theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > Technical Area > Build Projects

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-16, 03:13 PM   #1
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Goodwood Restoration

I thought I would start a project thread for my car, with any luck it will spur me on to actually get on with things as well

So, to bring things up to date (most of this info is elsewhere in the forum):

December 2014 I picked up a MK2 Goodwood Green ZS180 on an 04 plate. It was purchased with crap paint (story goes a bodyshop messed up when fixing some stone chips), but other issues were unexpected, which included:
  • Little to no clutch control at all
  • BMC was not connected to the throttlebody
  • No antenna
  • No reverse lights
  • Overspray on rear lights
  • major leak in the V (obviously thermostat)
  • Boot Leaks
  • ATC Error (Turns out this is due to no temp sensor behind the bonnet)
  • Bonnet catch is hit and miss if it works
  • Holes in the boot, but no spoiler

First things first, sort the brake lights (Sorry no pictures).

Turned out that whoever fitted the sheddist (Actually Black Ice), was a bit heavy handed and installed the bracket over the reverse sensor wiring. so since the sheddist was not working, I removed the bracket, got rid of the crap wiring and refitted the bracket and a new sensor.

Reverse lights now working as they should. So I went to look at the sheddist, turns out it was not bled and the reservoir was leaking big time. So replaced (and relocated) the reservoir and rebled with the slave disconnected from the gearbox. Reassembled and now all good again.

I then went to install my new temperature sensor to behind the bumper, only to find that there was no wiring for it, indeed the wiring had been cut fright back to where it entered the loom, so I have made up some more wiring and fitted it. After a reset of the ATC I found that the "Hedghog" had died, so at POL last year I found someone who had a spare one, brought it and fitted it to my car.. all working well now - except I then found out that the Aircon is not working due to a damaged (hole) aircon radiator (although i think its called something else)... so thats a job for the next few weeks!

On to the rear lights. This is the state of the lights when I got them, not bad but an MOT failure:

So we set about sanding them down and then putting a subtle tint (actually 2k "black perl" paint) and decent 2k clear over them, then once dried polished them up and fitted them:

With these pictures you can also see the new Extreme spoiler that was fitted to the boot.

Excuse the shorts! And the paintwork...

Next my Missus decided to get her hand on some of the engine bits n bobs (She's just finishing off the engine cover at the moment. So while she was doing that I set about following the guide on here and replaced the thermostat.

This is her first two finished items from the engine bay:

The cracking effect is due to an experimental paint called "The Kracken" from one of her suppliers.

Here you can also see the new pipe I fitted to connect the BMC back to the car.

In the last few weeks I have done LED lights into the roof lighting and added an MGF interior Mirror. I also added black oak to the dash/centre console:

And yes I am aware the car needs a hoover!

I think thats about up to date now! Sorry for the long post, I hope to get the car into the paint shop in the next few weeks and have something more to put here!

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."

http://www.bexairbrushing.co.uk
Old 15-02-16, 03:16 PM   #2
ZS
IT Administrator

ZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of lightZS is a glorious beacon of light
Progress for the last few months has been non existent as I have been rebuilding www.ultimatezs.co.uk (I will update when I am allowed to put that live!) for Ollie and his car, http://www.themgzs.co.uk/vb/showthre...ght=UltimateZS

Old 15-02-16, 06:40 PM   #3
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
You have a talented lady there.

The air con rad is commonly known as a condenser, IIRC I still have the one from GV51.

My rear lights have a similar tint, the last time they got MOTed in January 2015 they failed after passing 5 tests on GV51 and then FE54 so I now have a MOT only set as well.
Old 15-02-16, 06:58 PM   #4
jc600

jc600 is on a distinguished road
Looking good mate, love the air brushed stuff.....keep up the good work.

WWW.JCTUNING.CO.UK

MK2 MG ZS 180
Old 15-02-16, 07:03 PM   #5
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Sometimes you need a thread like this to get motivated, I should know! At least it's going in the right direction.
Old 15-02-16, 08:09 PM   #6
ZS
IT Administrator

Thank you for the positive comments guys it really does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
The air con rad is commonly known as a condenser, IIRC I still have the one from GV51.
I have one from the Red ZS I broke a while back, but no idea how to tell if it is intact or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkingcars View Post
My rear lights have a similar tint, the last time they got MOTed in January 2015 they failed after passing 5 tests on GV51 and then FE54 so I now have a MOT only set as well.
These passed the MOT in November, so should be fine

Old 15-02-16, 08:50 PM   #7
peterzs
promoted bloke!

peterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to beholdpeterzs is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Good luck with it all.

Old 15-02-16, 08:52 PM   #8
grimmy
its ginger its phenomenal

grimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud ofgrimmy has much to be proud of
Good on you for getting started.I really need the weather to pick up so I can get started on my car the poor soul has been stuck indoors for months now.
Old 15-02-16, 09:11 PM   #9
Dan1971
Site Ambassador

Dan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud ofDan1971 has much to be proud of
Yep few bits there to be getting on with from the start mate. Some good work by the Mrs in the engine bay though.
Old 15-02-16, 09:24 PM   #10
talkingcars

talkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to beholdtalkingcars is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZS View Post
I have one from the Red ZS I broke a while back, but no idea how to tell if it is intact or not?
The one Pete helped you with?
I guess you could get it pressure tested.
When fitting use new O rings.
Closed Thread