AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 14-06-14, 06:27 PM   #31
easytime

easytime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred68 View Post
Pretty much anything that is bolted to the exhaust or inlet ports of an engine will loose torque.
A correctly designed manifold will or can cause a vacuum in the exhaust port. This vacuum will draw extra air into the cylinder via inlet valve. This does add torque over and above that, that is generated by open ports.
This extraction only works for a set design of manifold. Any other type of compromised designed does in fact loose torque, when compared to open ports.
The JS manifold is much better in terms of flow over the standard manifold. This is why there is a torque gain.
It's not the last word in extraction manifolds for the KV6 though.
Right ok, so I should have a net improvement over the MGR units with my JS manis?
easytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 06:30 PM   #32
easytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post
heres a very bad quality vid of the sound of my zs with janspeeds. http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/ia...250d5.mp4.html

all i have is a induction kit and janspeeds (not been remapped and is on standard cams) and its rolling roaded at 175bhp @ the wheels (190-210bhp at fly depending on how its guessed ;-) ), which is not a bad amount of power
I have an iTg, JS manis and cat back system twin exit, would love to know how much that makes. I did have a decat but she felt really flat with it so the cat went back on.
Old 14-06-14, 09:16 PM   #33
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by easytime View Post
Right ok, so I should have a net improvement over the MGR units with my JS manis?
Definately
Old 14-06-14, 09:25 PM   #34
Lukeus101

Lukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to allLukeus101 is a name known to all
Id love to see what the full janspeed on ours has done

ZS Appreciation Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/475756782447499/

> ZR 105 (Broken) > MK2 ZS 180 (Sold) > MK1 ZS 180 (Sold) > ZR Replica (Dead) > MK1 ZS 180 (Broken)
Lukeus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-14, 11:56 PM   #35
easytime

I saw a plot for iTg and cat back at 196Bhp, so I will guess at 205 with manifolds too.
Old 15-06-14, 03:57 PM   #36
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Mine, with manifolds, sports cat and stainless catback has consistently made around 203bhp. What the manifolds seemed to add to on this car is the torque and I would need to pull out the last RR printout to see what it ended up at.
Old 15-06-14, 04:38 PM   #37
easytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Mine, with manifolds, sports cat and stainless catback has consistently made around 203bhp. What the manifolds seemed to add to on this car is the torque and I would need to pull out the last RR printout to see what it ended up at.
Sooo, not a bad guess then, There are 2 mods where I could feel the difference. The first was the iTg Maxogen, that really made a huge difference, they claim 12-14 gain and I fully believe that, the second was the manifolds but have no numbers for that. They say you cant feel anything less than 5% gain so with the iTg thats at least 9.6bhp. Total that and you are a hairs width away from 203.
Old 15-06-14, 09:03 PM   #38
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
Aye very close forgot to say it is a Bmc-CDA I have for induction
Old 16-06-14, 03:08 PM   #39
Fred68

Fred68 has a spectacular aura aboutFred68 has a spectacular aura about
A good cold air feed is so important. The KV6 seems really sensitive to it. The number of 180's that I've seen with a small cone filter slapped onto the standard intake pipe is untrue. I wonder how the owners don't notice the lack of gain.
I did an experiment with my V6 Freelander last year.
The standard filter housing is dreadful as it sits on top of the engine. This causes it to warm the intake charge considerably, I've recorded 55°C!! I thought I'd try a large cone filter instead.
Not wanting to waste dyno time, I just rode my own dyno (the car).
I did a few 1/4 mile runs with both filters fitted.
The result was pretty much what I expected.
No difference between the two. Both filters give the same times.
I'm currently working on a nice cold are feed for my KV6 engine as they are proved to work well.

Last edited by Fred68; 16-06-14 at 03:12 PM.
Fred68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-14, 03:55 PM   #40
easytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred68 View Post
A good cold air feed is so important. The KV6 seems really sensitive to it. The number of 180's that I've seen with a small cone filter slapped onto the standard intake pipe is untrue. I wonder how the owners don't notice the lack of gain.
I did an experiment with my V6 Freelander last year.
The standard filter housing is dreadful as it sits on top of the engine. This causes it to warm the intake charge considerably, I've recorded 55°C!! I thought I'd try a large cone filter instead.
Not wanting to waste dyno time, I just rode my own dyno (the car).
I did a few 1/4 mile runs with both filters fitted.
The result was pretty much what I expected.
No difference between the two. Both filters give the same times.
I'm currently working on a nice cold are feed for my KV6 engine as they are proved to work well.
Years ago I stuck a K&N cone right onto the TB with Duck tape, took her out and was blown away with the noise, it was sweet. What caused me to subsequently rip the cone off was the total loss, yes loss of power. I was amazed after that to see people blowing hard about open cones in 180's, you really need to be brain dead not to notice the missing 40BHP with a cone. In-fact you deserve a cone if you like a cone.