theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Old 01-02-11, 01:38 PM   #121
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Have a group booking at Reidys, might knock a bit off.

Have to let us know what timescale you are looking at Pete.

Old 01-02-11, 01:46 PM   #122
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
sounds like a good idea
Old 02-02-11, 08:58 AM   #123
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
hmm timescale really is car dependant... next few months is ideally the plan...would have to be a saturday... i will pop a seperate possible interest thread up
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 09:13 AM   #124
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Gives me time to sort the SDi's out!!!

Old 21-02-11, 04:37 PM   #125
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Well i have got some good and bad news after picking the car up today....

lets start with the bad shall wel... my fuel pump is poorly. getting a slightly metallic bearing noise from it, and it has put the light on again after it was cleared.

Day to day it is no issue until one day it will just die on me. So new pump or reconditioned one or scrapyard one is needed soonish... this will be anything from ?750-150 depending on what i can get my hands on.

The next bad news is that the prototype pressure relief system failed on friday after about 500miles fitted. It turns out that central heating pipework is not man enough for the temps of sustained exhaust gas flow... (it melted it) then as the copper pipe all gave up it pointed the vent at a nice cooant T piece and melted that in the process....

Oh and the noise of un silenced engine from just a tiny section of pipework was immense, so a proper solution is needed that plumb it back into the exhaust properly...

the good news is that we know know what sized hole is needed, and we need to utilize an external wastegate to achieve the desired result as the simple approach either is not effective enough, or is too effective.... got to love manual twist values

car will be coming to the meet, but it wont be finished so no runs i am afraid as the 50% throttle limit is still in place
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports
Old 21-02-11, 04:54 PM   #126
lawrence-zs180

lawrence-zs180 is on a distinguished road
she really isnt making it easy for you is she...
Will be good to see you and the poorly girl at the meet though.
Old 21-02-11, 11:33 PM   #127
peterzs
promoted bloke!

Smile

Sorry to hear latest set back, but at least you can move on and fabricate the right bits now.

How did it go before the new pipework for the wastegate gave up??
Old 24-02-11, 09:26 PM   #128
skyblueads

skyblueads is on a distinguished road
Wow, Pete. More interesting developments, seems we need to get together for another chat and now the better weather is coming, a photo shoot.

Drop me an email when you're a bit more sorted.

1973 MG BGT
2005 MG ZS 120+
skyblueads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-11, 09:43 PM   #129
Ritchy
technically an expertish

Ritchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to allRitchy is a name known to all
love the determination put into this car, really respect matts work to make this work the way you want it
Old 27-02-11, 05:36 PM   #130
p_b82
Site Supporter

Right well to answer a few of the questions; i never got to drive it while it was in the deve phase, it wait the Friday before i picked it up on the Monday!

But Matt thought it went better when the boost was able to be sustained, but it was a bit too laggy; hence why we now know we need to use a wastegate in order to control the pre high EMP exhuast flow.

the fuel pump situation has been confirmed as pretty terminal, so i have just bought me a reconned unit off fleabay this evening.. a 'bargain' at ?400 delivered with a year warranty on it.

Xpart want best part of ?1k for the same state part, so will try to get my old one repaired, and might keep it spare or sell it to get some money back from it...

Now just need to sit down and do some sums and some estimates as to exactly how to attempt to handle the gas diversion. there is apparently a exhaust based valve that the mitsubishi's use to open&close based on a petrol car for the anti-lag that could well be useful.

Our concern with an external wastegate is that unless the flow is quite limited we are going to get surging (dropping) boost pressure as soon as it opens up....

An additional 20mm is too large and drops the max boost generated to around 13PSI so it is a really fine line as to where we want to limit it....
Dieselpowered
AMW Motorsports