theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 31-10-12, 09:15 PM   #1
Adamzs180

Adamzs180 will become famous soon enough
v8 zs

I spotted a v8 engine and box for sale on eBay. Now this is very tempting as I love the v8 noise. But what else would I need to drop this into a zs. If it will fit. I'm assuming I'd need a new diff, drive shafts, suspension, engine mounts moved and strengthened. Then if all this is going to cost over 6000 I may just buy a 260 and have a play around with that instead.
Adamzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-12, 09:20 PM   #2
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
Pretty sure Ive heard Ross mention that it wont fit as it was something he looked into with the building of the Touring car.
Then again throw enough money at something and almost anything is possible.

Last edited by BUCKYDEVIL; 31-10-12 at 09:23 PM.
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-12, 09:21 PM   #3
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
need a new floorpan made up, will cost more than 6000 unless your doing it all yourself including the fabricating of custom mounts and wiring looms ect
im assuming this would be rwd
Old 31-10-12, 09:30 PM   #4
Adamzs180

Hmmm, what about an rr v8. Obviously everything would have to be purpose built. But hyperthetically would it work.
Old 31-10-12, 09:35 PM   #5
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
anything is possible but as said its all about cost, youd probably be cheaper to fit a zs body to the car you want the engine from
Old 31-10-12, 09:39 PM   #6
Adamzs180

Hmmm. I suppose realistically. A plan like that would cost too much. If I can buy an EVO 6 for the same price or less then it's not worth it in my opinion.
Old 01-11-12, 05:37 AM   #7
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
Or... Buy a knackered TVR Chimeara, with rotten chassis and bad bodywork for around £3500 and there is pretty much everything you need, except ALOT of time and patience! The Chim body you can lift straight off the chassis, like they did in topgear.
Biggest issue would be space for the prop shaft. But not much stopping you from welding the cleaned up Chimaera chassis into the zed floor (strength and fair base) then carving the zeds floor to suit.
Electrics are a breeze (and probably greatly improved over standard TVR electrics!)
Sounds fun.. I wanna go :-)

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 07:17 AM   #8
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Having done a couple of V8 conversions I would definately say go RWD as from your description it reads still FWD and that is no good. RWD will require re-fabricating the bulkhead, transmission tunnel and work around the rear end to take an axle or independant suspension etc. It is possible and the only limiting factor is skill in carrying it out.

I carried out a switch on my track Vauxhall Chevette from 1256cc to 1900 Manta to Rover V8. The whole front end was removed so as to get the engine in as far back and as low as possible to keep the balance right.
Engine mounts were fabricated.

New bulkhead and transmission tunnel fabricated.
New propshaft was made.
New pedal box and remote servo.
Modified steering column.
Custom manifolds.
Suspension changed.
Exhaust system.
Wiring loom.
Fuel lines.
Fuel tank moved and or custom made if fouling.

I would say do it as it is on my wishlist of ideal mods to a ZS that would take it to a whole different level.
Old 01-11-12, 08:43 AM   #9
Adamzs180

That sounds like a lot of work. I have the garage space, availability of knowledgeable friends and family plus the knowledge on this forum. I'll have a head scratch moment and weigh up the pros and cons.
Old 01-11-12, 08:55 AM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
This is a major undertaking - especially with all the systems and electronics on a modern car.

The easiest route is to drop the ZS body onto the V8 chassis and use all the doner car electronics etc and mate the ZS lighting to it. This would be easier with the mk1 than the mk2 with it's BCU.

In theory the Range Rover would be interesting but the gearboxes etc would take up so much room, for 4x4 you'd be better with an impretza or an evo but then you'd have to miss out on the V8.