theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 08-09-11, 05:21 PM   #1
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
My ZS 180

I've joined the 180 club

I met up with Kai a couple weeks back and sealed the deal. Been away on holidays though so held off posting til I had a something worth saying. The car is, as the frenchies would say, mag-ni-fique! Goes like stink, amazing deep, throaty sound from the V6 and exhaust and immaculate inside and out. Kai has really done a good job looking after it.

No big mods planned, first thing is getting it certified here. Some mods may even have to go. I reckon the decat, hids and the tinted rear lights won't fly unfortunately, but will see what happens..

Planned:
- Empty catch tank
- Mist jets + better washer pump
- Fix rear bumper sag
I'm an electronics man so
- VIS indicators
- Sound system from the other ZS
- 12v socket in boot for ice-box & 240v in the cabin.
Eventually, would love cruise control, but the parts look tough to get.

Here's the interesting thing, I've already done a couple of long distance trips and if not driving like a tool, it's getting roughly the same distance out of a tank (340 miles = 32mpg) as the 1.4 (550km). Perhaps because the 1.4 needs to be pushed to 4200rpm to roll at 130kph. The 180 chews the motorway way more comfortably. I expect the comparison in city/traffic will be less palatable!

Here's the fleet. The 1.4 is insured until end Decemeber. I have a couple of things to fix on it, then will sell it on.

Last edited by pheelay; 28-09-11 at 04:59 PM.
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 06:06 PM   #2
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Good to see it has gone to a good home.

I am working on a cruise control using parts mostly sourced from a ZT/Rover 75, there may even be a how to when I'm done, when I have proved it works.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 06:53 PM   #3
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
Good to see it has gone to a good home.

I am working on a cruise control using parts mostly sourced from a ZT/Rover 75, there may even be a how to when I'm done, when I have proved it works.
Was hoping for a response like that! Definitely interested to know how it goes so keep us posted..
Old 08-09-11, 06:57 PM   #4
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Looking good .... Glad it's gone to a member on here.
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 07:08 PM   #5
pheelay

Catch tank emptied and cleaned. A lot of gunk came out, good to know its doing its job!

Old 08-09-11, 07:09 PM   #6
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheelay View Post
Catch tank emptied and cleaned. A lot of gunk came out, good to know its doing its job!

If ever there was a picture to tell people that they need to fit one - that is it !
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 07:16 PM   #7
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
interesting tank that. can you throw up a pic of it in situe. also, check none of your breathers are blocked before you put it back together. i had a blocked [squashed] silicon hose and my tank filled up with a condensation and oil mixture.

oh yeah, great looking 180 btw.

Last edited by MG ZS STE; 08-09-11 at 07:19 PM. Reason: none of yer god damn business that why!
MG ZS STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 07:18 PM   #8
pheelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
If ever there was a picture to tell people that they need to fit one - that is it !
lol. True! And it was fitted, I believe at around 28k so that's only 5000 miles worth
Old 08-09-11, 07:30 PM   #9
pheelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
interesting tank that. can you throw up a pic of it in situe. also, check none of your breathers are blocked before you put it back together. i had a blocked [squashed] silicon hose and my tank filled up with a condensation and oil mixture.

Pictures from a previous owner:

I found the site where it was purchased earlier today: clicky

The 2 ports on the side are for a transparent hose. Allows the level to be checked in situe. It was solid black with oil which prompted me to check it. Here it is with new hose:

I must check the breather hose as you suggest. There was already some mayo on the breather outlet. One thing that concerned me, the breather hose is piped down to engine tray level. Very low. Any risk there with water or in floods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
oh yeah, great looking 180 btw.
Cheers!
Old 08-09-11, 07:31 PM   #10
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheelay View Post
lol. True! And it was fitted, I believe at around 28k so that's only 5000 miles worth
thats never right. i'de imagine a tank to catch that much oil over a life time. this was the contents of mine after about 6K and like i say it was mostly condensation caused by the breather being crimped under the engine cover.

Last edited by MG ZS STE; 08-09-11 at 07:33 PM.
MG ZS STE is offline   Reply With Quote