theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 03-09-14, 09:58 AM   #1
dave23572

dave23572 is on a distinguished road
Trackday camera mount for iPhone

Anyone got any recommendations for an iPhone mount that could be used for filming trackday footage?

Obviously has to be strong, not fall off and be steady enough for non-shaky video footage.
dave23572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-14, 11:06 AM   #2
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Unless you make something there is little out there that is allowed for in-car mounting. I made one for the ZS using steel box section and mounted to the headrest pillars. Seemed a good idea at the time but the seat moved too much when on track! Windscreen suction mounts are not allowed for the majority of trackdays so leaves little options really. What mounts are available use the standard camera thread fitting and aren't cheap.
Old 03-09-14, 12:55 PM   #3
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
As a marshal, I see plenty of ideas on how to fit a small camera, or i-phone. Basicallly forget it. They either dont keep still or are deemed not permanent. Non permanent fixings will be removed before you are allowed out. Best to invest in a proper camera and get a proper mount. Ive seen them screwed to the centre vent in the mk1 zeds. Number one rule, if you can take it off quickly then the marshals will tell you NO!!!!!
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-14, 07:47 PM   #4
dave23572

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
As a marshal, I see plenty of ideas on how to fit a small camera, or i-phone. Basicallly forget it. They either dont keep still or are deemed not permanent. Non permanent fixings will be removed before you are allowed out. Best to invest in a proper camera and get a proper mount. Ive seen them screwed to the centre vent in the mk1 zeds. Number one rule, if you can take it off quickly then the marshals will tell you NO!!!!!
Is that you Gordon?
We test drove each others cars a while back.
Or have I got the wrong nickname?
Dave
Old 09-09-14, 01:49 PM   #5
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Yep thats me..........................................
Old 09-09-14, 01:55 PM   #6
dave23572

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona365 View Post
Yep thats me..........................................
Where do you marshall Gordon?
Any of the MSV circuits where they're really strict on camera mounts?

I've basically got until the spring (when I'll do my next trackday) to find a good iphone/camera mount that the MSV marshalls will pass. I don't want to damage the interior though with screw holes etc.

BTW: On the subject of our previous meeting: I've got my ZS mojo back now.
I put an MGF steering wheel on and that has made a difference to the apparent steering response, and also having done a couple of trackdays at Brands Hatch recently (which I really enjoyed and was very impressed with the ZS handling at the limit), has made me appreciate my ZS a lot more.
I've now scrapped my plans to replace it and am now doing some mods.

Dave
Old 09-09-14, 04:59 PM   #7
daytona365

Cool, ive heard the TF wheel can make a difference. I marshal at Brands Hatch, but have great experience of the problems, when the Ferrari Owners club does its track days, some of the road cars have owners with a variety of ways they try to hold the cameras on..............Velcro was one NO. Wrapping it round his crash helmet with sellotape was another NO.............

Glad you got the mojo back, I have done 3 track days in my Zed so far..
Old 09-09-14, 06:09 PM   #8
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
I found the TF wheel didn't suit road use but does in the ZR.
Old 09-09-14, 07:10 PM   #9
dave23572

I'm very pleased with the change to the TF steering wheel, for road and track.

Gordon,
Maybe see you at Brands for a trackday next year?