AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 01-11-12, 02:23 PM   #11
zsserbia

zsserbia will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZAbYbaBUTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUjMl20hr0

Last edited by zsserbia; 01-11-12 at 02:32 PM.
zsserbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 05:43 PM   #12
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Neat but not a road car which is what I assume the O/P was considering.
Old 01-11-12, 06:00 PM   #13
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
I always thought an inline 4 turbo like a silvia would be immense, would suit the zs to the ground
Old 01-11-12, 06:03 PM   #14
Adamzs180

Adamzs180 will become famous soon enough
if i did this i would want it road legal.
it seems like the easiest route 'if there is one' is to buy a 260 and put the zs body on top.
other options i've been toying with are to put the engine in the boot and bolt on a rousch supercharger and make it rwd, although this then leaves me with the issue of no weight over the front wheels and a very undrivable car.
so i got to thinking and wondered if i move the driving position back then that should create more front end space therefore allowing room for the larger engine, i've seen this done on a golf with a tvr v8 soif thats possible then my plans should be too.
Adamzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 07:03 PM   #15
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
I did this with my Chevette, hence the new bulkhead. Propshaft was 18" long when finished. The problem with fitting a V8 longitudinally is its length and ensuring enough room left for the radiator and cooling. However it is not uncommon for a boot mounted one with decent fans and air flow. If I had a big enough garage I would be looking into doing such a conversion. It is just finding the right engine and gearbox to make it worthwhile.
Old 02-11-12, 06:53 AM   #16
MG mad

MG mad is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't go down the route of popping a ZS body on a ZT 260 platform for a couple of reason: wheelbase on the ZT is about 120mm longer (and track is wider but that's easy to deal with), and the ZT engine isn't the greatest thing in the world. I say this as someone who owns (or, more accurately, who's wife owns) a 260 which we can't ever see us selling as it is a fantastic car, but the engine uses technology that is about as current as 80's fashion. There are far better options for engines around, especially when you consider the weight.

Having said that, there are brand new rear stuff ups for the 260 floating around which have everything you'd need for the rear end if going RWD, and if you can find a front subframe from a 260 you could use that together with a 4V Ford engine as the block is basically the same as the 260's 2V engine, but alloy. That also gives you 320hp in 4.6L form, and more in 5.0 and 5.4L. Then you just need a gearbox (the standard box in the 260 is ok, but there are much better options around that Ford have used behind the 4V engines) and lots of fabrication.

"Driving sideways is the Meaning of Life"

1987 MG Metro - 1440cc fast road car
1988 MG Metro Turbo - standard, for now...
1970 MG Midget - 1.9L Scholar + big valve VVC + supercharger + RWD = YEEHAA!
1996 MGF 1.8i - Project Rally Car
1998 MGF Abingdon - Wife's fun car
1972 MGBGT - Project V12 MGB (Wife's money pit)
2005 MG ZT-T 260 - Wife's sensible car
2001 MG ZS 180 - LHD - sold to brother
2003 MG ZS 180 - Hurrah!
1956 MG ZA Magnette - the "wife wants to keep me busy" car
MG mad is offline   Reply With Quote