theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 20-10-13, 11:47 AM   #71
sheldore

sheldore is on a distinguished road
I'll add my opinion now, I own two cars a very very modified Vectra Sri C with a lot done to the engine, exhaust and suspension, it'll hold it's own against the ZS in the twisty stuff easily, also it's got all the mod cons and I love it. But and a Big but it's just not the ZS I only drive the zs of a weekend now and I look forward to it and enjoy it, I love the sound of the V6, the handling and Yes the surprise when bigger and much better cars get a surprise.

So I know it's a old car and it's not the best, but when I drive it I feel one with the car, something I miss in the Vectra.
sheldore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-13, 12:04 PM   #72
redzed

redzed has a spectacular aura aboutredzed has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=Mark S;323430]I assume at the fly and calculated?

Any idea what whp it was?

Have seem 145whp equated to 175+fly hp, but in my mind thats just dreaming.

At least with whp there is something slightly comparable

front wheel drives cars should have power looses of about 10-15% through transmission, 145 is more like 170 at flywheel if youre lucky. True though is the only figure that counts is whp. ive seen rollers say 145whp is 190 at the fly! with those power looses through your gearbox it would melt!

still maintain that the zs is an extremely capable track toy and more than a match for any modern hatch on the track driver depending. yes ingear speed isnt as good, yes 0-60 times might be behind on some. But they cost alot more have more power and still done leave the zs for dead. In all the track days ive done i have still never been overtaken by a single hot hatch. yes mine is light and has a few mods (not much; lsd, decat, itg, coilovers) its well looked after and also has no back seats and makes 173 bhp at the wheels. Ive done a back to back test against friends astras, golfs, clios, civics, leons etc, and havent been beaten. Im not making out it can beat a supercars, but it surprises everyone who sits in it and ive had so many comments once ive got back into pit lanes from people in "faster" cars which ive overtaken. I love it, yes it has it downfalls but it isnt slow depending on what your idea of fast is. There is so much to put into the calculations on what is fast and how to compare it to another car, gear ratios, power to weight, transmission looses, torque grafts, driver skill, the tyres it has, the type of track/road youre on. I love it, yes i have rose tinted glasses, but havent been proven wrong on track yet, and even if i did, i would look at the cost and see the other car probably cost 10 times more
Old 20-10-13, 12:08 PM   #73
kev mocko

kev mocko is on a distinguished road
I still really like my zs it must be something keeps bringing me back to them,Im on my fourth 180 now,and like other guys have said on here there's not much you can buy for the money of our zs's that look anywhere near as nice mk1 or mk2 Im think they stand out along side a lot of cars in the same age band,I cant tell what it is but didnt want to part my 2k in the same garage i bought my 180 with a poxy 1.2 54 reg standard fiesta for 2k or the mk2 180?it won hands down And the reason the insiginia pulled away as i found yesterday with steve one of my vis's are down which i didnt know but will soon be fixed
kev mocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-13, 12:10 PM   #74
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev mocko View Post
....And the reason the insiginia pulled away as i found yesterday with steve one of my vis's are down which i didnt know but will soon be fixed

And see what you started .....
Dan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-13, 01:28 PM   #75
Mark S

Mark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to allMark S is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by redzed View Post

still maintain that the zs is an extremely capable track toy and more than a match for any modern hatch on the track driver depending. yes ingear speed isnt as good, yes 0-60 times might be behind on some. But they cost alot more have more power and still done leave the zs for dead. In all the track days ive done i have still never been overtaken by a single hot hatch. yes mine is light and has a few mods (not much; lsd, decat, itg, coilovers) its well looked after and also has no back seats and makes 173 bhp at the wheels. Ive done a back to back test against friends astras, golfs, clios, civics, leons etc, and havent been beaten. Im not making out it can beat a supercars, but it surprises everyone who sits in it and ive had so many comments once ive got back into pit lanes from people in "faster" cars which ive overtaken. I love it, yes it has it downfalls but it isnt slow depending on what your idea of fast is. There is so much to put into the calculations on what is fast and how to compare it to another car, gear ratios, power to weight, transmission looses, torque grafts, driver skill, the tyres it has, the type of track/road youre on. I love it, yes i have rose tinted glasses, but havent been proven wrong on track yet, and even if i did, i would look at the cost and see the other car probably cost 10 times more
I couldn't agree more, a very well balanced and honest opinion on the ZS.

Just to add to that, the bog std 180 is a capable car, and even without any mods a good track car also.
There is a guy I know of who has been racing a bog std ZS this season with nothing/little more than a set of slicks thrown on, and its done alright
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-13, 01:52 PM   #76
kev mocko

kev mocko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1971 View Post
And see what you started .....
Started one hell of a thread Dan just a shame some ppl had to put a few insultive things as comments considering we all get along on here quite well to be fair and help each other out which is what these car forums are all about
kev mocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-13, 07:51 AM   #77
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Only to be expected. Best left ignored perhaps?
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-13, 12:49 PM   #78
Eddie

Eddie will become famous soon enough
I’m going to go out on a limb here, this video is Dave chasing down George on track, you can clearly see the shortcomings of the stock ZS180, even though George was on 888’s and upgrade brakes the car was at its limit. Dave was running cams and manifolds and an ATB diff and reeled George in very quickly, within ½ a lap, in reality this can’t be down to outright power as Dave was at about 200bhp.
I went passenger with George the same day and he is a very capable driver and drove the car to the absolute limit, however, if the drivers swapped cars the results would have remained the same, the stock ZS is hampered due to its overall weight and handling, suspension isn’t particularly compliant at the upper limits as you can see from George’s car, body roll on entry and weight transfer on exit. This video shows how to exploit a ZS with 200bhp, weight reduction, power delivery and decent suspension coupled with improved braking.
If you surf Dave’s video’s for the VAG transplant you see this at another level, 100bhp more and well over 100 ft/lbs torque but the car handles perfectly on the same chassis set-up with the inclusion of a roll cage, there is a weight reduction over the front wheels due to the lighter engine and it’s placement in the bay.

I think this provides a fair comparison, also, just a foot note, I was on an XPOWER track day when Matt C was driving his BMW 330 diesel (think it was Matt) it was torrential rain and that BMW ran rings around most things out on track that day so don’t be too harsh on the lad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakRj...P6tOW_qmvL23yw
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-13, 06:17 PM   #79
daytona365

daytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the roughdaytona365 is a jewel in the rough
Well on the mention of track days....My last trip round Brands, I caught up with then round Graham Hill bend just breezed past a TVR Griffith 500..............I say no more.

Lets just say, what would you buy if money no object??? Spitfire or a Eurofighter?????
The Spit is outclassed, but it looks better, sounds BETTER and boy does it have soul........
daytona365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-13, 06:15 PM   #80
tcb 180

tcb 180 will become famous soon enough
Very Very True. What a way you have with words.
tcb 180 is offline   Reply With Quote