theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Galleries > Members Cars

Old 18-05-12, 06:31 AM   #11
welshone

welshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nicewelshone is just really nice
Don't forget people he's on 16's so will be different on 17's but does look good
MG ZS 180 Saloon Starlight Silver - 2003 Current

MG ZS TD Saloon XPower Grey 2004 Gone
MG ZS 180 Saloon Trophy Blue 2003 Gone
Rover BRM Gone
welshone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-12, 03:06 PM   #12
MGZS1

MGZS1 is on a distinguished road
Looks really good mate, I'm going to get some as soon as I've sold the avo coilovers off my 25, what splitter do you have on the front bumper ? Looks tidy.
MGZS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-12, 07:16 PM   #13
ZS Phil

ZS Phil has a spectacular aura aboutZS Phil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGZS1 View Post
Looks really good mate, I'm going to get some as soon as I've sold the avo coilovers off my 25, what splitter do you have on the front bumper ? Looks tidy.
Cheers dude, its a skoda fabia splitter. Actually its two joined in the centre because one wasnt quite long enough.
Old 22-05-12, 09:51 AM   #14
DuckFeet

DuckFeet is on a distinguished road
Wow that's low. Whare are you on the scale of max/min height? How is the ride compared to standard?
DuckFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 10:27 AM   #15
p_b82
Site Supporter

p_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the roughp_b82 is a jewel in the rough
Just a quick question - are these units designed for the petrol Civic's?

As i would not have thought they would have designed something for the TD (or KV6 as they use the same suspension setup).

If they are petrol spec - i personally would stay away from them on a derv as the spring rates etc will not be right..... that and i can't lower my car as there are far too many hills and speed bumps where i live and get scraping as it stands now
Dieselpowered
Fitting Custom Hybrid Turbo (1856GTBv) & controller; Remap, swirlpot, lift pump
AMW Motorsports
Custom exhaust manifold & downpipe
p_b82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-12, 11:34 AM   #16
ZS Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFeet View Post
Wow that's low. Whare are you on the scale of max/min height? How is the ride compared to standard?
As said, I raised it slightly since the pics were taken. Even then though there was loads of thread left to go lower, could have pretty much touched the road I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_b82 View Post
Just a quick question - are these units designed for the petrol Civic's?

As i would not have thought they would have designed something for the TD (or KV6 as they use the same suspension setup).

If they are petrol spec - i personally would stay away from them on a derv as the spring rates etc will not be right..... that and i can't lower my car as there are far too many hills and speed bumps where i live and get scraping as it stands now
Yeh they are designed for a petrol civic. From doing a bit of reading the honda engines weigh about 120kg and the l series 150 like a V6.
If you have a freind with you in the passenger seat who weighs 13 stone and yourself who weighs 13 stone (a combined mass of 164 kg) you wouldnt think twice about it so a difference of a few kg over the front end cant make that much difference.
At the end of the day they cost £200, they look good and the car still handles and has an acceptable ride quality so for what I use the car for Im not going to get too hung up about spring rates etc.
Old 22-05-12, 12:06 PM   #17
DuckFeet

Apologies, I spied you made the other thread also. How about at max height? For super-comfy-driving-the-missus-about setting?

And yours is a 180? When I looked at civic stuff before I decided the 1.8 was heavy enough to be comparable to the kv6.

Kudos for trying it, ZSs definitely look better sat a little lower.
Old 22-05-12, 01:59 PM   #18
ZS Phil

Quote:
Apologies, I spied you made the other thread also. How about at max height? For super-comfy-driving-the-missus-about setting?

And yours is a 180? When I looked at civic stuff before I decided the 1.8 was heavy enough to be comparable to the kv6.

Kudos for trying it, ZSs definitely look better sat a little lower.
I would say its going to lower by at least 30-40 mm even if you wind them up. Trouble is you will struggle to fit them until the collars are wound all the way down (even with spring compressors). Then you have to wind the collars back up to get it to a sensible height, to do this you have to take the spring compressors off in order to get the C spanner on the collar. Therefore you are then winding against the spring so plenty of grease on the collar to help it turn. I got to a point on the rears where you really have to lean on the spanner to wind the collar up because of resistance from the spring despite there being plenty of thread left to go higher. For some reason this was more apparent on the right because the collar at a certain point starts to spring back (perhaps because of the direction in which the spring has been wound). You can easily get it so there is a bit of arch gap if you want though.
Regarding driving the missus about, they are more comfy than the motobuild springs which I had on before so I guess similar to standard.
Mine is the diesel but same sort of weight as a v6 due to the iron block.
Cheers for the comments , the ZS deffo pulls off the low look well.
Old 05-07-12, 09:24 AM   #19
DuckFeet

How are you getting on with the kit? Still happy I hope.

I think I'm about to go ahead with it but am worried that my "knots in cotton" muscles won't have the power to wind it high enough. I hope I can get my Mr. Muscle Extender Bar over the spanner.

Does lower = stiffer? Or does it just do it's thing and you choose the height?
Old 11-07-12, 11:15 AM   #20
ZS Phil

Quote:
How are you getting on with the kit? Still happy I hope.

I think I'm about to go ahead with it but am worried that my "knots in cotton" muscles won't have the power to wind it high enough. I hope I can get my Mr. Muscle Extender Bar over the spanner.

Does lower = stiffer? Or does it just do it's thing and you choose the height?

Still all good with it, its been on since the end of September last year so almost a year. Id say the more you raise the car the stiffer it gets because the springs become preloaded before you drop it on the ground. I greased the threads up to try and stop corrosion which has helped. The only complaint I have is the rubber boots have started to crack ever so slightly but for the money Im not bothered.
Im not exactly chuck norris either, more technique than brute fore when adjusting them.