AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 07-03-17, 12:12 AM   #101
Big-Jay

Big-Jay has a spectacular aura aboutBig-Jay has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
Very interesting seeing the oil cooler stripped down, not seen that before. I personally like the red on red, think the seats will go nicely.
Are you replacing the hoses on the oil cooler? they went on the first track zs on here iirc and ended up with a seized engine.
Ive never stripped an oil cooler down before this one so wasn't quite sure what to expect myself. Strange looking bit of kit !

My thinking exactly concerning the seats, will see how it goes.

The rubber pipes are in good condition but the metal tubes are a bit crusty. I may give those a wire brush and see what they're like, haven't had a look for replacements so I'm unsure whether you can buy them of not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
I like the red ones, I have red Alcantara* buckets in my maestro (although they have faded quite a bit), I also like the gun smoke, have it in the ZS and the F (although I'd like green in the F) and I like the blue we have in the ZR.
Sounds like you have a nice collection of Alcantara's there !

I've seen plenty of Alcanatara sets for the ZT's and F/TF's and they're a reasonable amount of money, the ZS sets on the other hand seem to be well overpriced in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie007 View Post
Looking good Jay
Cheers Matt.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 07-03-17 at 02:02 PM.
Big-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 11:57 AM   #102
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
looking good - I'm not a big fan of red on interiors (put me off the BRM entirely) but I think those Alcantara's would look lovely in yours once it is done - just the right balance of red to more sober colours..

Your attention to detail is incredible.... will love to see the finished article once you're done!
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 12:40 PM   #103
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
looking good - I'm not a big fan of red on interiors (put me off the BRM entirely) but I think those Alcantara's would look lovely in yours once it is done - just the right balance of red to more sober colours..

Your attention to detail is incredible.... will love to see the finished article once you're done!
Pete, you of all people should know they are never done
Old 07-03-17, 08:25 PM   #104
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post

Cheers chap,

Looking forward to finishing off the underside so I can start concentrating on getting the engine sorted, can't wait to fire it up with the Janspeed bits attached !
Old 07-03-17, 08:33 PM   #105
pheelay

pheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the roughpheelay is a jewel in the rough
Following this thread with great interest!

Are you using rattle cans for priming and coats? Your paint supplier must be a happy man? I'm doing a bit of renovation work as well but find I don't get much coverage out of the aerosols.
Old 07-03-17, 09:18 PM   #106
Big-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheelay View Post
Following this thread with great interest!

Are you using rattle cans for priming and coats? Your paint supplier must be a happy man? I'm doing a bit of renovation work as well but find I don't get much coverage out of the aerosols.
Hi bud,

I'm using aerosols for the underneath, I find if you bulk buy you save quite alot. I've had all the aerosol paint I need sitting in the garage for a while now ready for when I need to use it. I think aerosols are fine for underneath as I'm not particularly worried about the finish, just as long as it's rust proof and tidy im happy. Nice even thin coats and you should be fine, got the whole N/S underarch top coat done with one 500ml aerosol of Firefrost if that gives you an idea on coverage.

I have a compressor and I'm slowly stocking up on the bits I'll need for when I paint the body panels, mixing pots, mixing sticks, tack rags, different coarse's of sand paper etc...

I popped in to jewal paints last weekend to get some advice on bits I'll be needing and the guy was very knowledgeable, printed me out a list of bits ill need and I've got my order of paint, primer, lacquer, thinners and hardner on stand by. For a litre of quality CEV Firefrost is almost £80 so if you look at it like that the aerosols arnt bad value for money.

I've bought a quality paint gun, quality air lines and moisture trap/air filter from SGS so I should be sorted on that front. This is where I want the paint to look really good so I don't mind spending that bit more to make sure of it.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 07-03-17 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 11:32 AM   #107
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
Pete, you of all people should know they are never done
Well quite - but there are levels of done and finished entirely lmao...

If/when the turbo swap is done on mine, then there is only really progressive springs to consider..... changed pretty much everything else already

Or full strip and track prep LMFAO
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-17, 08:20 PM   #108
Big-Jay

Ok guys, here's what I've got done over the last few weeks.

Seam sealed where necessary -

Left that to go off for 24h and then Gravigard stone chipped the underside -

I had a small issue with some light cracking appearing in the Gravigard which is probably down to the length of time I left the underside in the primer stage before applying the stonechip. Was probably around 2 weeks. In my experience the quicker you can get the stone chip on after primer the better as it provides a better key for it to stick.

Left that to go off for a few hours and then I started to apply some Firefrost top coat -

Unfortunately I ran out of paint at this point. Thought I had more than enough to complete this job but obviously not ! Will get some ordered and finish this off. Then it's just the lacquer and clear wax and the underside will be finished.

Got my drivers side seat covers back from the upholsterers and decided to get my de-bobbler machine out as the Alcantara was starting to look its age. This is the machine -

And here's all the bobbles and excess material that it removed from the seats -

Brilliant machine and would recommend to anyone looking to freshen up their alcantara seats !

Here's the seat after the repairs, a steam clean and a de-bobble -

No more saggy seat base -

Ive done all the seats but didn't fancy lugging them all downstairs into the yard to take a decent picture today. Will do so a later date though !

I traveled over to Norwich to pick this Janspeed Duplex system up -

And went to work on polishing it up on the bench grinder, here's the smaller back box -

And the larger one -

I lost the X-Power branding on the end of the tail pipes but I couldn't of done the job properly without doing so unfortunately. One of those things I guess.

I now have the complete Janspeed system front to back. Has cost quite a bit and have travelled half way around the country but will all be worth it when it's bolted onto the car -

Have the centre pipe and y piece still to do but that will be for another day.

Finally, I bought the sliding arm rest from a Jaguar X-Type which I'm going to retro fit into the ZS. It's a far superior item compared to the standard ZS arm rest -

I do believe it's all in the details so this should be a nice edition to the car.

Anyway, I'm off down the coast tomorrow for the rest of the week for a break so won't be working on the car until Sunday.

Hope you all enjoyed the bank holiday and also POL if you attended, I did and was great to see plenty of ZS's there !

Jay.

Last edited by Big-Jay; 17-04-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 18-04-17, 07:21 AM   #109
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Dan1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-17, 05:31 PM   #110
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
As always, looking great.
That de-bobbler looks fancy compared to mine (bag of 10 bic razors!)