theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 21-08-10, 04:32 PM   #31
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
Update: 08/10

So spend the day overhauling my brakes. There must be something about me, rain and 4 pots, as Dave will remember last time I worked with 4 pots it poured and the two of us ended up like drowned rats

After I helped a mate replace an exhaust that fell off his gfs car in a nearby tesco carpark, managed to rope a few lads into helping it always helps to have some banter

Ran into a few problems in the process. The first bolt I touched on the rear calipers was seized after some brute force I managed to loosen it but at the cost of loosing all the skin covering the knuckle of my thumb leaving me looking at bone After a bit of kitchen roll and leccy tape, straped it up and cracked on. It soon went numb after the kitchen roll absorbed the brake fluid!

The next issue was a seized slider pin on the rear carriers, after fighting with it for a while one of the lads jumped on his motorbike and took it to a local garage. Where the oxy acetylene torch made light work of it! We greased them up and replaced all the seal fitted new pads and that was the rear done.

Then attacked the fronts, they took alittle trial and error to get then fit just right. Had to space the disc and calipers out with shims to make sure the caliper sat centrally on the disc. However once we had this right it was a straight forward fit. Flushed the system through with some 5.1 and bled it. Rebled it yesterday and got alittle more air out the system. They need to bed in abit but feel as if they will be awsome getting better with every time I use them.

The green goes well with the XPG and the sunstrip

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Jay-ZS+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-10, 04:41 PM   #32
Nor

Nor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the roughNor is a jewel in the rough
Looks great Jay
Old 21-08-10, 05:11 PM   #33
petet16
Technical Expert R.I.P.

petet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to beholdpetet16 is a splendid one to behold
Looking very nice Jay.

I left my Brembos in stealth black lol.

But they will bed in after a while, I think I bled mine 3 times in total with a vacuum bleeder, did you have any problem with getting a fluid tight seal on the banjo bolts, I ended up using Dowty seals instead of the crush washers as I just couldn't get it to seal.

I pity you working outside in this weather, shows grit and determination

Did you bin the heat shields, I found there was no way of getting enough clearance to keep them, I also found that with lowered suspension the lower ball joint can foul on the disc, I used some 17mm AF nuts to try and cure it, but it still touched when the springs compressed during cornering, in the end I went back to the standard ride height.

R.I.P. Peter David Scott 18.07.59 to 21.11.16
Will be missed by us all but we will always remember you.

Last edited by petet16; 21-08-10 at 05:15 PM.
petet16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-10, 05:25 PM   #34
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Jay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of lightJay-ZS+ is a glorious beacon of light
At the mo theres STD suspension fitted so didn't have that problem, I've also got no heat shield as that was removed for the willwoods to fit. I picked up a bleeding kit with one way valve of fleebay for about ?3 and that worked brilliantly allowed me to do it alone yesterday. Gonna leave them a week to bed in and bleed again over the bank holiday

Did notice my wheels rub slightly when cornering hard now but nothing major.

2012 BMW 320d Sport

Last edited by Jay-ZS+; 07-09-10 at 01:44 PM.
Old 21-08-10, 05:53 PM   #35
Marky Mark

Marky Mark is on a distinguished road
Smile

Looking very nice there Jay, good work and a nice colour too!

Gonna take a look at my brakes over the bank holiday, I think I have had a similar experience as you with a noise that sounds like the bearing gone, but I am convinced it's linked with the brakes.
Marky Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-10, 05:59 PM   #36
Dave MGT

Dave MGT is on a distinguished road
They look cracking Jay!! nice mod.

Shame about the rain again!!! lol
Dave MGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-10, 06:05 PM   #37
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Well done Jay, worth the fight.

Another tick in the box.

Old 21-08-10, 06:31 PM   #38
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave MGT View Post
They look cracking Jay!! nice mod.

Shame about the rain again!!! lol
Lol yer wasn't nearly as bad as when we took the wilwoods off that was stupidly wet

2012 BMW 320d Sport
Old 21-08-10, 07:22 PM   #39
Supercharged_Z
KV6 Supercharged

Supercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really niceSupercharged_Z is just really nice
im glad you went for the brembo setup.

looks good

Last edited by Supercharged_Z; 23-08-10 at 10:58 AM.
Supercharged_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-10, 07:31 PM   #40
Jay-ZS+
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged_Z View Post
im glad you went for the brembo setup.

i have learnt the hardway that wilwoods are utter tosh!!! poorly built, built cheaply, and the quality is nowhere the same as hi spec let alone brembo etc!!

selling them now lol

looks good
Lol may want to edit your post if trying to sell them!! The brembos certainly seem well made and it's a great kit the RT lads have put together. Yet to get the best out of them but they feel as if they will be great

2012 BMW 320d Sport