theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 24-01-12, 07:53 PM   #31
Drew

Drew has a spectacular aura aboutDrew has a spectacular aura about
got myself a DTA S80. will be wiring it in soon as im now pretty much finished with the suspension and other extra's.

never really liked the idea of the piggyback on the charger so wanted to change that for full control aftermarket ecu.

while the charger was at sprintex i asked if they had a drawing of the pulley so i could make a smaller one for a little more boost. when i got the charger back they had sent another pulley in the box! bonus.

hopefully see 5/6psi and better fuel/ignition control with the dta on there.

Drew
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 07:54 PM   #32
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
That was the reason I was after a dummy engine so I could mock up something. I miss being 'hands on' but have access to machine shops and as I use 3D software all day I can sneak the odd home project in

Enjoying the thread Drew, projects that I find interesting and would do myself if I had the money and space. Used to do alot of this years ago when I had a workshop and machine tools.
Old 24-01-12, 07:59 PM   #33
Drew

started looking at why the cams didnt give me any more power, got my dti's out, pipers std timing marks (although they told me they were pretty accurate) were infact miles out.

as piper dont have any verniers and were not interested in making some more, i modded a set of std pulley into verniers. give me about 8dgr movement, was enough for what i needed.

set about timing them into the correct figures at tdc. couldnt actually get pipers recommended figures of 2.23in, 1.98exh at tdc as the pistons were touching the valves.
called piper to see if they could give me some other timing figures....less than helpful tbh.

ended up with 2.0in, 1.8exh. hopefully give me the extra i was looking for.

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 08:01 PM   #34
theboynoz

theboynoz is on a distinguished road
Awesome! If only i had the money.....

Think i will just stick to replacing the suspension parts with OEM stuff!

Drives:
ZS MK2 - XPG 120+, Climate Control, Leather/Alcantara, standard so long as you ignore the backbox, and brilliant fun to drive!
Mondeo MK3 LX - Silver, family runabout, 1.8 16v, standard, does the job!

theboynoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 08:01 PM   #35
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
That was the reason I was after a dummy engine so I could mock up something. I miss being 'hands on' but have access to machine shops and as I use 3D software all day I can sneak the odd home project in

Enjoying the thread Drew, projects that I find interesting and would do myself if I had the money and space. Used to do alot of this years ago when I had a workshop and machine tools.
yeah thats the engine from the bubble! has come in handy for a lot of measurements, lots of looking at it! the g/f thinks im mental

still got more for tomorrow!

Drew
Old 24-01-12, 08:12 PM   #36
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
top thread . top work.
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 08:40 PM   #37
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
indeed this is some top modifications you are doing there its all go
cams, charger, throttle bodys and major chassis devolpment.

May speak with you ref some bits
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-12, 09:09 PM   #38
Quadcam24

Quadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the roughQuadcam24 is a jewel in the rough
one thing i wanted to do was uprate the rarb, standard one is quite weak imo when it comes to track, and the standard car is deffinitely biased towards understeer.
My car still leaned a lot under high load, having said that the rear was always planted unless i provoked it, and i liked the confidence that gave me knowing it would never suddenly snap out, also feeling it move around lets you know easily what the cars doing.
It was top of my to do list though to try to make the car more neutral on the limit, as it was still understeer first and that just kills lap times.

What is your goal drew, where is it going ?, is it going to be a track car or a wolf in sheeps clothing road car ?....if you can call a mk2 bodykit sheeps clothing, lmao!
Quadcam24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-12, 05:31 AM   #39
Drew

thank you. ive been thinking/collecting/doing! for a few years just getting time to actually fit and finish takes me longer than i would want.

think ill be fitting and running the TB's first, then the charger on after. means i can go back easily to the TB's when/if i sell the charger.

rear arb is a good mod, takes away the long chassis brackets that on the 220's seem to fail. maybe just age/wear that does it so could be hitting the zs's soon.

Drew
Old 25-01-12, 07:24 PM   #40
Drew

after getting started with the rest of the bolt on mods i was looking for the next level of tuning.
headwork is an option, if i sell the charger i hope to have enough to pay for it!

"there aint no replacement for displacement"

looked into the Kia sedona hoping to find some parts that i could use but didnt really find anything of use, so i thought id do it myself.

KV6 is just a pair of 3 cylinder K4's. so i got myself some 82mm liners..

82's on the left..

82's on the right..

set about fitting them to the v6 block..

with those and a std crank it would give me 2624cc (up 127cc) not bad increase, the K4's seem to do well on +100.

but i thought i could do better?! so i stroked the crank to 87.8mm (from 82.8)
i dont have a pic, it still looks like a std crank

87.8 crank and 82 bore gives me 2782cc

needed to fill the rest of the parts in, so got myself some forged rods..

and some high comp forged pistons..

sold my lightweight steel flywheel to get another lightwheight steel flywheel!!
the new one has 220 turbo clutch fittings (the clutch cover dowels are smaller and in slightly different place.) and im going to get myself a kevlar clutch to go with it.

im making an aluminium bottom pully to replace the steel one.

with that ill be ready to balance it all and start building the bottom end up

Drew