AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 25-10-15, 01:28 AM   #1
Aradon

Aradon is on a distinguished road
Project keep me sane.

Ello gents,

I recently smashed my other knee up at the RAF Judo Championships, hence the thread title. I'm out of action once again and I need something to focus on.

So, had the motor a while now and love it a lot. I really want to play with it and make some changes. I had my sights set on breaking into the 300 club but I'm told this would cost massive bucks.

What I'm after knowing is what is my best plan of attack for tuning up the car? I don't have a huge budget, but I do want to squeeze the most out of the engine.

Any and all tips would be massively welcomed
Aradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 08:27 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Unfortunately the KV6 is limited in that department. 200 is an achievable figure with breathing and remap mods. 210 possible with cams but that is starting to enter big money area again compared to the cars worth. Pretty sure more is there but quite how much more is never printed. Most go for T16 for more and a lower budget. My next step may well be nitrous for that bit of fun
Old 25-10-15, 09:11 AM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I'd be making it more comfitable, heated seats, cruise, rear electrics.........
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:14 AM   #4
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Why nobody has ever fitted a b18c vtec engine from an MB6 civic and boosted it is beyond me.
Cost of the engine, gearbox, shafts etc and fitting (AWM have done at least 1 into a ZR so can't see it being a problem, plus the MB6 is the same chassis).
Then loads of companies do turbo kits, race tech has a good rep, see link below.
350 bhp on stock internals is considered "safe"

http://www.race-tech.net/index.php?m...products_id=39
Old 25-10-15, 09:20 AM   #5
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS Phil View Post
Why nobody has ever fitted a b18c vtec engine from an MB6 civic and boosted it is beyond me.
It's not very nice to look at.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:38 AM   #6
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
One of the reasons is it being mounted with the gearbox at the drivers side, the only bubble 400 that used that configuration was the 416 auto.
It is plainly doable but maybe the fabrication and wiring changes put a lot of people off the idea

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:47 AM   #7
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
560bhp at 12psi !!!

http://www.ek9.org/index.php?threads...anzai-d.66386/

I think the honda motors look lovely too.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:50 AM   #8
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
800bhp on high boost!!!!!, my money, here take it !

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-15, 09:52 AM   #9
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Be interesting to know what AMW would charge for a drive in drive out conversion. I can't imagine it being massively different to their price for putting a T16 into a ZR.
I guess the Honda parts are more expensive though.
Old 25-10-15, 09:56 AM   #10
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
some honda parts are expensive, others surprisingly are not, a friend is having the same firm as did the 560bhp civic build him a k24 production class race engine, unlike the other high revving hondas this motor will rev to 7200rpm and do 250bhp nasp. there is a clear upgrade path to over 300hp!
250 may not sound much - they do a b16a nasp with 250bhp - but its the torque that the k24 has that will make it fast, even in a big old barge race car as the cl7 accord.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote