theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 10-03-13, 09:16 AM   #11
carmadbaker

carmadbaker has a spectacular aura aboutcarmadbaker has a spectacular aura about
quality idea mate, like it!

-MK1 MG ZS T16 Turbo 2.1
-Lotus Elise S2 111

You Can't Spell Dangerous Without "Dan"
carmadbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 11:24 AM   #12
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Mk1 won't be as easy to make fool proof as you'll have to move the dials which will mean altering the cables possibly. Also on the mk1 the dials are not on the consol but a seperate panel mounted behind it.
Just measured the area above the heater dials - it is 9" wide and 4.5" high.
If you lose the clock and relocate the hazard and HRW switches to the 2 blacks that are for the heated seat switchs you could use the space, should look very O/E.
Old 10-03-13, 02:04 PM   #13
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Custom Console for sale.... gauging interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevG View Post
Blair, Good idea, but you will need to make the whole thing totally idiot proof.
Yer and then some!!!

Its a great idea but speaking from experience, with vis kits, may well become the baine of your life!

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you.

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 04:04 PM   #14
KevG
2007 Focus ST2

KevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really niceKevG is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-ZS+ View Post
Yer and then some!!!

Its a great idea but speaking from experience, with vis kits, may well become the baine of your life!

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you.
Seconded on that one.

KevG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 06:03 PM   #15
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Right, few points to clear up....

Quote:
Would you supply the console and allow the customer to fit their own tablet?
Console without tablet....possible but there will be issues regarding buttons. Most tablets have a lock button (at least) on the side which needs to be used to unlock the tablet. I plan to install a switch and a solenoid to activate this button as there would be no other access. If you chose the tablet and I ordered it, then fine, I could do that but I couldn't supply the console without having the tablet in my possession without there being extra work needed. Also the screen size, although similar, vary depending on each 7" tablet.

Quote:
Also would you want their old (now not required) console as a kind of trade in?
This is definately something I thought of and if postage cost was minimal, then yes, I would be interested in discount refund on receiving it.

Quote:
People must learn to be patient with something such as this as you are doing this as a hobby as such
Yup, whole-heartedly agree. 3 weeks would be a rough turnaround but things happen. A full refund would be available if it exceeded 6 weeks and updates on progress would be evident on this very site in the 'build' section.

Quote:
Don't forget the shipping costs and packaging as although light it will be big.
As this is a gauging interest, my price is rough (but most likely feasible, bear in mind I have bought the parts for my own project) but I did take in to consideration the p&p.

Quote:
Just measured the area above the heater dials - it is 9" wide and 4.5" high.
If you lose the clock and relocate the hazard and HRW switches to the 2 blacks that are for the heated seat switchs you could use the space, should look very O/E
Wont need to lose the clock, it has been done before, just couldn't remember if it was a mk1 but the pic below confirms there is space to keep everything else standard. The cables controlled by the dials are only moved inches and this guy has it functioning so that's what I'd be going with. Luckily I have a spare mk1 and mk2 console to play with

This is not what mine would look like, it shows the screen location though. The stereo would be at the lowest point.

Quote:

Personally I wouldn't give people too may options as will make things so complicated for you
I won't be doing these in the volume you did the VIS kits so hopefully less pressure.
There aren't going to be too many options, I would just need to know which tablet to buy first (I will supply a list of suitable bargain and quality options). Other than that, all the listed options will be available for all. If there is something specific, I will advise with that person if it is viable and at what extra cost. It won't be a production line, this is a custom project.

As a foot note. I know there will be reservations on the product, it's quality and whether I can achieve the outcome. I made the basics of my car pc (ie the console section) very quickly and it was only complicated due to the whole thing being custom. This won't be the case with this set up.

Also, if you don't know me, have faith. I always put my best in to things which is why the Forza Championship has completed it's 6th season and the site track car project is about to go in to it's second year. I also wouldn't sell something I wouldn't put in my own car...and I'm fussy about that!

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 06:40 PM   #16
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Lost me completly, but I have the faith and know you wouldnt commit to something that wouldnt be supplied by you, 100% correct.

Best of luck with it and hope you get some uptake.

Old 10-03-13, 07:45 PM   #17
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
IIRC that mk1 pictured above was a carputer that used a laptop under the passanger seat so didn't need a headunit for audio functions, a tablet would be a much neater solution.

Some phones have an unlock using 2 on screen buttons as an alternative to the lock button on the side.
Old 10-03-13, 07:51 PM   #18
Smokey
The Alan Gow of OBTCC

Smokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to beholdSmokey is a splendid one to behold
Yup, most phones have a button on it's face, so does the ipad mini. Most budget ones don't though hence I would have to locate a suitable button.

The one pictured is indeed a carPC built in much the same way as my current set up. And in full agreement, tablets are a much better option due to it being all in one. Sadly at time of my project, prices were still a touch high. As the tablet market has boomed, so too have prices dropped, hence why it's more viable.

Defo singing from the same hym sheet here mate.

2009 Forza 2 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC 2nd Place Runner-up
2009/2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Clio Cup 4th Place
2010 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/F500 Cup 2nd Place Runner-up
2011 Forza 3 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 3rd Place
2012 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/Driver's Championship 1st Place Winner
2012/2013 Forza 4 theMGZS.co.uk OBTCC/DTM Championship 3rd Place
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 09:10 PM   #19
BUCKYDEVIL

BUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud ofBUCKYDEVIL has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=peterzs;299524]Lost me completly, but I have the faith and know you wouldnt commit to something that wouldnt be supplied by you, 100% correct.

Best of luck with it and hope you get some uptake.

I concur..
BUCKYDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-13, 05:58 AM   #20
Malteser

Malteser is on a distinguished road
I would be interested to see a Mk1 centre console mockup...I've thought of doing it to mine for a while but have other stuff to do to the car first.
Malteser is offline   Reply With Quote