theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 23-04-15, 11:29 PM   #1
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
MG TF XPG Summer project

All that sun at PoL last weekend has gone to my head! After watching the F/TF owners enjoying their road rays, this evening I dived in and picked up a bargain project for the summer

'04 TF 135, 97000 miles

It was previous owner's daily driver and running very well mechanically, just some cosmetic stuff to sort out. Thinking of keeping it for few months, spruce it up over the summer and if I like it, maybe trade up to a decent TF160 from other side of the pond

Already some things to do:
* Fluids/filters change + Coolant flush, clean out and back to nice fresh OAT
* Couple of dents to remove
* Nasty patch of rust on offside front wing
* Some very small areas of rust
* Sticky accelerator
* Replace/repair drivers door lock which makes a nasty grinding noise
* Fix broken heat control knob
* Get out on the road and enjoy some sun!

After an amazingly sunny week here, I think I've jinxed it

On the positive side, I guess I'll know soon if the roof leaks
Old 24-04-15, 06:17 AM   #2
potter690

potter690 is on a distinguished road
Woo hoo, another grey drop top joins the ranks! Not that I'm biased in any way.

Does look smart, the facelift's intakes and wheels do make them look super classy.

I bought mine just as a summer runaround, but it's got under my skin (quite literally with all of the dirt) and she's now a long term project.

What do you think of the drop top then to drive? I find mine so low that it's just like driving a go kart. :lol:

Make sure you wear plenty of sunblock or a hat, there's a lot of sunburnt soft top owners, myself included! Get up some more pics too...
potter690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 07:08 AM   #3
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Yea a hat is a must! I find the sun blinds me when driving, my head seems to be above the frame! A wind deflector is a must, stop the buffeting at speed. Looks good that one, Mike Satur does some nice accessories.
Old 24-04-15, 08:25 AM   #4
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Ahh, Mick, what have you done! Just had a look through Mike Satur catalogue. List a mile long now of wants!!

Yep,same, something to run for the summer and give the ZS some time off. Lovin the go kart feel. Feels epically low to the ground, good bit of go in her, rear end sticks when pushed. It's just a bit of a dog around town because of the sticky throttle. Gently, gently, nothing, a bit more and BOOM! revs are up to 3k.

So, first order of business, just ordered a new throttle cable. £50 from eBay.

Last edited by pheelay; 24-04-15 at 09:18 AM.
pheelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 09:34 AM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
that website is a killer on the wallet! Good job the wife isn't into too much bling or I would be a lot poorer. However she does want a set of those nice polished roll hoops.
Old 24-04-15, 09:57 AM   #6
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Cant wait to see the finished car.

Are fun, but love my derv ZS more.

Old 24-04-15, 12:24 PM   #7
MG ZS STE
Site Supporter

MG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really niceMG ZS STE is just really nice
looks a good little project. Often toyed with a getting a TF as a second car but heard they can be money pits so been put off.
Old 24-04-15, 02:42 PM   #8
potter690

potter690 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
looks a good little project. Often toyed with a getting a TF as a second car but heard they can be money pits so been put off.
I suppose the expense comes from what you might expect from any car in terms of repairs or accessories. But it's strictly a 2nd car because of its impracticality. Unless of course you only need one carrier bag of shopping per week!
potter690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-15, 03:29 PM   #9
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Surprising how much you can get in the boot, then there are the footwells.

Not much room in the front less you leave the spare at home!!!
Old 24-04-15, 05:58 PM   #10
pheelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG ZS STE View Post
hmm, really? I dont see how. I cant imagine they could be any more expensive to keep on the road than any other similar aged roadster, especially if going DIY route where possible. Time will tell I guess!

Definitely a second car. Sometimes need the big ZS boot!