theMGZS.co.uk   Navigation

AboutNews Flyers Forum Events Home

Home
Go Back   theMGZS.co.uk :: MG ZS forum > theMGZS.co.uk > General Discussion

Old 09-02-08, 05:37 PM   #11
Craig
Back Again!

Craig is on a distinguished road
easy solution, swap the 180 for a 105 zr and then spend all the money you have saved on modifications.

Note to stevie A, sorry mate only joking

Craig Darroch

Create your badge
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 05:49 PM   #12
Mat C
Who watches the Watchmen?

Mat C is on a distinguished road
Well, to answer a few questions - i would have to be flat broke before i even considered a diesel, infact i'd rather take a hacksaw to my todger than run a diesel ! MPG figures, well book figures as we know don't tell the full story, it's the real world that matters. Using the GSI again for comparison, where i was getting 20 or so MPG around town my bro would constantly get 30+ so to me that's a 50% improvement. As for the Renault, a friend of mine has had a Clio Cup for 3 years now and hasn't had a single problem with it - oddly enough he made the same joke to me about reliability and surveys about satisfaction with MGR products , it just goes to show don't be so quick to believe every thing you see and hear ! As for a ZR105, well i'm after a performance car so that rules that out
Mat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 06:33 PM   #13
ZS180V6

ZS180V6 is on a distinguished road
I am having similar thought re my car.

Use it to do daily commute to London and the running costs are high.

Petrol is going up all the time and so is the tax.

Doing motorbike CBR on Friday so may well get a Honda Varadero.

If I were to pick a car would go for the Renault Megane Sport 225

Looked at the F1 addition and still fancy one............
ZS180V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 06:42 PM   #14
StevieA ZS120

are any of the cars you have shortlisted going to ease the burden of fuel costs tbh i mean all of the cars you want seem to have more power than the zs by up to 45bhp
Old 09-02-08, 07:02 PM   #15
Mat C

That's true but real world figures - not pointless paper ones - deliver upto 50% more economy. So it looks good for the Renault so far but if i don't like the handling what for the 2nd choice ? Well, i really don't think i should go for the RS. As much as i dislike the Vauxhall badge, it could well be the Astra in 2nd place. They have great equipment levels and the build and reliability is good. So i may well be looking for 2 test drives soon and then it's a case of getting as much as possible for my car.
Old 09-02-08, 07:03 PM   #16
Glen290

Glen290 is on a distinguished road
I had a 225 before the 180, and even though i miss it, i dont miss the poor reliabilty it had.
Electrical gremlins galore. Had the RAC out a few times when the thing wouldnt start, all the light on the dash lit up and the only way in the end to get it going was to disconnect the battery and reset the system, also the auto steering lock had a habit of staying on and then the car wouldnt start.I paid out £300 quid for renault to trace a broken abs wire so i could get it mot'd and gone..
Go for a vauxhall if you are really set against changing..but avoid the megane..

www.bowluk.com
Glen290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:22 PM   #17
afcbadam

afcbadam is on a distinguished road
i was thinking off selling mine due to the running costs and getting a diesel. anybody got any ideas off a diesel thats similar in price acceleration and size to the zs 180????
afcbadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:31 PM   #18
markyzs180

markyzs180 is on a distinguished road
difficult one mat....having only had my 180 for 2 months and having considered most of the cars on your maybe list I still went for the 180.....the megane WILL break and be worth pennies once you've had enough...leon cupra, sitting at the lights when test driving one i suddenly became aware that i had one either side of me and one coming the other way, like a rash down here kiddo! honda, naahh v expensive when they go wrong, and they do you know....rs focus, mates got one he drives like a granny and gets about 18mpg if he's going down hill and you ain't gonna get a decent one for less than 12k so its the astra but can you really believe that you'll be at the pumps any less in this??

i'd consider spending 2k on an lpg conversion, it will have paid for itself in approx 100 fill-ups and it'll only cost you 25 quid when you do!! still got the v6, still got the noise, still got the smiles....

tough choice tho kiddo

2005 MG ZS 180 Saloon Gone, but still in the family....
markyzs180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-08, 07:37 PM   #19
Mat C

There's only one problem with getting an LPG conversion apart from the huge out-lay ! We don't have any petrol garages around our way that sell LPG, the nearest one to me is some 35~40 miles away near Lincoln on the A15 !
Old 09-02-08, 07:38 PM   #20
Boot Hill Bandit
Coming back home!.......

Boot Hill Bandit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
i'd consider spending 2k on an lpg conversion, it will have paid for itself in approx 100 fill-ups and it'll only cost you 25 quid when you do!! still got the v6, still got the noise, still got the smiles....

tough choice tho kiddo
I don't think I could have put it better myself......just what I was thinking. Spend £2000 to keep what you have rather than lose money selling what you have and spending more on something you don't really want.

If it is of any help......if things get difficult for me in filling my ZS up at the pumps...........LPG is one very serious consideration for me..........and I would make the LPG conversion pay off by driving the ZS as much as I could

Jim