theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-06-12, 11:18 PM   #1
KirkJames

KirkJames will become famous soon enough
Fast ticking!

I have the VIS indicator kit in my car and they are operating at the right times etc but I noticed today that when kick in there is a fast ticking noise that increases in speed the faster I go. I assumed that this was the manifold as it does tick quite loud when you first start her up then quietens a little when warmed.
Have I been assuming wrong as they definitely work in terms of kicking in power at 3k and app' 4.5k. Could these be the cause of all the ticking??
KirkJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 11:37 PM   #2
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Does the tick come from the vis end of the plenum or the throttle body side.if its the throttle body side its the purge valve and it is a normal noise and does stop on occasion have heard about some being very loud and some being pretty quiet.
Old 04-06-12, 01:35 AM   #3
KirkJames

Not the purge valve, I can hear that as a separate sound. I get a rattling when cold from the manifold area which seems to quieten down when warmer but it's still there and increases with revs, but I am noticing a louder fast ticking when the green lights are on/vis working (from vis indicator) so I am thinking that it may well be them.

I am going to shove some wynns stuff in to see if that quietens things when cold, which I think is either the manifold or noisy tappets, but I think the fast ticking under acceleration is vis related.
Old 04-06-12, 10:21 AM   #4
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Mines was doing a ticking when cold from that area as well,changed the oils and the ticking dissapeared so its worth a bash.
Old 04-06-12, 02:30 PM   #5
KirkJames

Yeah I may well give it a go when I get back from holiday buddy. It had an oil change about 10k ago but I don't know how long ago last change was, so it's worth a bash!

Now just got to find a how 2 to do the fuel filter change