theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 11-02-08, 06:24 PM   #31
stamford
Site Owner

stamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud ofstamford has much to be proud of
Petrol head can't argue with that

In that case go for a Caterham, Westfield or a Tiger...............lightweight, plenty of fun and available in a variety of engines!
Old 11-02-08, 06:38 PM   #32
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Nope, still need a good size boot, so hear goes, and i really can't believe i am saying this but it may well be that the Astra GSi could be the answer ! 197BHP and 185 lb-ft of torque as standard is a good stating point ! ESP and traction control, leather heated Recaros, cruise control, 308mm front brakes, cheaper insurance (group 15 as opposed to 16), cheaper road tax (214g/km) 0-60 in 7.0 and 149mph ! I'm actualy starting to convince myself now which is good. What isn't good is i remember driving my brothers and while it was undoubtedly fast the thing that stuck in my head was the steering and for the wrong reasons - it felt over-assisted and too light, entering fast corners at high speeds didn't seem as balanced and natural as in the ZS but maybe that's something that time would change ?!
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-08, 10:25 PM   #33
ian zs180

get the cupra r mat its a much better car than the astra and you wont get the dreaded engine light coming on like most vauxhalls do
Old 12-02-08, 06:22 AM   #34
Mat C

What a confused person i am ! Cupra is out because it's 5 doors and now, the Astra is out for the fact that they are now 5 years old and my car is only 3 ! So i guess it's keep it and go for that pay rise ! Plus to convince myself to keep the Zed i think i might get some new wheels for it !
Old 12-02-08, 06:35 AM   #35
Maxfly
Site Ambassador

Maxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to allMaxfly is a name known to all
fit all the fuel saver things on ebay and surely with them all together you will have the power of a top fuel dragster but the economy of a derv polo bluemotion

go get that pay rise
Old 12-02-08, 08:56 AM   #36
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat C View Post
What a confused person i am ! Cupra is out because it's 5 doors and now, the Astra is out for the fact that they are now 5 years old and my car is only 3 ! So i guess it's keep it and go for that pay rise ! Plus to convince myself to keep the Zed i think i might get some new wheels for it !
It's okay Mat we all understand the predicament. I would like to sell my ZS as well..........but I am just not willing to step away with £3000 when I know it owes me so much more.

I looked at an MGF yesterday.........convinced it was going to be mine..........until I sat down and thought it through......plus with a little guidance from a good friend. I walked away and am keeping the ZS.

I am now looking into fuel.........and there are 4 LPG stations in my area tempted??? YES VERY! Thanks to Papa Lazaroo for doing all the legwork on this though as he seems to have done all the trial and error for proving it can work as it should.

The main fuel saving on the ZS180 is no hard throttle and keep it all below 3000rpm........that done MPG should be good. I say that......and sadly I just cannot stick to that myself.....I love the roar and the power it delivers.

Running on Super Unleaded is supposed to give benefits as well returning higher MPG to the tank.........dunno how or why but it is a consistant report from forum members as well as the press. BP Ultimate was my favourite but I tended to use Tescos Super Unleaded in the ZS frequently before prices spiralled out of control. Tescos being 'Esso' iirc

Jim
Old 12-02-08, 11:49 AM   #37
papa_lazaroo

papa_lazaroo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot Hill Bandit View Post
It's okay Mat we all understand the predicament. I would like to sell my ZS as well..........but I am just not willing to step away with £3000 when I know it owes me so much more.

I looked at an MGF yesterday.........convinced it was going to be mine..........until I sat down and thought it through......plus with a little guidance from a good friend. I walked away and am keeping the ZS.

I am now looking into fuel.........and there are 4 LPG stations in my area tempted??? YES VERY! Thanks to Papa Lazaroo for doing all the legwork on this though as he seems to have done all the trial and error for proving it can work as it should.

The main fuel saving on the ZS180 is no hard throttle and keep it all below 3000rpm........that done MPG should be good. I say that......and sadly I just cannot stick to that myself.....I love the roar and the power it delivers.

Running on Super Unleaded is supposed to give benefits as well returning higher MPG to the tank.........dunno how or why but it is a consistant report from forum members as well as the press. BP Ultimate was my favourite but I tended to use Tescos Super Unleaded in the ZS frequently before prices spiralled out of control. Tescos being 'Esso' iirc

Jim
Cheers Jim, By the way, I was a little miffed at the range I get, until I realised that once the LED Fuel gauge tells me I have used up my fuel, I can still get 80 miles on Empty.

I feel a double entendre coming on......... I can get a total of 600miles provided I empty both my tanks
Old 12-02-08, 04:25 PM   #38
Mat C

Result ! I've managed to get a (small) payrise today ! i've got an extra 50p per hour which on my basic 40 hour week and after my tax works out as an extra £16. That will make life a lot easier - i know it doesn't sound a lot but it really will make all the difference ! So now it looks like the Zed is safe and there could well be a tasty set of rims being fitted very soon courtesy of my good friend, Mr Tax Return !
Old 12-02-08, 04:31 PM   #39
georgiansoccer

Mat C is it a brand new Astra you are looking at?

I think you are looking for a change more than anything.

Parkers are saying 0-60 in 7.7 for the 197bhp astra which is gonna be almost a second slower that yours.

If you want economy then a diesel or a smaller petrol 1.6 is the only way to go.

If you do a lot of town driving then that kills even the diesel economy
Old 12-02-08, 04:43 PM   #40
ZS180V6

ZS180V6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_lazaroo View Post
Cheers Jim, By the way, I was a little miffed at the range I get, until I realised that once the LED Fuel gauge tells me I have used up my fuel, I can still get 80 miles on Empty.

I feel a double entendre coming on......... I can get a total of 600miles provided I empty both my tanks
Did a quote online for the ZS180 :

Selected Vehicle:
MG ZS 2.5 180 Saloon 4d 2497cc.
LPG System BRC Sequent (G)
Tank Toroidal
Cost of Conversion £1,900.00 + VAT
Net Cost of Conversion £2,232.50 inc. VAT
Petrol Spend PA £1,561.28
LPG Spend PA £880.14
Saving PA £681.15
Saving after 4 years £2,724.59
Return on Investment 30.5%