theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 19-05-12, 08:53 PM   #1
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
In need of some help!

I recently had my nsr caliper replaced at my local friendly garage as it was knackered. I had the discs and pads done too while it was in, so all sliders etc should of been greased as they told me they had, but now the osr caliper has seized. When they did the other caliper they did say the other one would probably follow suit at some point in the near future.

I am just wondering how easy it is to change it myself as I am not paying out 75 quid for the part plus the labour and all just before the MOT as well.

Before anyone says, the local scrappie hasn't got any and I can't get any second hand ones off ebay as I have to use the car again for work on Tuesday night and it wouldn't arrive in time.

I am really worried as I don't want to bake the pads and/or warp the discs as that's what happened on the other side last time.

Any suggestions, or any how 2's knocking about??

Thanks people!!
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-12, 09:05 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Don't know of a how to but they aren't difficult.

Eurocarparts are good for replacment calipers, about £50 each exchange.
Old 19-05-12, 09:20 PM   #3
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
Very easy, are you just freeing up the sliders ?

12+14mm spanner and a philips screwdriver for the disk screws.

Jack the car up and take the wheel of. Undo the two philips screws (they may need drilling out) undo the two bolts on the slider with the 12mm spanner. Lever the caliper of. If you can pull the pins out do so and clean and grease them up. (dont take the rubber dust guards out of the carrier they are not easy to get back in). If not undo the two bolts holding the carrier to the hub so you can do it on the bench.

Wind the piston back in clock wise with a flat bar, just a little to put it back to gether.

I think you are a little to far away but I would be happy to do it for you

Last edited by big_wasa; 20-05-12 at 07:30 AM.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-12, 10:30 PM   #4
James Raby

James Raby will become famous soon enough
Good ol Norfolk us boys!!! Loely coastal erosion to help us allong on our way,,,,
Old 19-05-12, 10:32 PM   #5
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Don't know of a how to but they aren't difficult.

Eurocarparts are good for replacment calipers, about £50 each exchange.
I did look on their website but the prices were quite high for the rears, but I think there is a new ish branch opened in Norwich so do some investigating into that one cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_wasa View Post
Very easy, are you just freeing up the sliders ?

12+14mm spanner and a philips screwdriver for the disk screws.

Jack the car up and take the wheel of. Undo the two philips screws (they may need drilling out) undo the two bolts on the slider with the 12mm spanner. Lever the caliper of. If you can pull the pins out do so and clean and grease them up. (dont take the rubber dust guards out of the carrier they are not easy to get back in). If not undo the two bolts holding the caliper to the hub so you can do it on the bench.

Wind the piston back in clock wise with a flat bar, just a little to put it back to gether.

I think you are a little to far away but I would be happy to do it for you
I will have a look at the caliper tomorrow or Monday, but they are new slider bolts on there. I think it's the caliper itself but I will know more upon inspection. I am not sure about how to go about getting the spring from the handbrake off. Do I just loosen it from the nut inside the car then unclip the spring on the caliper. There is a couple of scrappies near Norwich so might be worth giving them a try but the chances of them having a 180 osr calliper are quite slim I think.
Thanks for the offer, it always seems to be that hardly anybody is from around here.
Old 19-05-12, 10:33 PM   #6
KirkJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Raby View Post
Good ol Norfolk us boys!!! Loely coastal erosion to help us allong on our way,,,,
Yeah tell me about it mate, damn sea air!!
Old 19-05-12, 10:40 PM   #7
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Most likely not the caliper,it is most likely the pads will be sticking in the carrier,do as was said above and strip the sliders out and re grease but on refitting file some material from the top and bottom edges of the pads where they contact the shims in the carrier they stick all the time causing issues as well its overlooked a lot when people do the back brakes on the Zs.
Old 19-05-12, 10:44 PM   #8
KirkJames

Thanks Grimmy, I'll have a good look as soon as I get a chance!
Old 20-05-12, 07:12 AM   #9
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
You may find that there is lots of corrosion under the top and bottom shims that pinches the pads as described!! I tend to simply remove the lower shim as and the brakes work much better as a result!! They only serve to stop the pads rattling in the caliper anyway but tbh I've never heard them rattle without them !!
Old 20-05-12, 07:39 AM   #10
big_wasa

big_wasa has a spectacular aura aboutbig_wasa has a spectacular aura about
As above I doubt its the caliper itself. It will be the slider pins or sticking pads.
The new bolts that come with the pads just hold the caliper to the carrier on the sliding pins.

If your changing the whole caliper. Then there is a pin with an R clip and a big C clip holding the hand brake cable to the caliper and thats it. The Bracket does not come with a recon caliper so that needs to swaped aswell. Just two bolts.
big_wasa is offline   Reply With Quote