I want the zs td mainly because I will have the mpg, fun and with a few mods.. loads of torque lol.
Old 04-01-11, 09:59 AM   #44
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
I had a ZS TDi before the 180...

The 180 is MUCH cheaper to run, and much more reliable

In the three years of ownership my TDi had the following (that I can remember)...

4 Head Gasket Failures
A New Engine (Diagnosed Pourous Block)
Six Boost Hoses
Front Sub frame fell off so new one of them
Top left (as looking from front when bonnet up) engine mount fell off, so new one of them
Two New Turbo's (Tied in with Gasket failures)
New Fuel Pump
SRS faults
Aircon Compressor failed, meaning replacement which consisted of removing half the engine to get to it (apparently)
clutch plates collapsed (too much torque ffrom the engine for the clutch)

That wasn't modified at all...

In comparison the 180, in 5 years, has had... errr...

Gearbox (caused by shoddy repair before I got it)
Clutch Hydrolics

Mind you, I was doing 1000 miles a week in the Diesel

As for cost of fuel for these cars... Diesel is a good 10p more expensive in some places, the TDi I got 500 miles to a tank on a good run, the 180 i can get 400 miles to a tank on a good run... So... errr.. not that much in it economy wise when driven nicely. HOWEVER, put your foot down in the 180 and you can see 200 miles per tank and less, put your foot down in the TDi and your still seeing high 400's

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk

Last edited by ZS; 04-01-11 at 10:02 AM.
ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 10:57 AM   #45
lawrence-zs180

its all bloody swings and roundabouts aint it.....
In the time I have had my 180 its had several bits replaced but they have usually been with uprated parts and it needed loads of service parts done because it had not been loved for a while (in all I have spent ?2k on it) but I will know that for nxt time.. If I keep this then I know whats 'wrong' with it and what will need doing in the future where as with thw nxt one I might get a minger...even with what I know about the zs this would still be my first derv...
Ahhhhhh its a right mind melter!!! and drives like yest dont help either... picked up a R8 and 911 after a set of lights and they where content with swapping places for the 8 miles we did... we all pulled in at a lay-by and had a look round eachothers cars and I came to work with a stupid grin again lol.
Old 04-01-11, 11:02 AM   #46
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
lawrence... How much will it cost you to change to a Diesel? ?1000? More?

How long will it take you to get that money back from Insurance and Fuel? 1 year? 2 years?

Is it worth changing?

Old 04-01-11, 11:09 AM   #47
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

ZS, Think your ZSTD must have been a friday afternoon car, had mine almost three years, did have belts, fluids and big service done when I bought it.

Only thing, apart from oil changes/filters has been new rear disks and pads, when it deceided to eat them when we were on holiday.

Thats taking it on 3 novice days round Brands and about 7 runs at Santa Pod, so its not been moddle coddled, and 30K miles.

Also ?125 tax for the TD, plus hopefully lower ins. costs, no vis motors or thermostat housings, pleniums, clutch hydraulics seem to last longer as well.

As in everything you pay your money and take the risk.
Old 04-01-11, 11:11 AM   #48
lawrence-zs180

lol your a bad man ZS ...
its gonna be like ?2500 for a sound derv by the looks of things and I will get like ?1500 for the 180 so yea its gonna be a grand aint it and then I will start to play because of the loss of power so the money I save will go straight back into it lol.
Im prob gonna keep it and see what happens, wont stop me looking for a td though just mean that I will be more spercific on what I want also i know that in the nxt 4 months my 180 is gonna need a new clutch and the belts will be up for changing in 2012 just on age more than mileage so I might see if I can get a 4x4 for the winter nxt year and then keep this at the farm for a summer car....

Last edited by lawrence-zs180; 04-01-11 at 11:14 AM.
lawrence-zs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 12:43 PM   #49
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzs View Post
ZS, Think your ZSTD must have been a friday afternoon car, had mine almost three years, did have belts, fluids and big service done when I bought it.
No Doubt about it but was just pointing out sometimes things can go wrong with them

Quote:
Only thing, apart from oil changes/filters has been new rear disks and pads, when it deceided to eat them when we were on holiday.
I had a 101 (one of the first at that!) and it had Drums on the back so no rear calipers to go wrong.

Quote:
Also ?125 tax for the TD, plus hopefully lower ins. costs, no vis motors or thermostat housings, pleniums, clutch hydraulics seem to last longer as well.
Ahhh forgot about that one... The thermostat housing started leaking on the TDi as well (think the engineer cracked it when tightening it up) so needed a new stat for it!

In the car's defence, I do think the root cause was a very bad batch of engine blocks (was well documented at the time by landrover, but not by MG or rover) that were shipped out porous - was a huge problem for the Freelanders at that time! Then every issue afterwards was caused by the engine change and shoddy engineers IMO

Would I have another one? Hmm... difficult question... I have concidered getting a TDi again for the long journey's I do, but it would have to be a second car... so a Rover 400 or maybe a 45 would be the way forward for me there (Purely down to insurance costs - and a 45 rather than a 25 size, because I have two young children so need the extra space)

Old 04-01-11, 12:45 PM   #50
ZS
IT Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence-zs180 View Post
lol your a bad man ZS ...
its gonna be like ?2500 for a sound derv by the looks of things and I will get like ?1500 for the 180 so yea its gonna be a grand aint it and then I will start to play because of the loss of power so the money I save will go straight back into it lol
Therefore the reason for getting one over the 180, which was to SAVE money, is now null and void... therefore best to stay with the 180