theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 19-03-16, 08:53 AM   #1
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Before I post another update, I should finish off the previous update for the previous lot of changes.

I finished changing the pads, lines and coilovers on the other side too and thought I'd try some brake fluid marketed as "racing quality". DOT 4 still but wet and dry boiling points are still higher than the minimum requirement for DOT 5.

Also, I wasn't happy with the doors which looked like this, note the rods as handles and tatty wiring:

So I set at it with my new light weight door handle kit which I've been co-developing with McLaren:

Note the tidied loom, central locking and electric mirrors still connected, just thinned out all the electric window and speaker wires.

Acquired some lightly used slicks and got them mounted on another set of straights:

Decided I'd do another day at Blyton so gave it a quick clean and wax... not sure waxing a track car is the "done thing" but its my pride and joy so who cares. Note trial fit of slicks too

Had another day at Blyton, took it on a trailer for the first time, much better for the back, the new spring rates are a bit extreme for road use really.

Early start

Don't think I've shared any pics of the rep mobile yet but here it is in all of its German blandness:

Put the slicks on at lunch time and managed to get about 6 laps before it started raining. Here I am waiting to get on track with slicks for the first time watching a grey cloud come over.
As soon as the rain started I was straight in. Managed to get them warm and really go for it the last couple of laps. Pleased is an understatement, they performed incredibly.

The brakes, suspension and tyres all performed really well. Difficult to compare progress I know but going by the types of machinery I'm playing with now, I think were going in the right direction.

*NEXT ROUND OF CHANGES- ENGINE/ EXHAUST*

The belts were just coming up to be changed and "top-man-eldo" was breaking his 180 which had piper 270 cams only a couple of thousand miles old. Timing was right so purchased the cams and the various other supplies to do the cams and belts together.

Props to the club for the loan of the timing tools:

Got as many new genuine parts as I could, all belts, tensioners, pulley bolts, cam seals, gaskets etc are genuine, the water pump is a continental one with metal impeller and pulley. Its amazing how the cost of all the little seals required adds up, something which I didn't really factor in.

An interesting comparison, piper 270 cams vs stock.

Inlet:

Exhaust:

Strip down...

Last edited by ZS Phil; 19-03-16 at 09:59 AM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 09:47 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Looking good. Some tracks don't allow slicks for track days. Part of the fun of doing this is seeing what the little changes make.
Old 19-03-16, 09:59 AM   #3
ZS Phil

*Continuation of above*

Unfortunately when removing the dip stick tube this happened because it was rusted solid:

Of course a tiny piece of plastic fell into the sump which meant taking the sump off...

To get the sump off the standard manifolds had to come off which was perfect because I had a set of janspeed manifolds waiting to go on anyway which I've had for a few months:

Some comparisons, no words required:

Stock-

Janspeed- Still crude but far better

Comparison of port size-

Going back together-

Since the old one was destroyed

Tools

Manis and sump back on, also changed the decat pipe for a Janspeed one- just a bit neater.

I also changed the power steering pump for a non-noisy one (no pics)

Since the car will probably running lean on the standard map, I originally planned to get the car mapped but as luck would have it, "top-man-eldos" car was exactly the same spec as mine to every last engine/ exhaust mod. We therefore came to a deal on his ECU set which has been rolling roaded at 211bhp

So, it's all back together again with fresh oil and fluids and fired up straight away. I was toying with doing a track day today at Anglesey but I left it too late to get a trailer sorted so would have to have driven there which I don't really fancy.
Instead, I've taxed and insured it for a year last night so I can now easily take it to a few local places for some jobs I want doing. For example its booked in at a local rolling road later today just to make sure its running as it should- will be interesting to compare to the original dyno graph (going back to the same place in the interests of a fair test).

Will update later with numbers but it feels and sounds incredible

Last edited by ZS Phil; 19-03-16 at 10:05 AM.
ZS Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 11:19 AM   #4
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Lots of progress, and the photos make it more interesting.
Old 19-03-16, 11:34 AM   #5
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
The cams and janspeed definitely make it sound different! I still need to get my piper pulleys on and take it for mapping! Thanks for reminding me of yet another damn job lol!

Hoping to see you two and the car if we go to PoL!
Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 11:56 AM   #6
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillen View Post
The cams and janspeed definitely make it sound different! I still need to get my piper pulleys on and take it for mapping! Thanks for reminding me of yet another damn job lol!

Hoping to see you two and the car if we go to PoL!
I've got a straight through center section too so the only silencing is the back box... it's pretty loud.

I read the standard file from the standard ECU before I took it out, do you want me to email it you so your guy can take a look at it?

Hope you can make POL, I'm all set to go.
Old 19-03-16, 12:40 PM   #7
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Some good work been going on there, I don't like using that style flexi pipe for the intake, it doesn't flow so well, I prefer using silicone and hard piping as much as possible

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-16, 12:51 PM   #8
Skillen

Skillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the roughSkillen is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
I've got a straight through center section too so the only silencing is the back box... it's pretty loud.

I read the standard file from the standard ECU before I took it out, do you want me to email it you so your guy can take a look at it?

Hope you can make POL, I'm all set to go.
I've moved away from Cumbria to Chester now so nowhere near him anymore unfortunately as he was into his k series engines! Even DjWilma sent his Elise up to him so he must have been decent!

Entirely new area means I know nothing about good car places and local mechanics!

It's gonna be a push for PoL,
Got the kit for the mk2 brembodge now and no paint for the calipers so may not get those on before

Need the new bumper sprayed up and fitted

Need front wing sorted as it's just glue and bare where the kit used to be :/

Would like the Clio splitter on

Wash and polish

Skillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-17, 04:04 PM   #9
ZS Phil

So in the last year there have been quite a few developments.

I'll post some pictures if/ when I get chance but the main thing is, I went and raced it.

My driving needs work but what a buzz!

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdaZfVAlelw
Old 22-04-17, 10:02 PM   #10
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
That is awesome ! For your first time out - you did really well mate.

The driving at 2.30 by both you and "ashley" in the blue ZS was impressive. Meddling little old red MG .....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote